Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of bleaching that happens is due to temp and lighting, but it could be an infection? But without knowing what caused the infection, there’s not much you can do. I wouldn’t do any dips, as that will cause more stress. What halide bulbs are you using? I tried some cheap Chinese bulbs and they really dropped in output after about 6 months. I just picked up some Ushio bulbs, which are going in ASAP.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of bleaching that happens is due to temp and lighting, but it could be an infection? But without knowing what caused the infection, there’s not much you can do. I wouldn’t do any dips, as that will cause more stress. What halide bulbs are you using? I tried some cheap Chinese bulbs and they really dropped in output after about 6 months. I just picked up some Ushio bulbs, which are going in ASAP.
I’ve got 10 years worth of Ushio and some remaining Hamilton

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No way! Don’t forget about ballasts too. But all that aside you boys are clam experts, let’s go!
I’ve been running the Reef Brite electronic ballasts, but one just stopped working and they sent me a replacement, fortunately I had a couple galaxy ballasts and just switched the ballasts out and rewired the pendants. I was using hammies (14k) but they ran out of stock and tried some Chinese bulbs, which were okay at first, but then they lost a lot of intensity after the first couple months. I found a reefer here who had some extra Ushio bulbs, so I bought a couple. I’m hoping that Hamilton produces more bulbs or I can find more nos Ushio’s? If not, I might have to jump down to 10k? I’m not ready to go all LED on my acropora/clam tank just yet.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks about the Gigas! I would worry that a dip might make things worse and stress him out more. Check your parameters carefully to try to identify if there were any changes that potentially caused the bleaching. A little feeding may be in order considering the zooxanthallae photo system in the clams mantle is obviously stressed.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks about the Gigas! I would worry that a dip might make things worse and stress him out more. Check your parameters carefully to try to identify if there were any changes that potentially caused the bleaching. A little feeding may be in order considering the zooxanthallae photo system in the clams mantle is obviously stressed.
I’ve killed a lot of clams over the years. Clams that I’ve had for many years in fact. It’s just a thing I reckon. I’ll keep watching this dude and if it gets any worst I’ll dip him. The dip in my opinion is something we all might consider doing every couple of years.

That large squamosa was a rare morph I haven’t seen since. Hard loss.

Attachments

• IMG_3549.jpeg
    IMG_3549.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 19

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Our gigas (which we have had for about 1 year has recently developed a bleached spot overnight. The tridacna is also pulling its mantle in at that location. This is not from shading, and I do no see the clam being pestered by tank mates. I run 250watt 14k halide lamps. Does everyone think a fresh water dip is in order?
IMG_3545.jpeg
That is a localized injury due to? I never seen anything like this before. Sorry

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, only other thing to mention is that the halide bulbs are about 9 months old, BUT I’ve never had an issue with that and other clams in the past…
I will move the clam to a lower light area and see how it goes. I had a gigas that had gas bubble disease that can be cured by a few days of chill off in the sump

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just monitor the clam and see if anything changes. If you didn't change lighting or water parameters, then there's no way of telling what caused it. It could be from lighting, infection or physical injury, etc.... If it's not getting worse, then I would just monitor and see what happens. It may also have zero affect on the clam it will be just fine.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to worry boys. Cause I know it’s been keeping all you clam experts up at night, but the gigas appears to have healed itself. One again my neglect paid off. Neglect is the best medicine in this hobby folks.

IMG_3662.jpeg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been covered..

What is the minimum par that a derasa and a maxima can have?

Is it okay to put a derasa on a rock?

Thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back