Got LifeReef ??? Show us your LifeReef Sumps, Skimmers, and Anything else you may have by LifeReef.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this new gray/orange color scheme!

i-q4JnjQH-XL.jpg

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my Lifereef VS3-48 Skimmer I'm running on my heavily stocked 190 gallon reef. Don't mind the mess as this is in my basement, so show quality is not necessary. I've had this skimmer on my tank for the past 2 years and it runs flawlessly. Literally set and forget. The skimmate smells so bad that when I clean the collection cup, it literally stinks up the house for a couple hours. I've had skilters (yes, I've been in the hobby that long.. LOL) ETSS downdrafts, EuroReef, Vertex and Reef Octopus skimmers... I will NEVER go back to that junk. I also have an order for a custom LF1-300s on the schedule for October and cant wait.

The skimmate in the 2nd picture is less than a week. Keep in mind that is an 8" collection cup.
Also, in case anyone is interested, I'm running a DeepWater BLDC 15000 pump on this skimmer rated for 4,000 GPH going through one Mazzei injector. Yes, that's the controller and ballast for the pump in the background.

IMG_2891.jpg
IMG_2892.jpg

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my Lifereef VS3-48 Skimmer I'm running on my heavily stocked 190 gallon reef. Don't mind the mess as this is in my basement, so show quality is not necessary. I've had this skimmer on my tank for the past 2 years and it runs flawlessly. Literally set and forget. The skimmate smells so bad that when I clean the collection cup, it literally stinks up the house for a couple hours. I've had skilters (yes, I've been in the hobby that long.. LOL) ETSS downdrafts, EuroReef, Vertex and Reef Octopus skimmers... I will NEVER go back to that junk. I also have an order for a custom LF1-300s on the schedule for October and cant wait.

The skimmate in the 2nd picture is less than a week. Keep in mind that is an 8" collection cup.
Also, in case anyone is interested, I'm running a DeepWater BLDC 15000 pump on this skimmer rated for 4,000 GPH going through one Mazzei injector. Yes, that's the controller and ballast for the pump in the background.

Wow, that’s a big skimmer for a 180. I’m setting up a 400 gallon and went with the 36”. Hopefully I’m not undersized. I also have a LF1-300 on order.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11b0bf51a6b9675bbf76586e8be0d481.jpg

LifeReef was the first Sump/skimmer/fuge set up I’ve ever had. 10 years of canisters before this.
I bought this along with a used 90 at my LFS but when I needed help, and even though I didn’t buy from him directly Jeff was helpful and generous with his knowledge in helping this newb. Love the simplicity of the set up and feel confident this will work for many more years and when I need to change anything I’m getting stuff with cool colors.

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a LifeReef skimmer, and I love it!! It pulls the nastiest skimmate and is truly set and forget. I run the stock Mag 9.5 and like the fact whenever this pump dies I can replace it with whatever pump I want. (Currently have a Lifeguard QuietOne 5000 as a backup/upgrade, but knowing I could use any pump rated for the minimum flow sold me. Jeff's stuff is solid and well made. A friend once told me this with another hobby and it rings true with this one "Buy once cry once" meaning buy quality the first time instead of buying lesser quality multiple times.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a LifeReef skimmer, and I love it!! It pulls the nastiest skimmate and is truly set and forget. I run the stock Mag 9.5 and like the fact whenever this pump dies I can replace it with whatever pump I want. (Currently have a Lifeguard QuietOne 5000 as a backup/upgrade, but knowing I could use any pump rated for the minimum flow sold me. Jeff's stuff is solid and well made. A friend once told me this with another hobby and it rings true with this one "Buy once cry once" meaning buy quality the first time instead of buying lesser quality multiple times.

I don't believe his skimmers are really even all that "pricey" are they cheap, certainly not. But for build quality, what they are rated for and how long they last, definitely not expensive when you lay it all out compared to other manufacturers.

Last edited:

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe his skimmers are really even all that "pricy" are they cheap, certainly not. But for build quality, what they are rated for and how long they last, definitely not expensive when you lay it all out compared to other manufacturers.
I agree 100%! If someone has a skimmer that uses a needle wheel skimmer and it lasts them 5yrs and the pump fails they have to buy that brand replacement pump (if they still make it) if not they have to buy a new skimmer or figure out how to make one work with their skimmer) The old school venture skimmer works with almost all pumps.

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my Nano Lifereef HOB overflow on my BC29 for over a year and has never failed me.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post screen shots of my sump 9 later using Triton, but figured why not do a Video :) and my first!!

Impressions, 9 months later the best investment made!!!

Posted updated Link (I re-did it as I kept saying Triton wrong) :)

Last edited:

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting up my life reef skimmer. I have his full sump set up..
My skimmer to me sounds pretty loud. Vs my reef octopus. In my other sump for my other tank. I’m using a cor-15. I rigged a silencer for the air intake.
So that is silent. But I easily can hear the water shwishing around in the bottom and possibly the venture part also as it sucks in air.. not the air it’s self but the girgle vibration. This is in my living room and I need it dead silent.

Any advice/tricks???

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting up my life reef skimmer. I have his full sump set up..
My skimmer to me sounds pretty loud. Vs my reef octopus. In my other sump for my other tank. I’m using a cor-15. I rigged a silencer for the air intake.
So that is silent. But I easily can hear the water shwishing around in the bottom and possibly the venture part also as it sucks in air.. not the air it’s self but the girgle vibration. This is in my living room and I need it dead silent.

Any advice/tricks???

Pictures of how you have it set up?

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of how you have it set up?
Will get it after work. Too much stuff in the way of my sump cam to take it now.
It’s just a clf2 I think it’s called I can’t remember. “His standard insump skimmer.
Only mod I did was change the air intake. It’s not connected to the collection cup any more. I made a diy silencer. Still wasn’t quiet enough so I took one off my reef octopus that’s not being used and it made it even better. Noise I hear now is th levbubble making. And it’s way louder then any skinmer I know

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will get it after work. Too much stuff in the way of my sump cam to take it now.
It’s just a clf2 I think it’s called I can’t remember. “His standard insump skimmer.
Only mod I did was change the air intake. It’s not connected to the collection cup any more. I made a diy silencer. Still wasn’t quiet enough so I took one off my reef octopus that’s not being used and it made it even better. Noise I hear now is th levbubble making. And it’s way louder then any skinmer I know

Did you seal the hole in the collection cup as Well? I know @Ditto has a CO scrubber attached to his lifereef, maybe he can add something. Mine is still connected from the venturi to the cup and it's virtually silent. The fans in my hood are louder.

U

User1

View Badges
I have a 2000 model skimmer of his and it is loud - but not the venture. It is how the water exits the skimmer that makes the noise. This will probably vary depending on how high you maintain a water level in the sump but that is the only noise I hear from mine. Also powered by a Cor 15 running at 65% at the moment.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going over with it with Jeff he is aware.
Here is a YouTube link.

Sounds almost like pump noise to me... but did you seal the elbow coming out of the top of the cup??

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a core-15 pump they are virtually silent. Maybe a small wind sound. And the air intake goes through 1 silencers.
I read someone talk about it’s the water going into the skimmer hitting downward

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a core-15 pump they are virtually silent. Maybe a small wind sound. And the air intake goes through 1 silencers.
I read someone talk about it’s the water going into the skimmer hitting downward

I'm not talking about the air intake into the venturi. I'm talking about the black barbed elbow you have in the top of the cup. If it is no longer being used to feed the venturi with air it needs a silencer as well and a good one. You are most likely hearing the sounds from inside the bubble chamber that are echoing in the collection cup. Mine makes similar sounds when I remove the air tube connecting the cup to the venturi. Try putting your finger over the elbow covering up the hole and see if that quiets up the noise a little.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back