Grounding Probe Failures

z4chburris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you use a grounding probe? Have you checked your grounding probe recently? And have you ever had a grounding probe dissolve?

I recently cleaned my sump and found my grounding probe dissolved and detached from the wire in the bottom of my sump.

I was getting stray voltage in my tank(50-60 volts), the culprit ended up being the cobalt geo therm heater. It has since failed and been replaced.

But after replacing with the BRS titanium heater, I now have zero stray voltage and I’m not running a grounding probe.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a grounding probe? Have you checked your grounding probe recently? And have you ever had a grounding probe dissolve?

I recently cleaned my sump and found my grounding probe dissolved and detached from the wire in the bottom of my sump.

I was getting stray voltage in my tank(50-60 volts), the culprit ended up being the cobalt geo therm heater. It has since failed and been replaced.

But after replacing with the BRS titanium heater, I now have zero stray voltage and I’m not running a grounding probe.
I use a ground probe with a gfci outlet. This will trip the circuit on any short. This is to protect me and my family, not the tank. Without a ground probe, a person becomes the ground path in the event of a short when reaching in the tank. I never recommended to use a ground probe without a gfci, as this will provide a ground path, and energize the tank if a short occurs. The circuit won't trip unless it exceeds the amperage rating of the breaker in that case, and can cause a fire as well.

OP
OP
z4chburris

z4chburris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a ground probe with a gfci outlet. This will trip the circuit on any short. This is to protect me and my family, not the tank. Without a ground probe, a person becomes the ground path in the event of a short when reaching in the tank. I never recommended to use a ground probe without a gfci, as this will provide a ground path, and energize the tank if a short occurs. The circuit won't trip unless it exceeds the amperage rating of the breaker in that case, and can cause a fire as well.
Which grounding probe brand do you use? My main issue was mine dissolving into my tank. It said it was a titanium ground rod, but I don’t think that was the case.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which grounding probe brand do you use? My main issue was mine dissolving into my tank. It said it was a titanium ground rod, but I don’t think that was the case.
I use this one. It may corrode over time too.
Rio RV2735 Rid-Volt Titanium Grounding Probe https://a.co/d/a35hujG

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any issues with them corroding in your system?
So far, no. I have noticed coraline algae growing on one that I have to remember to clean, but they were are all good on last inspection. My oldest is about 5 years.
I have 5 tanks that all have this probe, and are on gfci circuits. I will have to carefully reinspect them again though, now that you mention it. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
z4chburris

z4chburris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far, no. I have noticed coraline algae growing on one that I have to remember to clean, but they were are all good on last inspection. My oldest is about 5 years.
I have 5 tanks that all have this probe, and are on gfci circuits. I will have to carefully reinspect them again though, now that you mention it. Thanks for the heads up!
I have this brand as well and am using it in my other tanks. Mine lasted a year before corroding into a little pellet. I wish I would have taken a photo of it.

Haha I figured this post would at least be a good reminder of them and to check them. Hopefully yours is intact and working!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back