Stray Voltage in new tank. - Reliable way and any potential indicator to know before getting shocked

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks - Just finished setting up my 240 and I am having a issue - Stray voltage , Funny thing is i have a properly grounded main circuit (tested thoroughly) and a grounding probe connected to it.

Still my display pump keeps shocking me .is there a reliable way (preferably a light of somekind - that can confirm if there is a shocking potential stray voltage available in the tank ?

Also what are the strategies without shocking myself to isolate the device causing the issue ?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have nothing plugged in, do you have any voltage between the grounded slot and the grounding slot on your wall receptacle? If you pull your grounding probe out out of your tank do you still get shocked? Black = Ungrounded, White = Grounded, Green/Bare is Grounding. I made a house call to a friend who had a poorly grounded service and it was using his tank as a grounding means along with his copper pipe so yes he was getting shocked while taking a shower also.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Is there a way to add some kind of light which lights up if there is a stray voltage in tank ?
- Regarding voltage meter yes let me do.

- Regarding Ground - I checked it all the switches with receptacle testers before even starting any instruments and all seems fine. Also since there was a recent solar work done on the house - overall grounding is approved by city and no such issues as getting shocked while taking shower ever occur LOL so problem is specific to aquarium and equipment right now.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks - Just finished setting up my 240 and I am having a issue - Stray voltage , Funny thing is i have a properly grounded main circuit (tested thoroughly) and a grounding probe connected to it.

Still my display pump keeps shocking me .is there a reliable way (preferably a light of somekind - that can confirm if there is a shocking potential stray voltage available in the tank ?

Also what are the strategies without shocking myself to isolate the device causing the issue ?
is your pump submerged in your water?

if not does it shock you when you touch the housing?

if submerged does it shock you when you put your hand in the water?

if it shocks you when you put your hand in the water and the pump is submerged, does it shock you if you remove your ground probe?

is this just a slight tingle or is it knocking you on the ground?

having a ground probe without a gfci can allow current to flow, and your water could provide enough resistance allowing the circuit to operate without tripping the breaker. imo remove the ground probe unless it's installed on a gfci receptacle!

does all your equipment have a ground prong?

if any of the above...why haven't you replaced this faulty equipment?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage AC or DC? To your original question you can get current indicators but this should not be happening enough to warrant it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i was trying to get an idea about is there a way to find this out retroactively - recently 2 BRS heaters (new) and new skimmer seem to be giving issue when during setup it wasn't the case (after turning them on) So trying to understand the causes and if its some kind of systematic thing causing the issue, is there a way to get alerted so while i am away from home my wife has no issues or she knows not to touch the water and inform me.

Sure, but it's almost certainly something you'd have to design yourself and given the questions you're asking it's probably not within your ability.
haha - thats presumptuous but Cool - I don't know everything and not afraid to start with stupid questions.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is this just a slight tingle or is it knocking you on the ground?
Its definitely not knocking me to the ground (as besides heater there is no 110V in the water)
having a ground probe without a gfci can allow current to flow, and your water could provide enough resistance allowing the circuit to operate without tripping the breaker. imo remove the ground probe unless it's installed on a gfci receptacle!
No its not installed on a GFCI receptacle - so probably will remove it. Thanks.
does all your equipment have a ground prong?
Yes, All equipment have ground prongs.
if any of the above...why haven't you replaced this faulty equipment?

in a process to find out and also fool proof the system (idea to have a light on if there is stray voltage in the water).

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check it out - but the size will make it almost impossible to accomodate

They make them much smaller. You also need to figure out if it’s DC or AC if you want to rig something simple like a bulb indicator.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha - thats presumptuous but Cool - I don't know everything and not afraid to start with stupid questions.

I'm an EE and you've provided enough context for me to feel comfortable with making that presumption.

If you used a grounding probe with GFCI (as best practice would dictate) -- the GFCI would trip indicating you have a problem before you stuck your hands in the tank.

If you're not powering your tank from GFCI protected circuits, you're playing with fire. And I mean that in the most literal sense.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an EE and you've provided enough context for me to feel comfortable with making that presumption.

If you used a grounding probe with GFCI (as best practice would dictate) -- the GFCI would trip indicating you have a problem before you stuck your hands in the tank.

If you're not powering your tank from GFCI protected circuits, you're playing with fire. And I mean that in the most literal sense.
Cool - ignoring your first line and your previous comment.

Thanks for the tip - I guess thats where my learning is going.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t run my Aquariums without GFCI. Two Circuits to divide up the Loads, so I don’t have a loss if one trips. Also I don’t put the GFCI Receptacles behind the Aquariums, put them upstream, because if any water gets in them, they are toast. If you don’t think you can install a GFCI Receptacle yourself, there’s the short plugs with them built in. With GFCI’s you can unplug everything, put your grounding probe in closest to the device you want to check. Plug in Devices one by one. Also if you have an older home, it’s possible you could have bootlegged grounds at your receptacles.
A very dangerous situation. Check YouTube, on “Bootlegged Grounds.”

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys - just upgraded my receptacle to gfci, it didn’t take long and now eb8 and ground probe are connected to it.

Another dumb question here - will gfci help against dc voltage as well ?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont put any of my systems on gfci's but that's a personal choice and something that's not required and I'm 100% comfortable with!

I also run this control system for all my tank power ;)

Attachments

• 20230918_083425.jpg
    20230918_083425.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 96

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back