Grouper not eating

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vtail Grouper. I have had him about a year at about 4" then. He used to love the Marine Cuisine cubes. A few minths ago he started to prefer small silversides. He does not like the larger ones but he will eat them sometimes. He stopped the cubes a few months ago. I ran out of small silver sides and was cutting large ones in half for awhile . Well he stopped eating about 4 days ago maybe 5. Around two days ago I gave him a larger tank. He is the tank boss. He does not appear to breath heavy. He still swims and moves and bullies the Trigger like normal. But he is not eating and is not trying to. His stomach also while not swelled does not seem to be getting flatter as I would expect with no food for days. I don't think there is anything I can do but wait but I wanted to ask. Hes in a 180 with a Trigger and two Eels. He was i a 120 which was becoming cramped. I hope he livea as I just bought this new tank for him. I did treat yhe 120 with Prazi pro as sometimes he would get stressed and start to get flukes. I know that can dull the appetite. But this time seems longer and the fact that the stomach still looks full concerns me.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the fish some damsels as tank mates and then you will see how the situation is going for the fish.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sacrifice the Damsels?
You don't have to sacrifice anything. A fish with tank mates to swim with and possibly eat is what these fishes were born to live with. Puting on a black cape and praying to Neptune or Satan is not necessary, just put them in and worship like you normally do. The God of Creation will do the rest, your grouper will eat and live or not, but at least it had a choice other than frozen TV dinners that you thawed and cut up into portions you thought were the proper size. I might even rather die hungry than eat a cold rotted sardine that was floating around in a bowl of saltwater.

Mollies, guppies, or other live foods would also get me more interested if I was hungry.

Maybe think of it as recycling in stead of sacrifice, to ease your mind. Its just like green energy. Natural, and safe for the environment.

Ed Hutchings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some live feeder shrimp maybe. Along with some inexpensive damsels. I've owned several groupers over the years including a baby red caught out of the Florida intercoastal WW. You have to feed them live food. He won't sustain let alone thrive on frozen.

Back