gymnothorax zonipectis eel questions

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys one of my contacts got a bar tail moray eel in (gymnothorax zonipectis)

I was curious if anyone has any knowledge of them? @Slocke @lion king @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal ???

Just curious about them since they are smaller eels. Mostly wondering if they are fish safe? Got a baby yellow tang and a baby foxface as my smallest fish. Also not sure what size he is yet, he is super cool looking and looking for info. More out of curiosity but possible edition if it would work out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys one of my contacts got a bar tail moray eel in (gymnothorax zonipectis)

I was curious if anyone has any knowledge of them? @Slocke @lion king @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal ???

Just curious about them since they are smaller eels. Mostly wondering if they are fish safe? Got a baby yellow tang and a baby foxface as my smallest fish. Also not sure what size he is yet, he is super cool looking and looking for info. More out of curiosity but possible edition if it would work out
I recommend a quite large tank as they must have hiding and multiple cave structures and are capable of attaing average length of two feet. As with most eels, they will eat what can and cant fit in their mouths and will crush what it wants to eat. Their teeth are not sharp but rather flat and stubby and desire mollusks like clam and mussel for diet but its hard to predict with any eel ehat else they will have a taste for in a given tank.
They are semi peaceful and can be very active often annoying tankmates and lastly like most eels can be messy housekeepers and cause nitrates to rise regularly.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t know it but seeing as it is a Gymnothorax it is a fanged moray which specializes in eating fish. They are much safer with crustaceans but your smaller fish are at risk. The bigger the eel th bigger the fish it can eat.
I recommend a quite large tank as they must have hiding and multiple cave structures and are capable of attaing average length of two feet. As with most eels, they will eat what can and cant fit in their mouths and will crush what it wants to eat. Their teeth are not sharp but rather flat and stubby and desire mollusks like clam and mussel for diet but its hard to predict with any eel ehat else they will have a taste for in a given tank.
They are semi peaceful and can be very active often annoying tankmates and lastly like most eels can be messy housekeepers and cause nitrates to rise regularly.
I think you have this confused with the barred eel, Echidna polyzona. Eels of the genus Echidna and Gymnomuraena are the pebble toothed. Gymnothorax, Muraena, and Enchelycore are the fang toothed morays.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t know it but seeing as it is a Gymnothorax it is a fanged moray which specializes in eating fish. They are much safer with crustaceans but your smaller fish are at risk. The bigger the eel th bigger the fish it can eat.

I think you have this confused with the barred eel, Echidna polyzona. Eels of the genus Echidna and Gymnomuraena are the pebble toothed. Gymnothorax, Muraena, and Enchelycore are the fang toothed morays.
Youre absolutely correct. Seeing the name (which I hate latin terms), immediately came to mind - barred eel.
With fanged version, those fish are at great risk as they tear apart what they desire to eat no matter how quick a given fish can swim or hide and get closer to 3 feet in length

Last edited:
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So this guy is a pebble then? And gets to be 20 inches from what I read? I think a lot of people writing articles on these guys do confuse them for the eel @vetteguy53081 did as well thats why I was asking yall!

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's your connect? I'd be interesting in getting more elusive species if he/she access?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's your connect? I'd be interesting in getting more elusive species if he/she access?
So I talk with him on FB, let me get you the name of his shop. He has a website but I only every use FB to talk with him. Gimme a minute to ask him!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, his shop and website is NYC Fish N Corals, the one I talk to is Nicholas. Great to work with, wish I was in NYC to visit his brick and mortar store

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, his shop and website is NYC Fish N Corals, the one I talk to is Nicholas. Great to work with, wish I was in NYC to visit his brick and mortar store
Do you have a working URL? I cant seem to find one. would love to connect about eels and other rare stock.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back