Gyre comparison

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at gyre or gyres to provide water movement in my future system build. Right now I am thinking a standard 120 gallon tank. I have zero experience with them as I have been out of the hobby for a while. I love the water movement I have seen in videos. What I request and need are the pros and cons for the various brands in terms of function, durability, etc. All I currently have is a price comparison.
Maxspect and Icecap seem to be the predominant types , but would love to here about any other types. Maxspect is a bit more pricey than icecap and seems more powerful but from my limited view it seems. That most reefers really ramp the power of their Maxspects down. I have even seen postings of people running theirs at 30%.
Sound off fellow reefers! I really need opinions and advice.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used maxspect and went to reefwave45’s- dead silent at 90% 24/7, WiFi controllability, and easy to clean. I’m not a big Red Sea guy but the pumps are worth it

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal tank have the original max 150 ,still running strong only run it on 2 as it moves a lot of waters . I wouldn't use any other brand than Maxspect. When I had a problem with mine even though the warranty just ran out Carlos @ coralvue took care if it at no charge. Thought about upgrading to the newer ones but my 150 is still going strong ,can't talk myself into doing it when this one is still doing a great job. Bought new in 2015

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Two and still have one maxspect gyre. Very powerful. Have to keep it off full power or it’ll blow sand around even 6 ft away in a 180 gallon reef. When I had two opposing each other even at half power the would dig a hole in the middle. Wish tank was bare bottom but leopard wrasse needs sand. Mine is an early ( XF150 ) version so cant speak of the new ones. Having said that I would hope for more modular construction as mine is a royal pain in the a** to clean and reassemble. To many small parts. Started buying Nero 5 to replace them because of ease of cleaning. Not nearly as powerful though but also much more compact.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back