H. Erectus feeding

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been into fish keeping for a few months and been studying seahorses and I don't have a staple for all my fish I just feed 7 different types of frozen food I feed because variety is key but for seahorses it seems like the only thing to feed is mysis shrimp and brine shrimp as a care so
1.)what do I feed them
2.)what food additive like selcon or vitamin supplement is best

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got into building my tank and have not had any yet so take my comments as such but I have been researching for years on these little guys.

It really depends on your ponies. Captive bread can accept frozen foods other than mysis and brine but again its up to the pony most will if there healthy though. If the ponies are wild caught (not recommended) then chances are they will not take to frozen foods or frozen mysis and brine and will most likely only eat live that have been enriched if they eat at all.

This is a good source for foods and information on feeding

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/SeahorseFoods.php

I am sure others will be along with more info shortly

William_Liebbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis is the most nutritional with a soak in a little Selco and Garlic

Or the best additive actually is Vibrance from OceanRider.com it is expensive but a little goes a long way

OP
OP
S

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis is the most nutritional with a soak in a little Selco and Garlic

Or the best additive actually is Vibrance from OceanRider.com it is expensive but a little goes a long way
What could I supplement the diet with like a frozen treat like 1 time a week

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis thawed in saltwater and enriched with beta glucan, vitamin c and astaxanthin is what I feed mine. I have tried a little larger food, but I had to pull a larger piece out of one of the seahorses snout. It appeared to be choking on it, not something I want to do again. I replenish pods in the tank with live pods from Algae Barn and also use their live phytoplankton. These guys hunt all day. I was told by the breeder not to rely on Selcon as the shelf life is very short. Pe Mysis is supposed to be pretty high in fatty acids anyway. Seahorse Source has the enrichments on their site. I also tried live Mysid shrimp, but they seem to have disappeared and the shipping is very expensive.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best not to try and enrich frozen mysis as the enrichment just washes off and degrades the water. I do highly recommend enriching live brine shrimp or live mysis or ghost shrimp with Dan's Feed from Seahorse Source.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best not to try and enrich frozen mysis as the enrichment just washes off and degrades the water. I do highly recommend enriching live brine shrimp or live mysis or ghost shrimp with Dan's Feed from Seahorse Source.

Really thinks for the tip if you dont mind what to you do to feed your ponies?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really thinks for the tip if you dont mind what to you do to feed your ponies?
I feed mine Hikari or San Francisco Bay mysis. For a treat I enrich live ghost shrimp to stimulate their predator instincts twice a week or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back