Hangon Skimmer

Maz13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! New to the hobby, my daughter decided she needed some fish. Naturally she went out and purchased the beginnings and then handed it off to me. Usually I would be aggravated but I have found a love for the aquarium. I caught the bug and now want to do it right. I have a 55 gal saltwater with about 50lbs live rock, 20lbs give or take of mixed live and reg. sand. Running the filter system it came with, a tetra whisper 70, and 2 koralia 750 power heads. The tank has been up for a little over a month with 1 clown, 2 fire gobies, a red banded shrimp, and the generic cleaning crew of crabs and a snail or two. I need to get a protein skimmer but I have a lack a space so a hang-on model is going to have to do it. I would like to eventually get into some corals so I don't want to have to go back and upgrade all of my equipment. Any help I can receive on the best hang-on protein skimmer for where I am planning on going would be appreciated. Thanks

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size tank an aqua c remora would be a good skimmer imo, I have one on my 75 gal and its quite and does a geat job for the price!

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! The AquaC remora is the best hang on in my opinion.

Welcome to R2R!

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As another option, Reef Octopus makes nice hang-on skimmers. I use one on a 56 gallon in my office and have been happy with it. It seemed the best option going (with price considered) when I bought it a year ago. I think in general, hang-ons will not be as effective as in-sump or inline skimmers, but I and many others have been happy with the Octopus hang-ons. I would get the biggest one you can afford. This is the one I use but they make bigger ones:

Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer BH-100SS

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used Aqua C Remora for sale if you are interested, it is exactly like the one below. I just don't have a pic right now. I recently upgraded and bought an in sump skimmer. It is about 18 months old. I only have the skimmer for sale so you would still need to buy the pump. I think it works best with the Maxi-Jet 900 or 1200. I saw them online for 25 bucks. I paid 220 for the skimmer and pump from my LFS. PM me if you are interested.
skimmerRemora_70395.jpg

clarky2120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As another option, Reef Octopus makes nice hang-on skimmers. I use one on a 56 gallon in my office and have been happy with it. It seemed the best option going (with price considered) when I bought it a year ago. I think in general, hang-ons will not be as effective as in-sump or inline skimmers, but I and many others have been happy with the Octopus hang-ons. I would get the biggest one you can afford. This is the one I use but they make bigger ones:

Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer BH-100SS

I am using the Octo BH-2000 and within two days it was pulling some gross stuff out of the tank. It's been the best HOB skimmer I have found. The best part is the pump being on the outside of the tank.

clarky2120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the Octo has a much bigger reaction chamber than the remora. The pump is also larger and more powerful, but it will be more expensive.

OP
OP
M

Maz13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the input. Not quite sure what I am going to go with but I appreciate the ideas ya'll have given me.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Warner marine h2 and think it is pretty good, wish it would have come with a surface skimmer though.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 on the octo's. If you go with the aqua c remora, you would prolly want to go with the remora pro instead of the standard remora which I wouldn't use on anything bigger than a 30 gal.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever you do don't buy cheap. I made that mistake in the beginning for one not knowing any better and don't get me wrong the skimmer did ok. Maybe not the greatest but it pulled some stuff out. I would get as much imput as I possibly could and then make my decision. I have also heard good things from the remoras. I like in sump skimmers just because you can get them bigger.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Aqua C Remora on my 95 g it was ok but I upgraded to a Lifereef HOB skimmer & it pulls way more gunk out than the Remora did I am setting up a sump this week and it can go into the sump great to have the option to use it more than one way. the Aqua C did ok when I was going all with LPS but when the sps bug hit it wasn't big enough to keep the water in the condition the sps need

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever you do don't buy cheap. I made that mistake in the beginning for one not knowing any better and don't get me wrong the skimmer did ok. Maybe not the greatest but it pulled some stuff out. I would get as much imput as I possibly could and then make my decision. I have also heard good things from the remoras. I like in sump skimmers just because you can get them bigger.

Best advice in terms of equipment. If you think you'll want the better one later, just save up and buy the better. You'll eventually go out and buy the bigger later, and sell the other for half price. I lost a ton of money doing that in the start, but now I buy the best equipment and I don't have to worry about it.

If all else fails, ask questions :)

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Aqua C! It is an awesome skimmer from what I hear! just make sure you have plenty of flow and you should be fine! Welcome to Reef2Reef!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for AquaC Remora here. However, I'd go for the pro to step the pump up to a Mag3. Also, the surface skimmer is a nice add on to get rid of some of the surface slime and it loooks alot better than a big bulky pump with a foam intake cover dangling in the display IMO.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I can't help as I didn't use a skimmer on my 55g.
beasl bob I was just wondering what kind of water changes did you do or what was your maintence how many fish did you have in the tank? How successful was it just curious as everyone says you must have a skimmer to have a tank run.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back