Has anybody successfully rid themselves 100% of Aiptasia?

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Peppermint Shrimp. My experience was limited to a Kenya Tree coral that had one aptasia. It was one coral/rock that had the infestation. My LFS took the coral/rock - Put it in with their Peppermint shrimp - 5 Minutes later - no aptasia problem. Contact your vendor and about the Live Guarentee - should fix you up. Be aware of what you would be putting the peppermint shrimp into (I don't know what is in your tank).

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of aiptasia accidentally with a Tahitian butterfly. Didn’t have a big outbreak though, but they’d pop up enough to be annoying. Used to kill 2-3 visible ones a week with aiptasia x. No luck with peppermints, all dead within days if I even found them.

The butterfly went nuts in the first few weeks, it looked like it was trying to injure itself against live rock but then I saw it was gorging on aiptasia - which hasn’t been seen since... of course gotta be careful adding a butterfly to a reef tank.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered two new peppermint shrimp and a filefish. I don’t have really any softies in the tank so hopefully he won’t pick at any SPS!

Arrives Tuesday so hopefully everything arrives alive and I will drip acclimate this time to make sure they make it!

U

User1

View Badges
Matted filefish is what I used. Very cool fish and great personality. It won't happen over night but it will happen and you will slowly start to notice them disappear. Make sure you get the actual matted filefish / Acreichthys tomentosus. Also be aware if others haven't said it already that in most cases Aiptasia is all they eat. So once your tank is depleted, and if it isn't eating prepared foods that you normally feed, you will have to give him/her to the next reefer who has a problem :) I wish I kept mine since it was eating prepared food(s) but it was also eating my Xenia so he had to go.

I've also had good luck with peppermint shrimp and bergia's. The matted filefish was my favorite though.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 2x live aquaria peppermint shrimp eradicated all aiptasia from my DT! Within a week all were gone (not a ton though just began to start)

Filefish in frag tank has been in there for about a month now, no change in aiptasia...or at least not noticeable. One of my SPS seems to be receding or being eaten though but I can’t tell which one it is.

Just wanted to update so far. Peppermint get eaten by my sixline wrasse in frag tank so won’t work in there.

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210 gallon main display is infested. Purchased two file fish - won't touch it. Added another file fish from friend who claimed it cleaned his tank - won't touch it. Added a copperband three weeks ago and although he picks at the rocks not seeing much progress. I have tried the berghia but can;t seem to find them after initial introduction. Maybe they are getting the job done but I can't tell.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My 210 gallon main display is infested. Purchased two file fish - won't touch it. Added another file fish from friend who claimed it cleaned his tank - won't touch it. Added a copperband three weeks ago and although he picks at the rocks not seeing much progress. I have tried the berghia but can;t seem to find them after initial introduction. Maybe they are getting the job done but I can't tell.
On one of my tanks I had the same issue. Totally infested. I was working out of town for months on end ( home only every other weekend) and didn't have time to really do much.
I added a matted file fish and it was the same thing for about 2 months. Didn't see any progress. Until one day I noticed a small area clear of all the smaller aiptasias. Then 2 weeks later I noticed alot more were missing. Eventually over maybe a 6-8 month period, the file fish did his thing.

Fast forward 9-10 years and I started getting aiptasias in another tank and this time added a copper banded butterfly and it played out the same way.
It took a couple months before the fish actually started going after the aiptasias.
Also, with both fish, I never saw either eat a aiptasia during the day.
It must have been a nocturnal thing.

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard others comment that after a period of time the file fish eventually start eating eat. I do seem to notice that they appear to eat it when the lights begin to fade. I'm assuming they are trying to attack the aiptasia when they are receeding ?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The berghia seem to not be working and then all of a suddden the Aptasia disappear. It took a couple of months.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always use a torch light to target burn the infected area and deep into the cave its at, rinse in salt or RODI water and back to tank. never had one survive ever.

U

User1

View Badges
Edit: removed my post. I see I already replied. I'm such a dork sometimes :(

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my aiptasia is gone, used berghia's. I only bought 5 for a 100 gallon tank as the infestation was moderate. Took maybe 4 months.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Peppermint but my Melanurus made a quick snack of them. Added a CBB and had some success at first, but it looks like he's gotten lazy now and will not go for the ones in the crevices and tight spaces, I'm seeing more in those locations now.
I have been considering adding some Berghia Nudis but always have been reluctant because of my Melanurus ( he's a savage) making an expensive snack out of them. I've read that the Berghia are nocturnal and my Melanurus is buried in the sand before the lights go off, so I'm wondering if I should give them a shot. Anybody have experience with a Melenurus and Berghia?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Peppermint but my Melanurus made a quick snack of them. Added a CBB and had some success at first, but it looks like he's gotten lazy now and will not go for the ones in the crevices and tight spaces, I'm seeing more in those locations now.
I have been considering adding some Berghia Nudis but always have been reluctant because of my Melanurus ( he's a savage) making an expensive snack out of them. I've read that the Berghia are nocturnal and my Melanurus is buried in the sand before the lights go off, so I'm wondering if I should give them a shot. Anybody have experience with a Melenurus and Berghia?
Yes, I had a melanarus and berghia at the same time, no problems. Just put them in the tank after he's gone to sleep. They are nocturnal so they should pretty much not cross paths. If they do he, the melanarus, will only try one as they taste like aiptasia.
I got mine from Reeftown. Just be sure to follow the instructions on acclimation.

Back