Has anyone ever had luck with?

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a tiny clown trigger with small fish and as the trigger grows he doesn't end up eating the small fish?

OP
OP
M

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will always eat the other fish. I would suggest those tiny battery operated fish for little kids bath time, but the CT would eat those too. Sorry, just the way it is.
Thanks for the reply. In your opinion what would be the smallest or more on the peaceful side of fish you'd trust with a ct

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one don't feed the CT live food. He will be more aggressive. Buy shrimp from grocery store and be sure to peal and rinse well. As far as fish that's tricky. What size tank do you have him in?

OP
OP
M

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont, I'm contemplating buying a tiny one. It's a 225 72x30x24. And his main diet would be a seafood cocktail I make which includes table shrimp, scallop, squid, octopus, krill, clam, and Atlantic salmon. He then would have a choice to also eat what i feed everyone else which would be nori, pellets and flakes. No live food.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will just be buying time. I love CT's. It's up to you. For me I would have a predator tank. Buy a 4-6" CT and a Clown Grouper as well. They both will set you back a few bucks. Both fish have great personality's. I have had both. My Past Pics before 2014 074.JPG clown grouper(he was 10" before he jumped out) :mad:

OP
OP
M

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will just be buying time. I love CT's. It's up to you. For me I would have a predator tank. Buy a 4-6" CT and a Clown Grouper as well. They both will set you back a few bucks. Both fish have great personality's. I have had both. My Past Pics before 2014 074.JPG clown grouper(he was 10" before he jumped out) :mad:
Aghhh that sucks about your grouper. See my thing is I don't want a third setup lol. I was hoping maybe a tiny ct. Keep em well fed never live foods and not to expect too much for some gobies but hope some of my small yet not so small fish are ok like some dwarf angels, huge royal gramma, pair of clowns ect.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. In your opinion what would be the smallest or more on the peaceful side of fish you'd trust with a ct

Like someone else said, only a matter of time. If not when. maybe one of those mean orange damsels that get huge?

Horn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has a clown trigger that is about 12 inches with damsel and Clownfish which are about an inch or two.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone else said, only a matter of time. If not when. maybe one of those mean orange damsels that get huge?

Yes a garaboldy would hold his own. Several schooling fish would work 5-7 individuals. Trade in what you have to a LFS or sell them to your clubs members. :D

PS: Hey Go ahead and enjoy a CT for a year or two. There are occasions where you may have no real issues. I was playing it safe. :cool:

OP
OP
M

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garibaldi [emoji85] agh no damsels lol. I keep a blue devil and velvet damsel in my sump lol. Not for my display. The only damsel I would consider having in my display is 3 or 5 Allen damsels that's it lol.
My dad has a clown trigger that is about 12 inches with damsel and Clownfish which are about an inch or two.
See this is what i wanted to hear. Not so much that someone is keeping them with damsels because those suckers ate mean but clown fish sweet! And a 12 incher at that wow! I'm assuming he got em when he was very tiny? Feeds him a Lottt? They've been together the entire time?
Yes a garaboldy would hold his own. Several schooling fish would work 5-7 individuals. Trade in what you have to a LFS or sell them to your clubs members. :D

PS: Hey Go ahead and enjoy a CT for a year or two. There are occasions where you may have no real issues. I was playing it safe. :cool:
I'd just hate to get rid of my fatty about 1.5 maybe 2 inch royal gramma, 2.5 ish inch royal flasher wrasse, cleaner goby, cleaner wrasse pink spot gobies, bi color blenny, stary blenny, hawkfish and pair of clowns. The fire gobies not that big a deal but if I could get a tiny tiny ct that would coexist with most of those would be freaking awesome. So far only 1 person 12" ct with clown fish. .. Anyone else?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had another idea. Buy a small CT and see if it works out and if not trade him back in to a LFS or sell him. Well with all those fish it may work out since your tank is a real nice size. I truley love CT's.

PS: You have alot of great fish

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem you are going to run into is the same thing we see a lot of in the Nem/slown world. Yes you are going to be able to find some isolated examples where people have gotten it to work. Every animal is different. So sure it can be done, and if you're willing to take the risk then go for it. The bottom line is, you aren't truly going to know the answer until you do it in your system. The odds however are stacked heavily against you.

OP
OP
M

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had another idea. Buy a small CT and see if it works out and if not trade him back in to a LFS or sell him. Well with all those fish it may work out since your tank is a real nice size. I truley love CT's.

PS: You have alot of great fish
You are right, first hand is the only way. If he eats someone or is a little bully then a fishing we will go.
Ps. Thank you[emoji4]
I think the problem you are going to run into is the same thing we see a lot of in the Nem/slown world. Yes you are going to be able to find some isolated examples where people have gotten it to work. Every animal is different. So sure it can be done, and if you're willing to take the risk then go for it. The bottom line is, you aren't truly going to know the answer until you do it in your system. The odds however are stacked heavily against you.
I just wanted to ask because although I know every fish can be different I've never heard of a lion fish that never ate a clown fish eventually or hunted anything that fit in his mouth till he ate em, but a clown trigger. ... You guys are right though. Only way for me to find out if it will work is to try it first hand I guess. I just wanted to hear if there were any isolated examples of people being able to accomplish it and if so with what fish, what size tank, what size was the trigger etc. I would still like to hear it if anyone else has been able to accomplish it but not so much for hope but for ideas as to how they did it.

tony chau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small CT, trigger, clown, v. Puffer, manderain, blenny, and engineer goby all in 29 bio cube. All small for now til I get a bigger tank. They seem to get along as long as I feed them daily
20150722_191025.jpg
20150626_174653.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should your clown trigger decide one night that he does not wish to have tankmates, virtually nothing is safe. It's a reality of CT.

That said I may plunge and take the risk when I set up my 10" tanks when I move.

I will say though that the stories of this happening remind me of the bad rep sohal tangs have - one or a few stories repeated by fifty other members but personal experiences are far more tame. I think people have more trouble with sohal tangs than clown triggers and I've never had a problem sohal. My current sohal is nowhere near even my most aggressive tang.

OP
OP
M

mmarro99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small CT, trigger, clown, v. Puffer, manderain, blenny, and engineer goby all in 29 bio cube. All small for now til I get a bigger tank. They seem to get along as long as I feed them daily
20150722_191025.jpg
20150626_174653.jpg
That is gorgeous. My concern though is in the long run.
Should your clown trigger decide one night that he does not wish to have tankmates, virtually nothing is safe. It's a reality of CT.

That said I may plunge and take the risk when I set up my 10" tanks when I move
Aghh the envy. .. a 10' is my dream tank. 10x3x2[emoji7] [emoji7] [emoji7] but I might just take the plunge in my 225 lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want two 10" my Angel tank and my tang/reef/wrasse tank

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back