Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had this
4D0E7CFD-8F65-4A74-A394-F3E655C35A88.jpeg
1C7BFC5B-611B-4DD1-BE19-A11F39206AD6.jpeg

And it arrived and was .75” and mobile and weighed less than an ounce…

Would you put it on the sand in a 75g tank with mp40’s, nassarius snails and a conch, and other critters? If this thing flips upside down it could be dead overnight. If it gets blown behind rockwork I might never see it again. I plugged it to keep track of it and I will pick where it goes based on what it needs. I feed and monitor daily. When it’s larger I will likely remove the plug but for now it’s staying on the plug.

<I know someone else who got the same thing, same size, and it moved several times in the first week and he woke up to it upside down on the sand with bad tissue recession and it ended up dieing>

My first thought when I saw it and it was fingernail size was I need to keep this safe until it’s larger
It is crazy to think corals and anemones can move without brains. Are they designed to move to better spots? You plate clearly has good growth so you're doing something right.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is crazy to think corals and anemones can move without brains. Are they designed to move to better spots? You plate clearly has good growth so you're doing something right.

They can poof up with water to increase buoyancy and surface area to “float/drift” to new areas with current. The idea being of conditions are poor they will roll the dice and hope to land somewhere better.

They need proper lighting, flow, and food. If I place in the right lighting and flow, and feed regularly, it will have all it needs and will grow

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green and red is my diaseris I bought about 2 weeks ago now. The orange is a plate - cycloseris?? I’ve had for 4 about 4 years now i think
IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3793.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mother plate self propagates to make the babies…seller has had many years and said none of the babies are frags he made. He has to wait for the parent plate to split on its own to make the babies

Do all plates do this or just diaseris ?
Ex-Diaseris does not bud anthocauli; it self-frags into four smaller pieces. H. fralinae is the only species common in the hobby that commonly buds anthocauli. You can tell it is H. fralinae because of the purple acrospheres; no other Fungiid has those.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had this
4D0E7CFD-8F65-4A74-A394-F3E655C35A88.jpeg
1C7BFC5B-611B-4DD1-BE19-A11F39206AD6.jpeg

And it arrived and was .75” and mobile and weighed less than an ounce…

Would you put it on the sand in a 75g tank with mp40’s, nassarius snails and a conch, and other critters? If this thing flips upside down it could be dead overnight. If it gets blown behind rockwork I might never see it again. I plugged it to keep track of it and I will pick where it goes based on what it needs. I feed and monitor daily. When it’s larger I will likely remove the plug but for now it’s staying on the plug.

<I know someone else who got the same thing, same size, and it moved several times in the first week and he woke up to it upside down on the sand with bad tissue recession and it ended up dieing>

My first thought when I saw it and it was fingernail size was I need to keep this safe until it’s larger
That's a Heliofungia fralinae, not a an ex-Diaseris (Cycloseris fragilis/distorta)

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation!
Personally I don’t mind what it’s called, it’s a beautiful piece and eventually will self bud/frag. Win win for me!

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation!
Personally I don’t mind what it’s called, it’s a beautiful piece and eventually will self bud/frag. Win win for me!
For context: Budding anthocauli and self-fragging are two different things. Budding is sprouting anthocauli from damaged or dead skeleton. This is common in Heliofungia fralinae, Sinuorota hexagonalis, Lobactis scutaria, and Fungia fungites (I'm not totally sure on the last one; I'm just making an educated guess based on how they can be found in colonial aggregations/monospecific fields) Self fragging is literally the coral breaking itself apart and then regrowing. This is really only seen in the ex-Diaseris species. Think of it as similar to extracalicular vs intracalicular budding.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context: Budding anthocauli and self-fragging are two different things. Budding is sprouting anthocauli from damaged or dead skeleton. This is common in Heliofungia fralinae, Sinuorota hexagonalis, Lobactis scutaria, and Fungia fungites (I'm not totally sure on the last one; I'm just making an educated guess based on how they can be found in colonial aggregations/monospecific fields) Self fragging is literally the coral breaking itself apart and then regrowing. This is really only seen in the ex-Diaseris species. Think of it as similar to extracalicular vs intracalicular budding.

I just read about this last night. I used to think it was the same but I understand the differences. Seller also confirmed this is budding and heliofungai. I assumed since it made its own offspring it was diaseris, but I realize that was wrong. Thanks for the info!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back