Hawaii fish ban update

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's kind of a vast grey area the way it's written. All it indicates is "personal home aquarium" and that you can transfer said fish caught out of state (provided you obey all rules and regulations for collecting fish and the state you reside in). All the law really says is that you cannot sell the fish commercially (which requires a commercial fishing license, which have all been suspended).

Once the fish are no longer in Hawaii I seriously doubt Hawaii has any recourse - so it would be up to individual states if they choose to prosecute hobbyists selling a handful of fish. Unless the volumes and dollar values are there - I just don't see it even popping up on anyone's radar.

I have no problem with people legitimately travelling to Hawaii to stock their own tanks or replace fish that have died. And if they so happen to wind down their tank or sell off any of their fish (due to fish behavior, compatibility, etc.) - that's not really my call, either.
You are all over it. Problem is that these guys have all the intention to sell the fish and it was never intended for the collectors personal tank. What happens next is that when people get busted for poaching, which is exactly what this is, it makes the whole industry look bad and the haters use that as fuel to raise their cause. Sucks for the guys waiting it out and also for the companies that have poured tens of thousands into fighting this battle.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent news of Hawaii?
In a nutshell, the injunction for the West Hawaii Regional Fishery Management Area (WHRFMA) has been lifted - but the injunction banning aquarium fish collecting remains in effect everywhere else in the state. This doesn't mean commercial aquarium fishing in WHRFMA has resumed, though - as the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is not issuing any new permits (so it's still illegal beyond collecting for personal use). Various environmental groups are appealing this and the Hawaiian state legislature is considering a bill to make a statewide ban permanent. This was back in January or February this year, so I don't think anything else has changed since.

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carribean has yellow tangs . Last time I snorkeled in the carribean I saw a lot of them
Those are most likely carribean blue tangs in a juvenile stage:
1690081496245.png

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh this is so sad! I just want a yellow tang. I wasn’t in the hobby when they were wild.:crying-face: Also I get why they have the ban but I still believe the aquarium industry has very minimal effects on the ocean in the big picture compared to pollution and overfishing and most aren’t collecting endangered species. The Biota ones are so tiny, expensive, and see-through.
Yes for literally 3 weeks , after constant feeding literally they not “see tru” literally after 3 weeks lol if u want one bad just get it ….

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The carribean has yellow tangs . Last time I snorkeled in the carribean I saw a lot of them
Are you sure it’s not the carribean blue tang which is yellow with blue eye ring in juvenile colors?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will be there this time next week and will try to get latest rundown

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This should be a good trip. I hope you see abundant reef life and bring back some good memories and pictures to share with us.
Pics will be posted and I was told to see an abundance of butterflies, parrotfish and tangs and some turtles and dolphins
Weather in the 80’s- should be good

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does Indonesia. They’re a pain to get hold of but it’s not impossible like everyone says it is.

Honestly I do believe you, I heard stories of people seeing a purple in Australia which should be so called kept to the Red Sea. And I’ve also heard of Yellows in the Caribbean.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So does Indonesia. They’re a pain to get hold of but it’s not impossible like everyone says it is.

Honestly I do believe you, I heard stories of people seeing a purple in Australia which should be so called kept to the Red Sea. And I’ve also heard of Yellows in the Caribbean.
Lately, many of our tangs are coming from South Africa. Its just great that we can still acquire many tangs without being hostage to one region

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Science, politics, special and aboriginal interest is a sorted/complex/illogical mix….

No opinions offered other than: “failure never fails”
edited and deleted ….

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest how fish health is neglected? From holding after collection, boxing them poorly to ship, wholesalers and lfs the fish are better in the ocean until everyone in this industry start to care about them and the health.
Everyone blames fish for fragile or it’s how it is but we kill them because we are worried about money and not the well being.
that said even customers are at fault supporting places that don’t do the right thing
That has nothing to do with Hawaii. We are the benchmark for taking excellent care of our fish

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nutshell, the injunction for the West Hawaii Regional Fishery Management Area (WHRFMA) has been lifted - but the injunction banning aquarium fish collecting remains in effect everywhere else in the state. This doesn't mean commercial aquarium fishing in WHRFMA has resumed, though - as the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is not issuing any new permits (so it's still illegal beyond collecting for personal use). Various environmental groups are appealing this and the Hawaiian state legislature is considering a bill to make a statewide ban permanent. This was back in January or February this year, so I don't think anything else has changed since.
The legislature isn’t considering banning us, that was easily defeated in the bills first hearing. And it isn’t that the BLNR “isn’t issuing” permits, but are waiting for the required procedures to be completed and THEN they decide. Lots of things going on internally

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The legislature isn’t considering banning us, that was easily defeated in the bills first hearing. And it isn’t that the BLNR “isn’t issuing” permits, but are waiting for the required procedures to be completed and THEN they decide. Lots of things going on internally
The article I referenced was probably outdated, so thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a lot of politics are still in play...

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hey Kona- was hoping to see you posting- Where in Hawaii are you?
Im there Friday and will be on another part of island (Oahu) with known acquaintances but coming to Capt Cook Monument for snorkeling/diving tour at kealakeua bay With Viator tour group.
Itinerary says South Kona region ?

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Kona- was hoping to see you posting- Where in Hawaii are you?
Im there Friday and will be on another part of island (Oahu) with known acquaintances but coming to Capt Cook Monument for snorkeling/diving tour at kealakeua bay With Viator tour group.
Itinerary says South Kona region ?
I sent you a message

teethdoctor23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for literally 3 weeks , after constant feeding literally they not “see tru” literally after 3 weeks lol if u want one bad just get it ….
Agreed, my biota yellow tang has gotten super colorful and fatttttt. Still a bit of white around the eyes unfortunately but I’m not too worried, he’s a super bright yellow in my tank.
IMG_1150.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back