Heater controller suggestions and a goofy question

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am entertaining getting a heater controller at the moment, and I’d love to get your suggestions for what any of you’d suggest. For reference I have a waterbox cube 20. I use two heaters at the movement for redundancy. Now for a goofy question. If I have these two heaters, and they both have a thermostat that is already attached will they function with a heater controller? Should I set both to max temps and have the controller control the temps?
Thanks a million for your suggestions!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I set my heater to the temperature I actually want, and then the controller to a little higher than that, so it'll catch the heater if it sticks on. I prefer it this way because my understanding is that it's the cycling on and off that is usually the failure point, so I'd rather the controller not cycle repeatedly and act as a fail-safe.

I know plenty of people do it the other way though - set the controller where they want it and the heater a little higher.

Definitely don't set the heaters to max temp - you want both parts to be set to a reasonable value so that if the controller sticks on for example, the heater will shut itself off before disaster, or vice versa.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back