Hefton's new tank build.

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I finally have my new system filled with water, and am doing some testing on the plumbing, I thought I would show some progress. I'll start from the beginning.

I purchased the tank used from Aquarium Obsessed some time last year. I believe it was Will's (from AO) tank that he kept at the AO office. The tank measures 74"x48"x32" all 19mm glass with the two long and one short panel starphire glass. The tank was completely disassembled and resealed prior to being sold. Since the tank was being rebuilt, I made some changes regarding the location of the overlow.

IMG_5249.jpg

The DT is kept in its own room on the main level of my house, and an equipment room is directly below it in the basement. The location in my house is not perfect for this tank, but I wanted it anyways. Matter of fact, the awkwardness of working on a tank this large may finally drive me out of the hobby for good. Anyways this is where the DT will be located.

P1010861.jpg

Steel stand in place.

P1020069.jpg

I construced an equipment room below the DT to house the sump, and all other supporting equipment. There are four posts, and a couple of laminated beams placed directly below the DT for support. The final support is framed up more than what is pictured, but this gives the basic idea.

P1010865.jpg

P1010864.jpg

Tank was delivered some time this past summer, and sat in my garage while I figured how I was going to get this thing into my house.

P1010902.jpg

There was no way to pick this tank up, and manage to get through doorways, so we used a small telehandler to reach it into the house.

P1020089.jpg

It ended up on some carts, wheeled into position, and lifted up with some jacks.

P1020114.jpg

A couple hundred pounds of Pukani base rock were strung up with acrylic rods and base plates to support the structures.

P1020131.jpg

The black duct above the tank was installed and runs directly to an HRV for humidity control (equipment room is also ducted to the HRV).

P1020130.jpg

A shallow sand bed was also added, probably about 300 pounds.

Plumbing from the overflow to the basement. The left is the return.

P1020414.jpg

The main siphon line (beananimal type) from the overflow goes directly into a three way valve.

P1020423.jpg

The valve controls the direction of the flow to either enter a 175 gallon tank, or go directly to the sump. The purpose of the tank is to create an easier way to do water changes, and also add more water volume to the system.

P1020416.jpg

P1020417.jpg

By directing the flow directly to the sump, I can isolate the holding tank from the system without interuption. Once isolated, the tank can be drained, filled with RO from the tank on the right side, add salt, mixed with the inline pump, and added back to the system.

Last edited:

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I was wondering about the progress. Looking very good. Now I have an excuse to come out and take a peak when i bring your tub back! LOL What you plan on using for a pump and flow in the tank?

Definately looks like you put a lot of thought into the whole build!

Eric

OP
OP
Hefton

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing from the overflow, skimmer, and holding tank to the sump. Leftmost is from the skimmer, lower flow from overflow, the true siphon from the overflow through storage tank, and the emergency from overflow.

P1020421.jpg

Equipment room pics, some things have been moved around since these pics, but it shows the basic idea.

P1020335-1.jpg

P1020333.jpg

Schuran Jetstream 2, and my DIY ozone rector (still a work in progress).

P1020418.jpg

P1020419.jpg

P1020391.jpg

And where I'm at currently, the entire system filled and water flowing.

P1020413.jpg

OP
OP
Hefton

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric,

Flow to the tank is from a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold.

P1020424.jpg

Circulation in the tank is now provided by two Vortech MP40's. Ideally I think I would like to have six.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric,

Flow to the tank is from a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold.

P1020424.jpg

Circulation in the tank is now provided by two Vortech MP40's. Ideally I think I would like to have six.

Whats the purpose of the "Y" coming right off of the pump? I haven't seen that before. For a Manifold or something else?

Eric

OP
OP
Hefton

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a wye type check valve. I know check valves are not the most reliable products out there, but it does stop the return line from flowing back to the sump immediately. If it ever did fail, I do have my outputs drilled below the waterline, and my sump will handle all the flow. It is nice though as it stops the siphon back towards the sump right away, and does not disturb the tank as much when power is restored.

Last edited:

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my build was as clean and organized as this one!!! Oh well.....can't wait to see more pics of this bad boy up and running or even progress as a whole.

ZoaGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is an awesome setup! I can't wait to see it up an running. I hope you plan to host some day.

OP
OP
Hefton

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update of what I've been up to.

I made a probe holder out of some scrap acrylic and pvc, and also added three Jager 250w heaters.

P1020429.jpg

Without any heat from lighting, and with the basement fairly cold, the heaters will only get this system up to 73 degrees.

A couple shelves for my controller, and for the Ozone reactor.

P1020425.jpg

P1020432.jpg

The Ozone reactor is finally completed, and working great.

P1020426.jpg

P1020427.jpg

ORP level at 400mv

Redox.jpg

Schuran Jetstream 2 is now online.

P1020428.jpg

I also made a bracket to hold the outputs from the Ca and Ozone reactor, and a few spares for other devices.

P1020430.jpg

Next project is to address the top off system. I think I'm going to get a metering pump and pump fresh RO from the 175 gallon storage container directly to the inline container. Also the lighting $$$$ :cry:.

Last edited:

three fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a TOTM in your future. Truely an amazing build. Thanks for sharing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back