Hello everyone! First time Marine setup...

coder0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, wanted to introduce myself. I'm up in Toronto, Canada and have had freshwater tanks for the past 35+ years. I've ALWAYS wanted to go marine but initially it was the cost factor, and later on it was the time factor as my job keeps me very busy. I bought a new 90G tank (reefer 450) that I was originally going to setup as a freshwater and then realized that I would regret it every day if I didn't go marine.

I'm a huge tech nerd and given the level of control and automation that something like the Apex provides, I'm thinking that I can probably design something that greatly reduces the amount of manual maintenance and upkeep. I pretty much suck at plumbing and woodworking, but I have a very strong background in electronics, programming, control systems, etc. and I really hope I can give back and provide insight in this area.

So here I am... trying to learn as much as possible in as short a time as possible (like drinking out of a firehose!). My LFS guy has been very helpful in offering advice, and I'm really looking forward to participating on this forum and learning from everyone else's experience.

The first thing I need to figure out is all my plumbing. I posted a thread in the newbie section asking for some advice on this, but I'd like to run PVC into the basement so that I can avoid lugging water from the laundry room or basement for water changes.

I'm big on planning ahead, and trying to do things right the first time around but I just don't have enough knowledge at this point to know exactly what I need to have in place, and what I might need for future expandability.

Looking forward to spending lots of time on here reading and learning from all of you, and VERY excited about finally getting into a marine setup! This has been my dream for 20+ years, and I'm super stoked that I can finally realize it! :)

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the wonderful world of salt water and to R2R! This is best online resource for all your needs. You'll definitely learn a ton and meet some engaging reefers. I wonder if there is a local reef club in your area? That might be hugely helpful at some point as well. Good luck and happy reefing!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is plumbing. Just map out your pipes before cutting or making anything permanent. Make sure you have a return pump big enough to push the water where you want it to go, there are a few choices either internal or external.

PLAN PLAN PLAN This is the important stage to make sure you love your tank rather then another part of the house you have to take care of.

Oh yeah....Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
C

coder0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome guys! For the plumbing, it's really a question of what are the minimum number of pipes I need to run, and what are future considerations that might be nice to have if I want to build AWC? eg. is it sufficient to have one drain, one RO/DI in for ATO, and one line in for the prepared saltwater solution? Or are there other things that I'll want to do in the future that'll require more pipes?

Totally agree on the PLAN PLAN PLAN part and having it something that I love and enjoy rather than it being a chore.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R;)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It's great to have you here!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back