Hello from Columbus, Ohio!

btdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello r2r!

My name is Ben and I am from Columbus, Ohio. I'll be 30 in September and I've never owned an aquarium.

Long story as short as possible, I have a best friend/colleague who was recently given a freshwater tank as essentially decoration in his home by his fiancé. Shortly after she bought him the tank, they split up and I have since been taking care of his tank mostly out of necessity because, frankly, he is a bit of a bum. I couldn't stand to see those poor fish living in squalor because of his laziness so I've been maintaining it for the last several months. During this time I have found an absolute love of all things aquarium. Cleaning, organizing, watching, listening- I get an unbelievable kick out of his tank. After about 12 weeks of taking care of the tank at his house, last night at about 11pm I decided I wanted my own tank to enjoy at my own home.

Fast forward to about 11:30pm and I have now discovered reef tanks! (Not sure if that's the proper term yet, sorry!). I stumbled across some pictures of beautiful reefs crawling with life and vibrancy and I knew right away I wanted my first tank to be both saltwater and full of beautiful corals. The time, patience, discipline, and hard work that goes into a reef sounds so intriguing. Not to mention how stunningly beautiful they are.

I stayed up last night until about 6:45a when the sun started to rise, having no idea I had become so enthralled with researching reefs that it had been almost an entire work day's worth of reading online through the night.

So here I am, hat in hand, ready to take a dive (pun intended ) into being a reefer hobbyist.

A little about myself- I was born and raised in Columbus and absolutely love this city. Between the Ohio state football team- go bucks!- and the shops and cool little suburbs that have been growing like crazy, it's a really cool place to be. Luckily for me there are several awesome coral shops local to me so it seems like a safe choice to go all in on my first tank because there is a great support system here locally so between everybody here and the guys locally hopefully I'll be asking a million questions and having people to help answer them and help me learn everything I can.

So here's looking forward to talking with some of you, and I can't wait until I have a tank of my own here in the next coming months to share with everyone

Tl;dr: I've never had an aquarium before, reefs are maybe the coolest thing I've ever seen, go bucks!

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the friendliest forum on earth. It's a great hobby but it can be a very discouraging one. Don't rush, do your research patiently, don't be afraid to ask questions and you will be succesfull in the hobby. That's when it its fun. Good luck

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello r2r!

My name is Ben and I am from Columbus, Ohio. I'll be 30 in September and I've never owned an aquarium.

Long story as short as possible, I have a best friend/colleague who was recently given a freshwater tank as essentially decoration in his home by his fiancé. Shortly after she bought him the tank, they split up and I have since been taking care of his tank mostly out of necessity because, frankly, he is a bit of a bum. I couldn't stand to see those poor fish living in squalor because of his laziness so I've been maintaining it for the last several months. During this time I have found an absolute love of all things aquarium. Cleaning, organizing, watching, listening- I get an unbelievable kick out of his tank. After about 12 weeks of taking care of the tank at his house, last night at about 11pm I decided I wanted my own tank to enjoy at my own home.

Fast forward to about 11:30pm and I have now discovered reef tanks! (Not sure if that's the proper term yet, sorry!). I stumbled across some pictures of beautiful reefs crawling with life and vibrancy and I knew right away I wanted my first tank to be both saltwater and full of beautiful corals. The time, patience, discipline, and hard work that goes into a reef sounds so intriguing. Not to mention how stunningly beautiful they are.

I stayed up last night until about 6:45a when the sun started to rise, having no idea I had become so enthralled with researching reefs that it had been almost an entire work day's worth of reading online through the night.

So here I am, hat in hand, ready to take a dive (pun intended ) into being a reefer hobbyist.

A little about myself- I was born and raised in Columbus and absolutely love this city. Between the Ohio state football team- go bucks!- and the shops and cool little suburbs that have been growing like crazy, it's a really cool place to be. Luckily for me there are several awesome coral shops local to me so it seems like a safe choice to go all in on my first tank because there is a great support system here locally so between everybody here and the guys locally hopefully I'll be asking a million questions and having people to help answer them and help me learn everything I can.

So here's looking forward to talking with some of you, and I can't wait until I have a tank of my own here in the next coming months to share with everyone

Tl;dr: I've never had an aquarium before, reefs are maybe the coolest thing I've ever seen, go bucks!
Welcome to R2R!!! You're in the right place to learn about this crazy hobby. Best advice
I got was to take my time and do lots of research. Best of luck and ask lots of questions!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I am sure as you go along you will have a bunch of question. Please feel free to ask here on R2R. Since this is your first tank, and even jumping into reefing research your moves and set a budget and patients and you will be successful.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!
We are all here to answer questions, any question :)

How many orbits is Juno doing in the next 20 months of Jupiter?

You said anything:D

OP
OP
btdz

btdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is a very active place! Check the local club pages for a few minutes, and come back to several welcomes already! Thank you!!

Yes, I am nowhere near spending a dollar on anything quite yet. I went and talked with the owner and a couple employees at rivers to reefs, a local shop here in Ohio and got a lot of great insight.

After spending so much time in one night researching, I had to go see a couple tanks for myself. Had a lot of questions about DIY sumps, drilling, chemistry, etc. as well as different types of corals and fish.

I think as of now the plan is to go with roughly a 100g display tank and probably about a 40g sump. Now it's time to research exactly what I want to put inside of the tank! Starting with different rock and fish and getting the tank setup and seasoned sounds like quite a task but I'm ready for the challenge. I already have a million questions but I have a lot more research to do on my own before I break down and ask for help haha. The rough timeline is to have the tank built by Christmas time, so I'm giving myself a few months to do more research, ask questions, etc before I even have a wet tank.

Hopefully I don't get too annoying with all the questions that will be posted in the coming months and beyond haha

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2-jpg.371687

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to your new addiction. As others said, you're off to a good start by doing your research first. Slow and steady wins this race. We're here to help when ready and needed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 106 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back