Hello from Columbus, Ohio!

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research ask questions and DO NOT in pulse buy if your not sure because you will regret later . As from just doing freshwater you see the addiction well it has just gotten worse lol. YouTube is a good place to watch and learn also because it is visual. Get to know your lfs and staff because some will sell you a great white to put in a 10 gallon tank . Oh BTW welcome to R2R the other addiction lol .

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Ben! As mentioned, patience and knowledge is key to this hobby. There are many reefers here that are willing to help you get through the process, just ask away;)

welcom.jpg

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sounds like you're already hooked and you don't even have a tank yet!:) Just to make sure you know what you're getting into...really consider the costs before diving into this. Its probably one of the most expensive hobbies around. You can easily spend several thousand just setting up a tank without any livestock. Its also a big responsibility. Vacations are always a worry because you'll hate to leave your tank alone while you're gone. And its best if you are planning on staying in your current house/apt for the awhile because moving a tank is not fun and usually results in a lot of dead livestock. But, it is fun and fascinating so I don't want to be discouraging. You'll find tons of great help on these forums when you're ready!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Make sure you go to the CORA Frag Swap in Columbus on September 24

It only happens once a year.

You will meet lots of fellow reefers there and there will be tons of amazing coral.

OP
OP
btdz

btdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sounds like you're already hooked and you don't even have a tank yet!:) Just to make sure you know what you're getting into...really consider the costs before diving into this. Its probably one of the most expensive hobbies around. You can easily spend several thousand just setting up a tank without any livestock. Its also a big responsibility. Vacations are always a worry because you'll hate to leave your tank alone while you're gone. And its best if you are planning on staying in your current house/apt for the awhile because moving a tank is not fun and usually results in a lot of dead livestock. But, it is fun and fascinating so I don't want to be discouraging. You'll find tons of great help on these forums when you're ready!

Yeup that's was kind of the first eye opener I had and really the only thing I had to give a second think. The first few tank tour videos I watched were of giant tanks that must've had 10s of thousands of dollars in everything you don't see in the dt. I have a budget of about $3k to start. Thinking roughly 1500-2000 on the tank, sump, and mechanicals and then another 1-1500 on livestock. I plan on building the cabinet myself and drilling the tank myself and hopefully my local guy will help me out if I'm going to be getting everything through him/his distributor : )

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Make sure you go to the CORA Frag Swap in Columbus on September 24

It only happens once a year.

You will meet lots of fellow reefers there and there will be tons of amazing coral.

I'll be there!

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see some fellow Ohioans here. I'm not sure about up there, but down in Cincy we have quite a few good LFS to shop around at. Good luck!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeup that's was kind of the first eye opener I had and really the only thing I had to give a second think. The first few tank tour videos I watched were of giant tanks that must've had 10s of thousands of dollars in everything you don't see in the dt. I have a budget of about $3k to start. Thinking roughly 1500-2000 on the tank, sump, and mechanicals and then another 1-1500 on livestock. I plan on building the cabinet myself and drilling the tank myself and hopefully my local guy will help me out if I'm going to be getting everything through him/his distributor : )

I'll be there!

Yep, that's a good starting budget. Buy nice used equipment to save money. It can really add up if you only buy new. And don't rush out and buy a bunch of nice, expensive fish and corals right away. Be patient, look for good deals on forums, etc. You'll have a great set up if you are patient!

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! That's so great that you've been spending so much time researching, that is very wise, and you will be so glad you did later. Plus it's fun. :D

Danny N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I Grew up in Reynoldsburg. Moved to Dayton for work 9 years ago. There are a couple of decent shops out this way as well....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back