Hoosier

Hoosier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas greeting.gif

Welcome to R2R. Nice looking tank. Your aquatic knowledge will certainly be welcome on the forum. Be sure to start a build thread with you new tank.
We'll see. I've learned to trust the experts who have actually been doing the things, rather than those of us who who think we know the things, though. If I have something useful to add, I'll try.

Planning to start a build thread, if for no other reason than to force me to have a place to keep track of stuff.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone --

I'm relatively new to reefing -- I've had a biocube29 for almost two years now. I think of it as my thousand-dollar training course in reefing. And I'm ready to go bigger, so I've just ordered an SCA 150. Reading R2R has been very helpful as I made that decision. Like many people here, I had freshwater tanks as a kid. But probably unlike most people here, I went on to get a Ph.D. in aquatic ecology. For the past 25 years I've been using freshwater invertebrates to study the origin and maintenance of biodiversity. This has been a boon and a curse as I started in on reefing. My biocube sits in my lab at school, where I have lots of useful toys and RO/DI on tap. There's even a spigot in the basement with NSW, which I thought would simplify things but turned out to be a trap. I'm learning that my instincts as a freshwater biologist are not always helpful. Or maybe it's just my lifelong irritation with chemistry.

Anyway ... I'm glad to be finally plunging ahead with something I've wanted to to since the 1980s.

--Hoosier

(Including a pic of the Biocube29 just for kicks.)

131928205_10224914140865186_1220574694433787962_o.jpg
Hello and welcome to the channel. Great start on the tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back