Hello- I am new and having difficulty with micro bubbles in my saltwater tank

Starlight500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon tank for 3 weeks now and purchased the optional FLuval Protein skimmer and it produces a lot of micro bubbles through the pump when i turn it on. It makes my tank look bad and the water cloudy. I have 2 clown fish and 2 green chromis and dry rock in the tank and was wondering if all those micro bubbles are bad for the fish and/or the water quality. Currently I turned the protein skimmer off and now the tank is crystal clear. I have read in other posts that a protein skimmer is not necessary.. I am now uncertain what I should do. Any suggestions?

Second question, it is very hot in my apartment and the temperature is around 81-83 degrees. Is their a chiller or something to cool down the water temp in the tank?

Third question , Is there an automatic feeder for a saltwater fish tank as the food needs to be refrigerated and not sure if you can use an automatic feeder. The only reason i am asking is for when i am away for a few days or on vacation how do I keep my fishes fed.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)Micro bubbles are very common while your protein skimmer breaks in. Some can take up to 3 weeks. Give it time. A sponge can also can help absorb some of the micro bubbles where the return pipe is. It will not be a 100% cure but at least 60%. That is why most people run sumps. I have an HOB skimmer that has some bubbles. The benefit of the skimmer out weighs the micro bubble concern 10 fold.
2)They make chillers. I can not tell you which one is best, but at least you have the answer of yes they are there to purchase.
3)For frozen foods I am go to say no there isn't due to thawing. Pellets yes there is a bunch out there.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chillers are quite pricey, use a lot of electricity, and put off a bunch heat. If your tank is getting warm try to increase evaporation by using a small fan to blow across the surface of your water.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry too much about microbubbles.

They are not harmful.

As the water dirties there will be less bubbles visible. If you want you try put some foam or floss before the water enters back to your tank. You will need to check if it's possible with setup and ensure foam is cleaned regularly or floss replaced often to stop reduced flow.

Temp will always be an issue summer months especially in smaller tanks. As recommended go for a fan they can knock it down enough to keep it in a healthy range. Just remember to top up with fresh water or buy small auto top off.

Auto feeders exist but for dry food not fresh/frozen

OP
OP
Starlight500

Starlight500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon tank for 3 weeks now and purchased the optional FLuval Protein skimmer and it produces a lot of micro bubbles through the pump when i turn it on. It makes my tank look bad and the water cloudy. I have 2 clown fish and 2 green chromis and dry rock in the tank and was wondering if all those micro bubbles are bad for the fish and/or the water quality. Currently I turned the protein skimmer off and now the tank is crystal clear. I have read in other posts that a protein skimmer is not necessary.. I am now uncertain what I should do. Any suggestions?

Second question, it is very hot in my apartment and the temperature is around 81-83 degrees. Is their a chiller or something to cool down the water temp in the tank?

Third question , Is there an automatic feeder for a saltwater fish tank as the food needs to be refrigerated and not sure if you can use an automatic feeder. The only reason i am asking is for when i am away for a few days or on vacation how do I keep my fishes fed.
1)Micro bubbles are very common while your protein skimmer breaks in. Some can take up to 3 weeks. Give it time. A sponge can also can help absorb some of the micro bubbles where the return pipe is. It will not be a 100% cure but at least 60%. That is why most people run sumps. I have an HOB skimmer that has some bubbles. The benefit of the skimmer out weighs the micro bubble concern 10 fold.
2)They make chillers. I can not tell you which one is best, but at least you have the answer of yes they are there to purchase.
3)For frozen foods I am go to say no there isn't due to thawing. Pellets yes there is a bunch out there.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Starlight500

Starlight500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chillers are quite pricey, use a lot of electricity, and put off a bunch heat. If your tank is getting warm try to increase evaporation by using a small fan to blow across the surface of your water.
thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
Starlight500

Starlight500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry too much about microbubbles.

They are not harmful.

As the water dirties there will be less bubbles visible. If you want you try put some foam or floss before the water enters back to your tank. You will need to check if it's possible with setup and ensure foam is cleaned regularly or floss replaced often to stop reduced flow.

Temp will always be an issue summer months especially in smaller tanks. As recommended go for a fan they can knock it down enough to keep it in a healthy range. Just remember to top up with fresh water or buy small auto top off.

Auto feeders exist but for dry food not fresh/frozen
Thanks for the info!

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporative cooling can lower the temp by 1-2 degrees but be aware, it will increase evaporation and the amount you need to top off. It is preferred over a chiller because of the simplicity and price. If you do get a chiller, get a JBJ Arctica but for your tank size you could even get away with a thermoelectric cooler.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iceprobe-thermoelectric-aquarium-chiller-nova-tec.html

My Vertex Alpha 200 puts out bubbles like a beast and has never stopped. I ended up putting a mesh bag with drawstrings on the output. No more bubbles and minimal flow reduction.

Bubbles can be bad for clams because they can get trapped, but there is some theory out there that they can actually be a benefit to a tank without clams.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/air-bubbles-to-improve-reef-water-chemistry

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the subject of the micro-bubbles, would it be possible if where the water flow returns to the pump in the back of the fluval evo tank, if he could purchase some small pieces of acrylic and cut them into a small bubble trap and just slide it down and wedge it in there? Like this, where I circled my terrible drawing. That is if the bubbles remain after the break-in period. (Vinegar works great to break in a skimmer in a 5 gallon bucket.)

038bfaa5b7f5c0f6d1a8b336b86e3aab.png

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not familiar with that specific tank first hand, but from the picture it would look like it could prevent the removal of the pump for cleaning. Maybe in 3d space it would be ok, but from the 2d projection pictured above i cant see that pump getting out.

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble trap would be removable, just something to herd them into. Not permanently silicone it or glue it, just wedge it in there, then if you need access just pop it out and pull your pump out.

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. It would require some consideration of available space in the 3rd dimension like you said JamesP, but just something to think about. I couldn't find a decent birds eye view of the pump chamber, there might even be a brace or something in there that would prohibit sliding something in and out.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Starlight500,

Welcome to the forum:)
How is your problem going? Did you find the answers to your questions?

Zhenya

OP
OP
Starlight500

Starlight500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the subject of the micro-bubbles, would it be possible if where the water flow returns to the pump in the back of the fluval evo tank, if he could purchase some small pieces of acrylic and cut them into a small bubble trap and just slide it down and wedge it in there? Like this, where I circled my terrible drawing. That is if the bubbles remain after the break-in period. (Vinegar works great to break in a skimmer in a 5 gallon bucket.)

038bfaa5b7f5c0f6d1a8b336b86e3aab.png
Thanks for the tip.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back