OP
OP
M

mjmccusker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started adding Vitamin C and in about 1.5 weeks all my zoanthids are more open than they have been in the past few months and are looking only to get better... it is really amazing.

weese3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to try with fixing your PH is if you have any lights on your sump growing macro algae run them opposite of your display tank... I have a GE daylight coil PC in a cheap Home Depot cone reflector over my Cheato in my sump, and it holds my PH at 8.05 all night, and it rises to 8.07 during the day, and never swings more than that... My display is a 280G and sump is a 110G...

I also had a problem with my Zoas not opening and it was stray voltage.. I bought at Home Depot, a "Greenlee" quick voltage meter... It looks like a big green magic marker, with a light/beeper on the end and a little tab for putting in a socket to check for power... They are very sensitive and will even pick up static electricity from your clothing if you rub it on your sleeve.. I put a Corallife titanium ground probe in the tank, and touched the meter to the ground plug that is supposed to go in the wall.. It went CRAZY, flashing and beeping.... I started unplugging things until it stopped beeping.. I found a Koralia 4 that was putting full voltage into the water, yet it was still running like normal.... Within a couple weeks everything was back to normal :) upon later testing in a bucket, and not my tank :) I found that the Koralia was putting a full 110volts into my tank..... Remember fish are usually not be affected by stray voltage because they are isolated from it, unless they swim up and put a fin on something grounded and touch a fin to the water at the same time :) LOL

Adam

P.S. Sid the kid saved our butts big time in Vancouver :) Thanks for training him down there for us :) LOL

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when dosing with Vit C how is your algae? i heard you might get an algae bloom while dosing.

OT.
the first game back of the NHL was Pens Vs. Bruins. they were announcing all the players who were in the olympics and each one got a cheer. when Sid was up he got a good ovation and some boos.. ( in pittsburgh!!!) and when Ryan Miller was announced after Sid, the place erupted with cheers 2x louder than for Sid...talk about pride in your country....SId is immortal and Jesus in Pittsburgh (he cant be god, cause Mario is ;) )

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard you might get an algae bloom while dosing. +1 , Cyano, messes with you pH/ALK

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probaly heard this before i havent read the previous messages but heres a really big tip this happened to me so personal experience. Before i started My 40 Gallon i was running My Biocube 14 With pc's And when i got my 40 running i slowy transfered them to my new tank. my new LIGHTS shocked ALL of my zoa's (i was a zoa freak) and i wwould say about 80% of them died. So if u have a new light give them no lights fora couple of days and SLOWLY light acclimate them.

OP
OP
M

mjmccusker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a vitamin C powder that is buffered to 7.1 ph, and my ph and alk have stayed perfectly in line, no algae or cyano at all

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing zoanthids too. The only thing new I have recently begun is GFO and Carbon through a BRS dual reactor system. I dose 2 part also but in about half the amount that is recommended which is .5 ml per gallon daily, in a 175 gallon system thats 6 ounces and I'm doing three just to avoid any wild fluctuations.

I can not stress enough to get an accurate test kit, frankly API's color method ain't gonna cut it. Get something able to measure in smaller increments. You can dump in 2-3 more drops to get from blue to yellow with API and thats the difference between 7 dkh and 10

I've got the flow on the reactor way low but I'm still seeing lots of micro dust both black from carbon and rusty red from the GFO. I think these fine particles may be part of the problem, for me anyways. I'm looking for nudis but I haven't gotten anything new in recently.....very frustrating to go from great to problems with no sure fire reason why.

I've moved some stuff to another tank, I'veeither moved the problem elsewhere or saved some zoos.....time will tell. Arrrrrggggghhhh, who ever said this hobby is nice and relaxing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back