Help choosing my first tank.

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set up my first tank and I just picked up a used Aquatop Recife 40g AIO tank and stand which I got a great deal on; however, the skimmer is missing the little piece that you adjust it with, the light was missing, and the powerhead is missing the mount to have it actually stay in place. Aquatop sells a replacement nano skimmer for $60 (but I assume it's kind of junk, I couldn't find any reviews on it) and a new mount for this powerhead for $10. Also, it seems the little boxes that hold the media in this tank are not well received and people generally recommend replacing it with a custom acrylic piece.

As an alternative, I'm considering selling this tank (worth maybe $200-$300 in current condition, I think?) and grabbing a standard 40 breeder. I think I'd prefer the longer tank over the cube shape (though the aquatop and stand is gorgeous even just sitting here empty and I'm sure a 40B won't look as nice) and since I need to buy a skimmer and light anyways, I think the 40B may give me more flexibility in terms of what will fit and also future upgrades (sump for bigger tank, drilling it, etc). My rookie thought is that I could probably also get away with a cheaper light to start since it won't have to penetrate as deep (eventually I'm sure I'll want more corals and will need to get a proper high end light regardless).

I'm looking or the opinions of experienced reefers here. My question is, would you proceed with buying the replacements and using the Aquatop tank as a first tank or would it be worth selling it and diverting the funds to a basic 40 breeder?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Look at ice cap k1-50 shimmer
And light- Ai prime or hydra 26

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back