Help! Clownfish with swollen lips

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the 4th transfer of TTM/quarantine (11 days) and I noticed that one of the 2 clownfish I have in the QT has swollen lips and isn't eating.
Has anyone seen this before? What is it, can it be treated and how?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450622249.886691.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450622269.846865.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450622285.396177.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thought is: Did he/she get his/her lips caught in the black intake of that powerfilter/powerhead trying to reach some food?

Also, any aggression between the two clownfish? You sure you got a male & female? Two females will lock jaws.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work on the sofa right next to the QT and watched them all week. I never saw any aggression, but I haven't watched them 24x7. I shut the filter off when I feed them, then I scoop out any uneaten food before I turn it back on. I have used a net during the tank transfers, so I suppose that could cause an injury.
Any suggestions on treatment? I have some Erythromycin. The TTM schedule would have them in the DT tomorrow, but I could just do a fifth 3 day stay in QT and just do a transfer tomorrow. Any thoughts?

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any color to the swollen area? It looks to be a lighter shade of orange, but is there any white spots or growths present around or inside the mouth? Of course, when it's all said and done you'll discover that the clown had a little Botox work done, trying to achieve a more full look of the lips.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now all I see is swelling, so you could add some Epsom salt to the water (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help with that. If that doesn't help, then go with the Erythromycin.

FYI; I recommend you observe for at least two weeks post TTM to watch for signs of other diseases (brook, velvet, bacterial infection, etc.) I certainly wouldn't transfer these clowns into the DT until this lip situation has cleared up.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any color to the swollen area? It looks to be a lighter shade of orange, but is there any white spots or growths present around or inside the mouth? Of course, when it's all said and done you'll discover that the clown had a little Botox work done, trying to achieve a more full look of the lips.
The vanity! [emoji6]
As near as I can tell, they are just swollen lips. He/she is very active, but hasn't eaten for 2 days now.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now all I see is swelling, so you could add some Epsom salt to the water (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help with that. If that doesn't help, then go with the Erythromycin.

FYI; I recommend you observe for at least two weeks post TTM to watch for signs of other diseases (brook, velvet, bacterial infection, etc.) I certainly wouldn't transfer these clowns into the DT until this lip situation has cleared up.
The first 2 stays (6 days) was coupled with PraziPro. The last 2 have just been transfers.
I'm going to start a 4 day course of Erythromycin today and do another transfer tomorrow. I definitely want this cleared up and both eating well before moving to the DT. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. That looks like a bad case of kardashi-itus....... Lol.

Joking aside, No Bueno. Hope it pulls through
It is funny looking. At least he's been eating good up until about 2 days ago. As long as the Erythromycin clears it up and he starts eating again in the next 3-4 days I think he'll pull through. Will post updates.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll try that if the Erythromycin fails. I already started it yesterday and want to finish the treatment before switching to something else. It would take me a couple of days to get that anyway. Looks like something that would be good to have on hand regardless. Thanks.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pleased to report the swelling has gone down considerably as of this afternoon and the little guy/girl ate a bit of mysis just now. So far 2 doses of Erythromycin yesterday morning and this morning and seeing positive results in the afternoon of day 2. I'm encouraged.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pleased to report the swelling has gone down considerably as of this afternoon and the little guy/girl ate a bit of mysis just now. So far 2 doses of Erythromycin yesterday morning and this morning and seeing positive results in the afternoon of day 2. I'm encouraged.

Sounds good! :)

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an MD. If this were a person I would say it was an allergic reaction to the medication. Not sure if fish have allergies.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was intrigued by this and asked my best friend the vet about allergies in fish. Here is his response

Course and also and over dose alot are toxic drugs
Metronidizole
Copper sulfate
Methylene blue

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with this is it didn't happen until a day after transfer #3 which was to just plain tank water. If it was a reaction to the PraziPro wouldn't this have shown up during the two transfers when the PraziPro was added to the QT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with this is it didn't happen until a day after transfer #3 which was to just plain tank water. If it was a reaction to the PraziPro wouldn't this have shown up during the two transfers when the PraziPro was added to the QT?

FWIW; Praziquantel only remains active in the water for 72 hrs max (confirmed by Hikari); however it's effectiveness (and presumably, toxicity) is reduced after just 24 hrs (which is all it takes to eradicate flukes anyway.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back