Help diagnosing flame angel

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help diagnosing my new flame Angel please.
76B71869-CC08-4DA0-8EBB-E485F8E95D46.png
31D88813-2307-4676-9212-7B6610651BF8.png
3541ED67-2334-4775-85A5-4DFE9E6A4FDD.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looking for help diagnosing my new flame Angel please.
76B71869-CC08-4DA0-8EBB-E485F8E95D46.png
31D88813-2307-4676-9212-7B6610651BF8.png
3541ED67-2334-4775-85A5-4DFE9E6A4FDD.png
Your little guy has the ich parasite.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off or 4-5 weeks at 81 degrees
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your little guy has the ich parasite.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off or 4-5 weeks at 81 degrees
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Thank you for your quick reply! This fish is in my display tank already with other tank mates. Would I be able to treat the entire display tank instead of setting up a quarantine tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for your quick reply! This fish is in my display tank already with other tank mates. Would I be able to treat the entire display tank instead of setting up a quarantine tank?
With ich no- only velvet
Do you have coral and inverts in the tank-?
If so quarantine. If not - hyposalinity

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its best to take ALL of the fish out - treat ALL of them - and while you're doing that - leave your tank with 0 fish. for about 76 days - now there are protocols for 45 days, etc - at a higher temp.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its best to take ALL of the fish out - treat ALL of them - and while you're doing that - leave your tank with 0 fish. for about 76 days - now there are protocols for 45 days, etc - at a higher temp.
Appreciate everyone’s replies and advice so far! I don’t have the funds to setup an entire quarantine tank for ALL of my fish. I have a valentini puffer, snowflake eel, two clownfish, lemon peel Angel, tomini tang, flame hawk and the flame Angel.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do not have any coral or inverts. My salinity is at 1.020. Should I drop it further?
You can to 1.009 and can be brought down hourly. Run for 30 to 45 days with air stone added
Ideally the qt method with most effective but you can use the hyposalinity method. Will take longer to act

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate everyone’s replies and advice so far! I don’t have the funds to setup an entire quarantine tank for ALL of my fish. I have a valentini puffer, snowflake eel, two clownfish, lemon peel Angel, tomini tang, flame hawk and the flame Angel.
agree - you can do hypo salinity

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree - you can do hypo salinity
I will do a water change now to drop salinity. I have two wave makers in the aquarium should I still add an air stone? I also have Seachem paraguard on hand should I does that along with hypo salinity? What temp should I raise the aquarium too? Thanks again everyone as I am still fairly new to the hobby.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do a water change now to drop salinity. I have two wave makers in the aquarium should I still add an air stone? I also have Seachem paraguard on hand should I does that along with hypo salinity? What temp should I raise the aquarium too? Thanks again everyone as I am still fairly new to the hobby.

Do not use seachem paraguard, it isn't good for saltwater ich despite what they may tell you.

Hypo should treat it.

Calibrate your refractometer, you do not want to under or overshoot it.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use seachem paraguard, it isn't good for saltwater ich despite what they may tell you.

Hypo should treat it.

Calibrate your refractometer, you do not want to under or overshoot it.
Ok so just straight hypo salinity then? I have made sure to calibrate that as I noticed awhile ago I had false readings.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is that?
Plenty of Google info about it but basically you create a stress free environment to keep the ich dormant. Feeding fish the best frozen food with vitamins and garlic, UV sterilizer etc... some believe that every tank already has ich in it and that by keeping your fish healthy and happy you can keep the infection dormant without further spread.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of Google info about it but basically you create a stress free environment to keep the ich dormant. Feeding fish the best frozen food with vitamins and garlic, UV sterilizer etc... some believe that every tank already has ich in it and that by keeping your fish healthy and happy you can keep the infection dormant without further spread.
Awesome. Should I add my carbon back to the filter if all I’m doing is hypo salinity? I’m also feeding with new life spectrum TheraA pellets and soaking all frozen food with garlic guard.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Should I add my carbon back to the filter if all I’m doing is hypo salinity? I’m also feeding with new life spectrum TheraA pellets and soaking all frozen food with garlic guard.
Well carbon won't stop ich but I use it for water clarity. There are fish vitamins you can broadcast feed once a week to the tank. Soaking food in selcon helps too. Basically just getting a good diverse pallet for them to keep them strong so their immune system works hard.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i would up your feeding. 3 times a day during this time. Garlic is good and plenty of variety. Keep your skimmer pumping and up fuge/ats lighting schedule to uptake nutrients. Fat well fed fish fight disease alot better. Nori sheets mixxed in to will help for thos guy

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In hypo, no need to raise temp however you can go up to 80. Paraguard does not work as its too mild and contains watered down formaldehyde which is very weak.
While diet contributes to immunity health, it does not cure disease. If that were the case, there would be food called anti-ich formula or such. It can however promote resistance with fish that are NOT infected.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the quick replies and help! I’m going to do a water change tonight and tomorrow to get the salinity down to 1.009. I added an air stone as well. I’m going to add carbon back to the filter for water clarity. I will continue feeding a variety of food with garlic, nori sheets and look into buying additional vitamins.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back