Help feeding yellow tail spotted wrasse

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I've been having this yellow tail spotted wrasse in quarantine for two days now. He doesn't seem to be eating anything.

I've tried powdered pellets, flakes, dried black worms, frozen brine shrimp...

Any suggestions pls??

20231206_094234.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I've been having this yellow tail spotted wrasse in quarantine for two days now. He doesn't seem to be eating anything.

I've tried powdered pellets, flakes, dried black worms, frozen brine shrimp...

Any suggestions pls??

20231206_094234.jpg
Does she have sand in the Quarantine?

Also can you get a photo of her mouth?

IMO, do observation first with these if you’re not already dosing copper or such. This will help her to get established into feeding frozen as time goes by - you’ll be able to have her feed on amphipods and copepods and then eventually wean onto frozen and prepared foods.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell how big that one is however tamarin wrasse need sand and pods especially if smaller. They are a lot tougher as babies but also prefer pecking pods from rocks to frozen food. As they get bigger they will eat more frozen.

However not eating could be a sign of a mouth injury

OP
OP
snk_anindya

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept sand in a box. It's around 2 inches deep and large enough for the fish. He sleeps inside the sand .

I also notice him pecking at the sand or other areas in the tank.. I am not sure if there is enough pod population though. Let me see if i can add pods or live brine shrimp for it.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others said she won’t eat prepared food if small. Also they can take awhile to start eating prepared foods. Make sure she has pods and live foods to eat. A cheap brine shrimp hatchery can help. Also keeping her with fish that eat prepared will help her learn when she is ready.
Roe, small mysis, and small foods and no flake or pellets. Also they like to eat at night when lights are of when they settle. I even have some that will eat nori at night.
They sleep in sand and having no sand makes her more uncomfortable. She needs to learn captivity life and your light schedule. They are sensitive and you want to give them as close to natural setting as possible.

She sounds to be doing ok in your tank so it’s time for her to learn to eat prepared. Her belly looks full and not shrunk. Keep live foods for her and once I display she can pick pods until she learns to eat. I have a little girl for 8-9 months and she won’t eat prepared foods yet as she is still to young.

OP
OP
snk_anindya

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others said she won’t eat prepared food if small. Also they can take awhile to start eating prepared foods. Make sure she has pods and live foods to eat. A cheap brine shrimp hatchery can help. Also keeping her with fish that eat prepared will help her learn when she is ready.
Roe, small mysis, and small foods and no flake or pellets. Also they like to eat at night when lights are of when they settle. I even have some that will eat nori at night.
They sleep in sand and having no sand makes her more uncomfortable. She needs to learn captivity life and your light schedule. They are sensitive and you want to give them as close to natural setting as possible.

She sounds to be doing ok in your tank so it’s time for her to learn to eat prepared. Her belly looks full and not shrunk. Keep live foods for her and once I display she can pick pods until she learns to eat. I have a little girl for 8-9 months and she won’t eat prepared foods yet as she is still to young.
Thanks so much for your reply. Makes me feel hopeful!!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply. Makes me feel hopeful!!
Also a sick fish won’t eat. Just keep live foods for her. If you got her at lfs you could ask if she ate and what she ate.
if you treat with copper I find copper won’t kill pods and also others the same so I wouldn’t worry about that. Good luck

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back