HELP! Flow or more filtration?

Reefing102begal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
Hey I’ve got a 55 gallon mixed reef running a fx4 sadly but I am looking to add more flow to my tank and in wonder if I should just use a Aquaclear 70 on the opposite side of my tank instead of a power head. I feel a power head may cause too much flow for my Euphyllia and other LPS which are sitting in the middle section of the tank. Here’s a picture taken just now for reference, the extra filter or pump will be on the right side. Also I could turn the HOB into Refugium
image.jpg

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of Euphyllias will handle tons of flow. I personally don't like using HOB filters. I would use a powerhead, preferability who that is controllable for flow. You can always turn it down or point it towards the front glass and allow the flow to "bounce" off the glass if needed. Play with it and keep an eye of the corals, they will tell you if they like the flow or its too much.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't consider water trickling onto the water surface as flow. To me, flow is pushing water through the rocks across the tank, can only be accomplished by a powerhead IMO.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the photo you posted, I would say that your tank actually has low flow so another powerhead wouldn't hurt. I believe that is a powerhead on the left wall of the tank? Is that is only flow other than the HOB filter?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tidal 110, Jebao SOW-3 and a Jebao SOW-4 on opposite ends of my 40 Breeder. I run the Jebao's in shift to flow mode at 100%. Seems to be just right for flow. When both are on at the same time after I turn them back on after feeding the middle of the tank where my euphylia's are it pretty rough, and that only lasts 30 seconds.

I'd put at least one more powerhead on the right side and play around with the flow. It took me about an hour or so to finally decide how to have mine set up. I'd go with something in the 2000gph range and you can adjust down. You also might want one that doesn't have a wide flow so it can push water across the entire tank. maybe set it up towards the front so it does not blast corals directly.

1674136575139.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back