Help identifying what’s on my live rock

southd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting up my first reef tank, an IM fusion 20 AIO. After browsing through a ton of these threads I landed on ordering live rock to make live easier, hopefully. I just received my order from gulf live rock and I’m pretty happy with what I got. I’ll definitely have a lot of options for the aquascape.

Before I get out my glue and epoxy I was hoping to get some help identifying anything cool that came along with the rocks, and if there is anything I should remove.

So far, I found a brittle star and some bristle worms. That’s the extent of my identification ability at the point in the journey.

Since I have coral on a couple of these rocks, should I turn my light on? From what I’ve read it looks like you want to let the tank do its thing before turning the lights on.

IMG_2428.jpeg IMG_2425.jpeg IMG_2422.jpeg IMG_2421.jpeg IMG_2420.jpeg IMG_2419.jpeg IMG_2418.jpeg IMG_2417.jpeg IMG_2415.jpeg IMG_2412.jpeg IMG_2410.jpeg

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom left picture is a Tube Coral that is probably still alive, mine looked like that and now has bright green polyps. Second one up from right is a Rose coral Skeleton. Sponges, Gorgonian on third pic might recover. I ordered a 10 lb box from them, I had to yank my macro algae covered rock as it popped out about 7 anemones and the macro algae just attracted GHA like it owed it money. make sure that snail shell on bottom right doesn't have a Whelk in it. I "cured" mine in a tank with a light for a bit had lot of worm die off but my 2 corals survived. just be careful of the almost assured hidden mantis shrimp that shows up 2 months later....

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some sponges, some Halimeda algae, another green macroalgae (this is the only one that I'd keep an eye on for issues with spreading), spirorbid worms, feather duster worms, a couple of red macroalgae species, some sort of large critter (possibly an isopod, but I can't tell for sure from the pic - it's in the last pic just to the right of your thumb; I's try to get a better look at it to be safe), and a snail that I'd suggest getting a closer look at.

That's all I've got for now - beautiful live rock there, and I'd turn the lights on to help the corals and macroalgae out.

OP
OP
southd14

southd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0838.jpeg

Here is what my tube coral looks like now after recovering. Not the most exciting coral but it’s seemingly happy.
At this point I find all coral pretty interesting. One less coral for me to buy too! Thank you for the help!

OP
OP
southd14

southd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some sponges, some Halimeda algae, another green macroalgae (this is the only one that I'd keep an eye on for issues with spreading), spirorbid worms, feather duster worms, a couple of red macroalgae species, some sort of large critter (possibly an isopod, but I can't tell for sure from the pic - it's in the last pic just to the right of your thumb; I's try to get a better look at it to be safe), and a snail that I'd suggest getting a closer look at.

That's all I've got for now - beautiful live rock there, and I'd turn the lights on to help the corals and macroalgae out.
Thank you, I’ll see if I can manage to get a better picture of the critter and snail. At least it seems like I don’t have a whole lot of “bad” hot hikers so far. Guess time will tell what’s inside the rock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back