What’s growing behind my rock?

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See video. I spotted this some time ago and it’s grown quite a bit over a few months in my nem tank. Came on the live rock. Any ideas?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good call with the flashlight, tough to get any light back there

Looks like a type of scallop. Maybe a flame scallop? Do you see any flashing coming from inside of it?

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall seeing this at about the size of a quarter, maybe 8 months ago when first setting up this tank. Thought it was a sponge of some kind early on and just left it alone as it didn’t seem to bother things and really tough to see from an angle. Now it’s about 2-3 inches across, wondering if it could be problematic at some point?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall seeing this at about the size of a quarter, maybe 8 months ago when first setting up this tank. Thought it was a sponge of some kind early on and just left it alone as it didn’t seem to bother things and really tough to see from an angle. Now it’s about 2-3 inches across, wondering if it could be problematic at some point?
If it's a flame scallop, it's completely harmless.

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be able to see the shell of the scallop if it’s a flame scallop. The tentacles look similar but I don’t see a shell. Maybe it’s a tube anemone? I’ve attached a picture of
Mine for reference

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 41

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be able to see the shell of the scallop if it’s a flame scallop. The tentacles look similar but I don’t see a shell. Maybe it’s a tube anemone? I’ve attached a picture of
Mine for reference
Flame scallops also react to light. You should see it retract when hit with flashlight

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
See video. I spotted this some time ago and it’s grown quite a bit over a few months in my nem tank. Came on the live rock. Any ideas?

Video is too short an dark to tell. Can be a tube anemone or similar but cant confirm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah bad first video. Take a look at the latest!

Its a reef safe flame scallop and a bonus score. They are filter feeder and will accept plankton like foods. Often not long lived but in good conditions can go a year or two

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a reef safe flame scallop and a bonus score. They are filter feeder and will accept plankton like foods. Often not long lived but in good conditions can go a year or two
Very cool! Shame it’s tucked in the very back of my largest rock, and I can’t reposition because of all the BTA in the front. Any way to coax it out or reposition?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back