help me choose a stock list

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely restarting my stock list after deciding to change the theme of my tank. my previous stock included
- a pair of true perculas
- yellow coriss wrasse
- LMB
- (1) blue chromis (4yrs old!)
- red serpent
- a pair of peppermints
- randall's pistol
- a porcelain crab

those were the major inhabitans in my 24 AP. I'm slowly starting to make a transition from a zoa dominated tank to more mixed tank with mostly high end montis, ricordeas and zoas. even though i loved all my inhabitans very much, basically i was stuck with them for years after buying them during my newbie years...this time i want to get it exactly right. so. this is what i'm thinking so far.

- a pair of black percula & rod's onyx
- a pair of harlequins
- a pair of skunks
- a pair of peppermints for small aiptasia control
- a yellow clown goby
- (3) candy stripe cardinals OR (2) PJ cardinals

i'd love to add a pistol/goby pair...but my AP is open roofed, so i don't want to risk any carpet surfing. the list still seems to be lacking something though...lol Please suggest any fish/inverts you might think might be nice for a 24 AP. here's the tank recently re-set up as a blank canvas
newsetup1.jpg

an old pic of what the tank used to look like.
PICT0012.jpg

most of the livestock has been sold and given away to start over...:) few of the changes i'm going to be making to the AP in next few weeks are... switching the MJ 900 to a MJ 1200 and adding a skimmer...currently thinking about a local selling his aqua c remora w/ mj1200. took out most of the LS since it was just trapping detrius, building up my nitrate...so I'm planning on siphoning out the few particles left as you can see in the pic, and hoping zoas will cover the glass bottom as time passes by. also, making one of the backchambers into a more efficient "refugium" filled with rubble LR, chaeto, and maybe few xenia strands. won't be too effective since space is so small, but can't hurt. any recommendations for a cheap fuge lightings would be apprecieated also

Last edited:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think a pair of harlequins is appropriate without a bigger tank, and/or very good skimming abilities.

harlequins make a mess of the starfish they eat, which will obviously have to be some big choco stars. the decaying stars will quickly funk up a small tank pretty fast.

something else to think about, with a pair of harlequins...thats at least 2 choco stars a month you are gonna have to buy. thats $50-$60 a month. thats like a cell phone bill...lol

also, those yellow clown gobys are cool...but be careful of them with sps. they've been known to munch on them pretty good. not sure about monti's, but large acros yes...

maybe try for a green one instead.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya I had two of the coolest little yellow clown goby's.......until I siphoned them out of the tank for killing my sps!!!

Dont worry they went into another tank. :)

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I posted the stock list beforehand...never knew that about the yellow clown gobies. Maybe I will settle for a neon goby, or some other small goby instead. I hear you on the harlequins and their messy eating habits, been through that in a 10g, and learned pretty quickly. I'm thinking of working out a deal with the LFS to see if I could purchase just the legs every week or two. The choc. stars only run about 10 bucks around here, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

what do you guys think about the cardinals? dont see too many ppl with that particular species except this one guy on RC who has a breeding community in his huge tank.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do a sleeper, they need sand. They sift it through thier mouths constantly looking for food.......ive heard some sps keepers take their clown gobies out due to nipping at colonies....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back