Help me stock my 240g - Wrasse's

Reef Addict 10-4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon Folks,

First time poster... Hoping this post will generate some buzz :) I could use some help stocking my 240 DT - and I'm specifically eyeing Wrasse's at the moment.... but I'm open to other reef and invertebrate safe suggestions!

I currently have:
- Naso Tang
- Purple Tang
- Desjardin Tang
- Gold Brimmed P. Brown Tang
- CB Angel
- Clownfish (2)
- Cleaner Shrimp (2)
- Fire Shrimp (2)
- Tiger (pistol) shrimp
- Pink bar Goby
- Tuxedo Sea Urchin (2)
- Nassarius Snails

Possible/Planned Future Purchases:
- Powder Blue Tang
- Lieutenant OR Orange Shoulder Tang
- Lemon Tang
- Flame Angel
- Potters Angel (If they are ever available again)
- Zebra Barred Dartfish (3)
- Mandarin OR Scooter Blenny's
- Dove Snails, Emerald Crabs, Etc...

Wrasse's: Research tells me Fairy and Flasher Wrasses are my best bet when it comes to playing safe with inverts and corals. I'm essentially just looking into wrasse's for the first time as my previous tanks were always at max capacity with just tangs and angels, luckily there's a lot to choose from! How many Wrasse's would I be safe to house in a 240g tank of the same species?

I certainly won't be getting this many, but here's a quick list I was able to come up with....
- Blue Throat Fairy
- Bluehead
- Orangeback
- Exquisite
- Scotts
- Red Velvet
- Ruby Longfin
- Carpenter Flasher
- McCasker
- Filamented
- Royal

Yes, I know I've got a problem. lol

Thank you all,

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon Folks,

First time poster... Hoping this post will generate some buzz :) I could use some help stocking my 240 DT - and I'm specifically eyeing Wrasse's at the moment.... but I'm open to other reef and invertebrate safe suggestions!

I currently have:
- Naso Tang
- Purple Tang
- Desjardin Tang
- Gold Brimmed P. Brown Tang
- CB Angel
- Clownfish (2)
- Cleaner Shrimp (2)
- Fire Shrimp (2)
- Tiger (pistol) shrimp
- Pink bar Goby
- Tuxedo Sea Urchin (2)
- Nassarius Snails

Possible/Planned Future Purchases:
- Powder Blue Tang
- Lieutenant OR Orange Shoulder Tang
- Lemon Tang
- Flame Angel
- Potters Angel (If they are ever available again)
- Zebra Barred Dartfish (3)
- Mandarin OR Scooter Blenny's
- Dove Snails, Emerald Crabs, Etc...

Wrasse's: Research tells me Fairy and Flasher Wrasses are my best bet when it comes to playing safe with inverts and corals. I'm essentially just looking into wrasse's for the first time as my previous tanks were always at max capacity with just tangs and angels, luckily there's a lot to choose from! How many Wrasse's would I be safe to house in a 240g tank of the same species?

I certainly won't be getting this many, but here's a quick list I was able to come up with....
- Blue Throat Fairy
- Bluehead
- Orangeback
- Exquisite
- Scotts
- Red Velvet
- Ruby Longfin
- Carpenter Flasher
- McCasker
- Filamented
- Royal

Yes, I know I've got a problem. lol

Thank you all,
If I’m honest, you’re already restricted on what wrasses you can get - many of the more sensitive flashers and fairies will likely wither away in your tank due to the tangs being so active. What are the dimensions of the tank?

And that “Gold Brimmed P. Brown Tang” is 2 different species - which is it? A Gold Rim (A. nigricans) or a Powder Brown (A. japonicus)?

OP
OP
R

Reef Addict 10-4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, you’re already restricted on what wrasses you can get - many of the more sensitive flashers and fairies will likely wither away in your tank due to the tangs being so active. What are the dimensions of the tank?

And that “Gold Brimmed P. Brown Tang” is 2 different species - which is it? A Gold Rim (A. nigricans) or a Powder Brown (A. japonicus)?
Wow, thats surprising to hear.... but I'm glad I asked if that's really the case. If it helps at all the *Gold Brimmed* is the largest fish in the tank at 4-5" long.

The tank is 72x24x32... wish it was an 8' tank but I really cant complain since I got it for free, required a rebuild though.

Are there any wrasses you would consider hardy enough for my tank?

Thank you!

OP
OP
R

Reef Addict 10-4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly consider a dusky wrasse. They’re gorgeous.
They are gorgeous!!! Do you have one, if so how are they with your inverts?

I have cleaner & fire shrimp, nassarius snails, and I'm eyeing some dove snails. I really don't want any wrasse thats going to demolish the CUC or shimp.....

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are gorgeous!!! Do you have one, if so how are they with your inverts?

I have cleaner & fire shrimp, nassarius snails, and I'm eyeing some dove snails. I really don't want any wrasse thats going to demolish the CUC or shimp.....
I “have” one in my DT. I put it in quotations because I haven’t seen her in a few days. But she’s done that before and I still see signs of someone deep diving into sand but she’s been elusive lately. I have peppermint shrimp and tons of different types of snails. The only inverts I think I may have lost were some nudibranches.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sounds like the same set up I have fish wise. I looked into more aggressive/predatory wrasse. I also do not have a CUC like you do as I have other predators, so I decided I most likely will go with a red coris wrasse. The ones you looked into are shy like @i cant think said. Also is that tang a powder brown or a gold rim? Big difference temper wise

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thats surprising to hear.... but I'm glad I asked if that's really the case. If it helps at all the *Gold Brimmed* is the largest fish in the tank at 4-5" long.

The tank is 72x24x32... wish it was an 8' tank but I really cant complain since I got it for free, required a rebuild though.

Are there any wrasses you would consider hardy enough for my tank?

Thank you!
Going by that, I assume the tang is the Acanthurus nigricans - which generally these seem to be more peaceful.

The Fairy Wrasses I recommend looking into are going to be in these complexes;
Rubriventralis
Teminickii
Filamentosus
Linneatus - avoid the Rhomboidalis
Jordani

OP
OP
R

Reef Addict 10-4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sounds like the same set up I have fish wise. I looked into more aggressive/predatory wrasse. I also do not have a CUC like you do as I have other predators, so I decided I most likely will go with a red coris wrasse. The ones you looked into are shy like @i cant think said. Also is that tang a powder brown or a gold rim? Big difference temper wise
It is a Gold Rim! I think I just made the assumption it was a Gold Rim PB... thanks to those of you who pointed out
there is a difference

I'm a bit hesitant to go for another aggressive species of wrasse... the only time I took a chance on one he ended up harassing my clownfish to death. I was on vacation, and the guy watching them apparently wasn't very competent. Wife was NOT happy...

OP
OP
R

Reef Addict 10-4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by that, I assume the tang is the Acanthurus nigricans - which generally these seem to be more peaceful.

The Fairy Wrasses I recommend looking into are going to be in these complexes;
Rubriventralis
Teminickii
Filamentosus
Linneatus - avoid the Rhomboidalis
Jordani
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll be sure to look into them

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back