OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.reefaquarium.com/2014/flukes-marine-fish/

According to this article, flukes can resemble velvet at times.

I wonder if I'm just dealing with a resistant strain of flukes...

1 Cloudy eyes - YES
2 Rapid breathing
3 Fraid fins - YES
4 Excessive slim coat production - YES
5 Loss of appetite or even completely stopping to eat
6 twitching/shaking the head from side to side almost like it was trying to shake something off its head
7 discolored blotches on the fish which can even look a lot like velvet some times - YES
8 Flashing against objects in the aquarium with periods of almost no activity - YES to flashing against objects
9 White to almost translucent spots on the fish that look almost like the ick virus, but are larger and not as close together. - YES

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. Can you catch or trap the fish in question?

Formalin should eliminate a prazi resistant strain.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all the tangs in a separate tank that I can isolate from the main system and treat. There are still 6 small fish that I cannot catch without destroying my reef. I did a formalin bath on the chocolate tang when I was thinking it was velvet as he was the worse off but unfortunately he didn't make it. I'm pretty sure the cure was worse than the disease and I feel 1o0% responsible. It is a horrible feeling.

I'm going to do a three round prazi treatment at 5 days apart and see if that does the trick. Next treatment is tomorrow.

Unfortunately I forgot to leave my skimmer running with the cup removed on this latest dose. Oxygen was depleted and ph dropped below 7.8. Some of my acros are STNing. Learn something new every day in this hobby. It's amazing the tunnel vision you get when you think you're dealing with velvet. I just lost track.

I never bothered monitoring ph very closely. I will from now on. Hopefully others can learn from this.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 70 28.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back