Help! Mystery illness - Prazipro is semi-effective

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

I’ve been searching the internet for days trying to find the answer to a mystery illness in my tank.

My tangs have been afflicted with cloudy eyes initially, then deteriorated fins, excess mucus on the skin/lips as well as some minor scratching. I also noticed one of the Naso tang’s eyes appearing to be swollen or popped out slightly. At one point there appeared to be flakes hanging off of the eyes. I’ve seen symptoms in varying degrees in most of my tangs. But the Naso and chocolate tang seem to have the worst symptoms.

I thought the symptoms pointed to flukes so I dosed prazi. I did two doses, 5-7 days apart as recommended and it seemed to work! But around 6 days after the first treatment, the symptoms returned.

I did another two dose treatment. But once again on Sunday the symptoms returned. So I dossed prazi again for the fifth time. I’m currently three days in on the latest dose and the symptoms are mostly gone again. I say mostly because the Naso tang’s eyes have never 100% cleared up. A slight cloudiness in at least one eye has yet to fully disappear.

At this point I have all my tangs in a seperate tank that is connected to the main system.

There are three royal grammas and two lawnmower blennies in the display tank that are impossible to catch without destroying my Acropora reef.

The only recent additions to my tank without QT were a handful of coral frags a couple months ago and I run an overkill UV sterilizer.

Yesterday I began panicking thinking it’s velvet, and that the prazi is somehow suppressing it. But this seems unlikely as I cant find any instances of this ever happening anywhere on google.

The fact that the prazi removes symptoms tells me I’m on the right track, right? Should I do a three dose treatment 5 days apart?

Or is it possible that it’s bacterial? Have you ever heard of prazi suppressing bacterial symptoms?

I have yet to find an actual oval shaped opaque fluke with the naked eye. Even after a freshwater dip.

The prazi has done a number on my corals. I’m dealing with secondary issues like spiked phosphate and lowered ph. I can isolate the tank that the tangs are in to treat separately, but I can’t catch the other small fish in the display. So I’m assuming it’d be pointless to treat the tangs separately without running the display totally fallow. The only benefit is that I could experiment with treatments without harming my corals. But I assume I would eventually need to treat the rest of the system or catch and QT the smaller fish.

I’m hoping you can give me some guidance on the best course of action. Thank you in advance.

9765941C-A89E-4F7E-84DF-DD558CB6EE70.png

B17F3143-DBE8-478A-AD1D-DCD7CB35699A.png

396FD2A0-CD93-496D-B221-380F3AE36221.png

F2088825-0116-495A-831D-F6B720C2BA6D.png

8ABD860E-A2AB-46B4-820A-8BAF312809D8.png

E2D4F04C-0E18-4571-8DEC-293699D8EC75.png

E384924E-45DA-4CB4-8E33-C63EFCD40B1C.png

06D9F590-7A58-4F11-A3ED-BC6C0DEB9021.png

68A6BA11-EBB0-492E-AB2F-CD75C7643257.png

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you. There are a few pics that definitely look like velvet.

If it is flukes you must be dealing with a prazi resistant strain. You may have to move to hypo or better yet formalin baths to cure this.

Do all of the symptoms completely reside after prazi dose?

My fear is the new corals brought in flukes and/or velvet with them.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen prazi resistant flukes several times recently. Fw dip to confirm.

Pics look like something else is involved as well, maybe velvet.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots you see are actually micro bubbles. The skin shows excess mucus that looks like what I would think velvet looks like before the ich-like white spots start showing up. It really shows under all blue light. But I don't see the gold or rust hue that I've heard about.

The chocolate tang began showing a couple white spots, like 5 individual spots max before the first treatment. Haven't seen any more white spots since.

It just doesn't make sense to me that velvet can be managed with Prazi. I would think I would've heard of this somewhere online by now.

The symptoms go away during prazi treatment. They come back after I do a water change and run carbon.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chocolate tang had a lot of mucus/fuzzy skin, but none of the grains of sand white spots. I just don't see how prazi could be effective at suppressing velvet. I feel like it would be common knowledge if you could do this. Imagine how much time you could buy your fish by dosing prazi.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chocolate tang had a lot of mucus/fuzzy skin, but none of the grains of sand white spots. I just don't see how prazi could be effective at suppressing velvet. I feel like it would be common knowledge if you could do this. Imagine how much time you could buy your fish by dosing prazi.
Hmmmm. I don't know that prazi would supress velvet. Copper does supress many things that it won't erradicate.

I wonder if it could possibly be Brook?

Do you have a QT up and running?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it just be the life cycle of velvet coinciding with your prazi treatment.Where they fall off only to reinfect fish in larger numbers.Mucus/fuzzy.That almost sounds like brooklynella hostilis

OP
OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all the tangs in a big frag tank that I can isolate. But unfortunately there are 5 small fish in the display tank that cannot be caught without destroying my reef. I have a trap but I'll never be able to catch them all.

Even though my corals are looking awful, I think I'm going to do three intervals of prazi at 5 days apart. If this doesn't do it, I'll let the symptoms progress until I can get a positive ID. This will tell me if I need to tear my reef apart or not. I don't even know if this affliction is deadly or not at this point. I've had other illness pass on their own without intervention.

I highly doubt the life cycle is matching my prazi dosing so perfectly. Velvet moves faster than that, all my fish would be dead by now.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all the tangs in a big frag tank that I can isolate. But unfortunately there are 5 small fish in the display tank that cannot be caught without destroying my reef. I have a trap but I'll never be able to catch them all.

Even though my corals are looking awful, I think I'm going to do three intervals of prazi at 5 days apart. If this doesn't do it, I'll let the symptoms progress until I can get a positive ID. This will tell me if I need to tear my reef apart or not. I don't even know if this affliction is deadly or not at this point. I've had other illness pass on their own without intervention.

I highly doubt the life cycle is matching my prazi dosing so perfectly. Velvet moves faster than that, all my fish would be dead by now.

Healthy fish can live suprisingly long with velvet present. Newly collected or received fish not so much.

I really think you should try to treat them with Metroplex for 10 days. You won't want to do that in a frag tank though if you currently have frags in it.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've removed all corals. I'm ready to go with converting into a hospital tank. I just really think I should figure out what I'm dealing with first. The biggest mystery to me is why prazi is suppressing it. I've never heard of this happening before.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to me the the 4th pic up from bottom looks like ick or velvet and most likely will need a copper treatment.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those white dots are micro bubbles. Only thing wrong with him at the time of this picture was his eyes and under blue light there was a hazy smooth film on his body, like excess mucus.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am wondering about brook based on your description...

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus sounds like brook.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option is to hit with metro as described for the brook idea. You express some concern about (co-occurring?) bacterial infections, so addition of Furan-2 and kana may be worth it also.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description of hazy smooth skin sounds like velvet. Prazi wont suppress it but as mentioned it could be a coincidental timing.

Mucus makes us think brook, but upon rereading I think velvet is more fitting. Is it a heavy mucus, like peeling skin? That's more descriptive of brook.

I vote velvet and/or bactetial

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if there is no sign of ich or velvet it's could be a secondary fungal or bacterial infection.I use SeaChem KanaPlex for this.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back