Help Needed

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will admit that I played with fire and got burned horribly. Along with my Reef Tanks I keep a 200 gallon FOWLR tank. I have never been overly concerned with quarantining fish for that tank as I would always just run copper if I saw anything and never had an issue. That is until the lovely ladies in my life wanted a bamboo cat shark. Knowing that I can no longer use copper I bought CP in case there was an issue to use in the display. Well an issue popped up and had an ich (so I thought) explosion in my tank. I bought a 75 gallon tank to quarantine the shark and treated my display with copper. Things got worse, turns out it appears I got flukes for sure, and I believe velvet. By the time I recognized it I lost almost all of my fish that I have had (some of them) for years.

I will never never never make the same mistake again.

Now comes my question.

I have three fish that seem unaffected. A 7 inch green bird wrasse, a harlequin tusk, and a niger trigger. Should I take them out, run the tank fallow for 76 days, or can I treat the tank at therapeutic levels for 76 days to ensure everything is killed off? I am not understanding why I would need to take them out and treat them and run the tank fallow, but I am sure I am missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Space in my house is limited, but I should be able to house these fish in the 75 gallon with the shark, Although not ideal. These are all big fish and I cant set up multiple 40 breeders inside my house, and In Florida garage is out of the question.

rastareefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will admit that I played with fire and got burned horribly. Along with my Reef Tanks I keep a 200 gallon FOWLR tank. I have never been overly concerned with quarantining fish for that tank as I would always just run copper if I saw anything and never had an issue. That is until the lovely ladies in my life wanted a bamboo cat shark. Knowing that I can no longer use copper I bought CP in case there was an issue to use in the display. Well an issue popped up and had an ich (so I thought) explosion in my tank. I bought a 75 gallon tank to quarantine the shark and treated my display with copper. Things got worse, turns out it appears I got flukes for sure, and I believe velvet. By the time I recognized it I lost almost all of my fish that I have had (some of them) for years.

I will never never never make the same mistake again.

Now comes my question.

I have three fish that seem unaffected. A 7 inch green bird wrasse, a harlequin tusk, and a niger trigger. Should I take them out, run the tank fallow for 76 days, or can I treat the tank at therapeutic levels for 76 days to ensure everything is killed off? I am not understanding why I would need to take them out and treat them and run the tank fallow, but I am sure I am missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Space in my house is limited, but I should be able to house these fish in the 75 gallon with the shark, Although not ideal. These are all big fish and I cant set up multiple 40 breeders inside my house, and In Florida garage is out of the question.
I had a similar situation and only ended up with a six line wrasse after all the other fish died. I reached out to a vendor who sells quarantined fish and he recommended that I remove the wrasse, quarantine it separately, and then run the DT fallow for the 76 days.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back