OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you for the info. The kit tom gave me the link for comes with adhesive to glue them down with. My ATI fixture just had a reflective insert that i can slide out and then adhere the LED's to the aluminum chanel under it. Its thick stuff so it should make for a great heatsink along with the cooling of the built in fan. I may go find a thin bar of aluminum to attach to the bottom of the chanel to mount the LED's on so they will set flush in the fixture, but it looks like it will work just fine. The only thing i need to do first is check out the wiring and make sure i can take a tube out without effecting any of the other bulbs.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on ? I am thinking doing the same on my Giesemann Matrixx

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im still debating on what to do. I wanted the LED's for a dusk to dawn effect but not sure i want to spend over $200 for 24 led's. I also thought about replacing the ballast that controls bulb 3 and 5 with a dimming model and using two E5 bulbs but i hear there not the same effects as LED's in the way of shimmer and were designed to be more like a true t5. This will save the bulb life for sure and allow me to ramp the lighting however its nearly the same coast as the LED kits with about $60 in savings.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that we are in the same boat regarding the possible options.
I was also looking the E5 bulbs but like you said , those ones are made to reproduce the T5 lighting (so no shimmer effect).
On my side I need to connect the Giesmann ballasts to the APEX by Rj45 cable.
Then for the LED mod,
Option 1 - Find a heatsink that will take the two middle bulb out and go with solderless LED or Linear Pcb strips like those from blueAcro or from Led-tech.DE.
Then use on each side of the heatsink the E5 bulb to reduce even more the heat the preserve the LED's.
Option 2 - would be to request Dave from NanoBoxReef a custom build Apex Ready.
Main concern to me is to keep a clean look of the fixture

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i think i found my game plan. Im going to get a dimmable ballast and replace the power cord with an additional two wires for the 10v dim. Im going to add two of the bioteck led bulbs and connect them to my apex. With 6 t5's on the second channel i should have enough par for my tank and still get the ramping mode i want as well as some shimmer effects.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was expecting to see some videos or specs from Biotek about those bulbs but until now I couldn't find anything.
Awaiting to see the new E5X from EuroAquatics...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind i just looked them up. Looks like a great option to what im looking for. They have replaced the reflector with a clear one and improved the heat sink. Looks like these will be more in line with the led effect im looking for, now just curious what the price tag will be on these bad doys.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind i just looked them up. Looks like a great option to what im looking for. They have replaced the reflector with a clear one and improved the heat sink. Looks like these will be more in line with the led effect im looking for, now just curious what the price tag will be on these bad doys.
I heard that the price should remain the same as the old version.
Now I would like to compare both E5X and B5HO specs but nothing found until now.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the 20000k and the 20000k+UV on the B5HO then keep my B+,purple+ and antic t5 bulbs

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following I have the same fixture and was thinking of doing the same thing

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i ordered my dimmable ballast yesterday and will replace and test it when it gets hear. The only thing left is to pull the plug on the bulbs. I sent an email to euroaquatics to see when the release date would be on there new E5X and look to hold out for them if there not delaying the January release. I also have to pick up a new multi conductor power cord to replace the old one on the fixture. Currently there are 5 conductors that power the ballasts and two for the fans so i need a new cord with two more conductors that i will use for the 10v dimming on the new ballast. I plan to modify the little black makeup box on the fixture with an RJ45 connector for my apex cable then give it a good test. I will post pics of the process as i go along.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i ordered my dimmable ballast yesterday and will replace and test it when it gets hear. The only thing left is to pull the plug on the bulbs. I sent an email to euroaquatics to see when the release date would be on there new E5X and look to hold out for them if there not delaying the January release. I also have to pick up a new multi conductor power cord to replace the old one on the fixture. Currently there are 5 conductors that power the ballasts and two for the fans so i need a new cord with two more conductors that i will use for the 10v dimming on the new ballast. I plan to modify the little black makeup box on the fixture with an RJ45 connector for my apex cable then give it a good test. I will post pics of the process as i go along.

Any update?

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes and no.. i got a used dimmable ballast from a member hear.. turns out it was bad. So he sent me a couple more that he had and one does nothing the other comes on as soon as you plug the power in. Im using a 9v battery across the control wires but nothing so in going to try and hook it up to a 10v source or my Apex and see what happens. Still not sure why it just power's up without any voltage to the 10v controls so it may also be funked up!

Matt Hursey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly. an 8 bulb ATI fixture is a ton of light for a 90 gallon. said you got a sweet deal on it. thought about just flipping it and buying something that will readily suit your needs? save you lots of headache i think.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't desecrate that beautiful Powermodule. This is my custom unit which was done so that it is completely reversible.

IMG_20151125_180256.jpg

In action.
IMG_20160105_161803.jpg

I am reverting the unit back to original state. I am taking out the strips and putting them inside a bar heatsink like reefbrite and attaching to the sides.

Add reefbrites or similar.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i was trying to do with mine. Bulb 3 and 5 are on a single ballast and i was wanting to put in a dimmable ballast to control with the apex and use two of the T5 led bulbs. Ramp them up for dusk to dawn effects and then bring on the other six for my photo period.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far i have been working with a used ballast i got from a member and finally got it to power up but have not had time to test the dimming with the apex.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly. an 8 bulb ATI fixture is a ton of light for a 90 gallon. said you got a sweet deal on it. thought about just flipping it and buying something that will readily suit your needs? save you lots of headache i think.
Matt why do you think its not enough for a 90? Its a 48" fixture 8x54w and actually rated for more then a 90gal. My tank is 48x18x24 and the fixture is nearly the same size. I have seen many beautiful mixed reef tanks on less of a light in fact the par from this fixture is strong enough to get it 8 to 10" off the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back