Help pleas !!! Snail hitchhiker

c4dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I found two of these on a snail they would go from being right up on his shell to being stretched out about 6 or 7 in really thin they almost look like they had little tentacles or feathers at the end of them that are hard to see in the pictures but I hope you can get an idea they appear green under the blue light so they were two of them side by side couldn't get a positive ID from anyone so I went ahead and nuked them and got them off of the snail now today about a month later I've seen another one on another snail I removed it as well but can someone please identify with this is as they keep coming back

20240217_130557.jpg 20240217_130555.jpg 20240217_130557.jpg 20240217_131628.jpg 20240217_131630.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

When you say they stretched out to 6-7 inches, did they maintain this shape, or did they start branching or something at some point?

My first thought would be either hydroid or jellyfish polyps (most likely hydroid), as quite a few hydroid polyps have this general shape, and some species display fluorescence; I'm not sure which species would fluoresce like this, though, especially leaving the tentacle crown un-lit. Additionally, while there are reportedly some hydroids that can reach around 6" full grown as polyps, they're definitely not as common as their smaller relatives.

So, you may have a pretty rare species there, which is neat - but you probably don't want it in your tank (it would be cool in a separate little tank though).

If it is hydroid polyps, I'd assume you have live hydroid medusae (tiny little jellyfish looking things) somewhere in the tank that are reproducing successfully, and these are the larvae settling onto the snail shells.

Some hydroids with relatively similar looking polyps:
-Clava multicornis
-Corymorpha spp.
-Cytaeis spp.
-Schuchertinia spp.
-Stylactis spp.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

When you say they stretched out to 6-7 inches, did they maintain this shape, or did they start branching or something at some point?

My first thought would be either hydroid or jellyfish polyps (most likely hydroid), as quite a few hydroid polyps have this general shape, and some species display fluorescence; I'm not sure which species would fluoresce like this, though, especially leaving the tentacle crown un-lit. Additionally, while there are reportedly some hydroids that can reach around 6" full grown as polyps, they're definitely not as common as their smaller relatives.

So, you may have a pretty rare species there, which is neat - but you probably don't want it in your tank (it would be cool in a separate little tank though).

If it is hydroid polyps, I'd assume you have live hydroid medusae (tiny little jellyfish looking things) somewhere in the tank that are reproducing successfully, and these are the larvae settling onto the snail shells.

-Clava multicornis
-Corymorpha spp.
-Cytaeis spp.
-Schuchertinia spp.
-Stylactis spp.
I actually have some sort of jelly fish reproducing in my tank and I have zero clue what they are or how they got in! Every time I see one my hippo tang eats it lol.. normally they’re small like 1/8” to 3/16” but this past weekend I saw one about 1/2” diameter and it disappeared before I could get a picture of video ugh! I don’t believe they’re upside down jellies as they pulsate vertically around my tank in the upper part of my water column… I only see them in the morning when the lights first come on and I’m only home to see that on the weekends. :rolleyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No there definitely a creature of some kind you van wach them "fish" extending in and out and retreat as fast a a coral when touched
Can you provide a video?

OP
OP
C

c4dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

-Clava multicornis
-Corymorpha spp.
-Cytaeis spp.
-Schuchertinia spp.
-Stylactis spp.
Thanks for the responce only one of them was really that long but I looked up images of Clava multicornis they don't branch all over like that there more like a flower or star polyps if that makes since. They have 1 head and a skirt

OP
OP
C

c4dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a video?
No unfortunately the one I had was crap and I deleted it but there like strings with polyp looking heads that sway all over then they real in a little while later they would stretch back out after needing the original to removing them from the set nail giving him a freshwater dip I thought I was done with them until I seen another one on another snail like I said just a few days okay

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responce only one of them was really that long but I looked up images of Clava multicornis they don't branch all over like that there more like a flower or star polyps if that makes since. They have 1 head and a skirt
So, more like the Corymorpha polyps? Or are the tentacles around the head thicker than that?

Any chance you could get a few close up pics of the just the critter's head and skirt?

OP
OP
C

c4dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, more like the Corymorpha polyps? Or are the tentacles around the head thicker than that?

Any chance you could get a few close up pics of the just the critter's head and skirt?
Unfortunately no because they stated in original post I knew them as if the reef tank and I didn't have a past tank to move them to the best way that I could describe them would be feather flower like though if I catch another one in my tank I'll definitely try to get some better images and video I removed the one yesterday as soon as I seen it as well but as you can see the tubes are green and they have like one white dot in the middle of the head that looks like a small white bead or something with feather like tentacles coming off all the way around

OP
OP
C

c4dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes a lot mor like the Corymorpha polyps I would say probly fewer and wider almost transparent tips

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back