(HELP!) Plumbing my 120G Marineland Cornor-Flo tank.

Seeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquarium has a single Corner Flo overflow that has two holes drilled in the bottom for a Durso setup by default. I purchased this tank before doing research, and now I see Bean Animal style overflows are the most popular setups now. I feel kinda bad because I've already exchanged one tank already due to not researching before I made my purchase, but I was ready to get started and kinda rushed into things without gathering a bit more information. So, with that said, here's my tank...

20190203_200711.jpg 20190203_200758.jpg

I really like the design of the stand, but I cant help but feel like I made a mistake with the overflow setup. So from what I understand, a Durso overflow setup is the loudest and least safe because it's prone to flooding. It looks like I can convert this to a Herbie , but I'm not sure about how to execute this. Would running a pipe outside the aquarium make sense, or should I drill another hole in the overflow?

I know you gurus can help me out! ;Penguin

Gahngoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom glass is probably tempered. So if you try to drill it... BOOM! Whole bottom pane busts into a million pieces.

Might be better off to just getting the right tank. It's usually the best option.

Lmmchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted my 120 RR dual overflow to a dual Herbie setup and drilled a hole in the back glass for a return works great and is silent once you get the siphon dialed in.
20180815_205604.jpeg
20181127_172730.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Seeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I tell if the back glass is tempered?

OP
OP
S

Seeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you ran a PVC outside the tank, right? How risky is this in terms of getting broken and causing a leak, etc.

Lmmchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you ran a PVC outside the tank, right? How risky is this in terms of getting broken and causing a leak, etc.
Yes and I have almost no chance of it breaking as my tank backs up to a wall and as far as the leaking it's possible just take your time gluing your pvc together and you should be ok. I'll try to take a picture of mine when I get home.

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that it’s tempered glass looking at your corner and the size of the glass

I would search but there corner line are normally higher quality glass normally starfire

Gahngoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I tell if the back glass is tempered?

They usually don't temper rear glass, but sometimes they just use what they have laying around. It's uncommon, but not unheard of...especially with high volume manufacturers. If you Google "how to determine if glass is tempered", you should be able to get tips. I believe if you look at an angle it will a slight difference in appearance to it, but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
S

Seeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided build my plumbing plans around a Durso setup. Will I have any problems running a manifold off the primary return pump with this setup? What should be considered?

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see an issue, but how many outlets are you placing on the manifold?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back