HELP! put coral dip in tank

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says i just put some coral dip in my display by mistake. The ME coral dip to be exact. i had a small little sample of it i got from reef a palooka last week as well as a sample of his coral food in a similar vial..... well i poured a bit of the dip in, maybe 1 ml or so. tank has the pine smell now. i put new carbon in but at the moment have no new water on hand and its almost midnight. tank is 150 gal What should i do?!?!?! am i in trouble or will it be ok?

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no luck getting help. i think i have no option but to run carbon and do like a 5 gallon water change :(. i cannot believe i did this. What sucks as well is i can't really find anything online about this happening to anyone to get an idea of what happened or didn't happen.... have no idea if I'm ok or what. been 40 or 45 min so far and everyone in tank looks normal but i can still smell the pine smell when i smell the water.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Possibly your inverts will be affected but fishes should be fine. Keep the carbon running and do a water change as soon as possible. Your water volume is high so possibly you will be fine....good luck.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@prsnlty I think you did something like this in past. Can you share what is best to do..

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@prsnlty I think you did something like this in past. Can you share what is best to do..
Lol yes I did [emoji33] (I can't believe someone remembered!)... it should be ok. I just did a wc and ran extra carbon 1ml is not much per volume of water it went into. Just keep an eye on your fish. Since you don't make your own water, keeping a couple of extra 5g buckets of ro hanging around for emergencies would be a good idea. I would get some asap just in case you need to rescue any fish and/or inverts.

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have an rodi and make water just don't have any made at the moment.... well i am making as we speak but at best i will get 10 or so gallons tonight. Ya I'm pretty sure it was 1ml or so at most. Been an hour or more and everything looks normal at the moment. i just put my old phosphate reactor in the sump full of carbon and have it running, so i got reactor, 2 return line filter socks and 1 filter sock under skimmer return line with carbon. about to do a 5 gallon water change as well. i just noticed the pine smell isn't as bad now so maybe carbon is working. i really hope i am ok. this mistake will never happen again, all dips will be moved to a completely different cabinet!!!!! Any other feedback or opinions are welcomed!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have an rodi and make water just don't have any made at the moment.... well i am making as we speak but at best i will get 10 or so gallons tonight. Ya I'm pretty sure it was 1ml or so at most. Been an hour or more and everything looks normal at the moment. i just put my old phosphate reactor in the sump full of carbon and have it running, so i got reactor, 2 return line filter socks and 1 filter sock under skimmer return line with carbon. about to do a 5 gallon water change as well. i just noticed the pine smell isn't as bad now so maybe carbon is working. i really hope i am ok. this mistake will never happen again, all dips will be moved to a completely different cabinet!!!!! Any other feedback or opinions are welcomed!
It sounds like you're on the right track :)

When it did it I meant to put in coral aminos. Same bottle color and everything. I too now keep meds in a separate location [emoji12]

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much did you put in and in how big of tank if you don't mind me asking? What happened if anything?

So far been 1.5+ hours and all looks fine, pine smell seems gone or almost gone. Did 5 gallon water change and will make and do 1 more. Running a ton of carbon 2, as said its about all i can do. Just praying all will be ok...... is it ok to blame this on being up a bit to late already and having a 6 month old baby i just helped my wife get to sleep by walking around rocking him to sleep then tried to throw my tank work in last sec......... :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much did you put in and in how big of tank if you don't mind me asking? What happened if anything?

So far been 1.5+ hours and all looks fine, pine smell seems gone or almost gone. Did 5 gallon water change and will make and do 1 more. Running a ton of carbon 2, as said its about all i can do. Just praying all will be ok...... is it ok to blame this on being up a bit to late already and having a 6 month old baby i just helped my wife get to sleep by walking around rocking him to sleep then tried to throw my tank work in last sec......... :)
I have my six month old granddaughter here and I understand exactly what you're talking about LOL I babysit her 5 days out of the week till about 2 or 3 a.m. I think your excuse is valid. However yes a separate cabinet would be definitely helpful [emoji12]

It was an eye dropper full. I'm guessing that's about a couple of milliliters in a 180 if I remember right. If not it was my 125g lol. It's been so long ago that I had forgotten I even did that. That's why I couldn't believe someone else remembered hahaha!

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting close to 3 hours, all still looking ok. i would think if it was going to kill anything it might have happened by now or at least i would have noticed fish or something going crazy??? Already did a 5 gal water change, got about 3 made up so far, will make close to 5 and do 1 more water change then have to go to bed :(. Guess i should leave all the carbon running all night?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting close to 3 hours, all still looking ok. i would think if it was going to kill anything it might have happened by now or at least i would have noticed fish or something going crazy??? Already did a 5 gal water change, got about 3 made up so far, will make close to 5 and do 1 more water change then have to go to bed :(. Guess i should leave all the carbon running all night?
Sounds fine but I wouldn't leave that much carbon running for more than 24 hours. I understand that can also cause issues with your fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 92 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back