Help! Stowaway thin striped hermit crab adoption (Ohio)

OpaeHappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Kiddo went shelling, and though we checked the shells well, still accidentally brought 2 thin striped hermit crabs back from the east coast to Ohio (USA). These are fully marine crabs. Returning them to the beach (10+ hour drive) isn't an option.

I only keep a brackish opae tank, so I had salt and sand to mix up a marine jar to keep them alive. But we don't have the resources to set up and maintain a full marine tank at the moment.

Does anyone know of a way to get these little guys adopted--either someone in central Ohio who could take them, or a good place in the area to ask? Non-aquarium people online have advised me to euthanize them, but the kiddo already feels terrible, and they're awfully cute little critters. I want to at least try to find them a home.

(If this isn't the correct forum for this thread, please let me know if I need to move this. Thank you!)

IMG_9991.jpg IMG_9989.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming no one on the forum here wants them, you could check if any of your local fish stores would take them. If the LFS don’t want them, I’d check around for any local reef clubs and reach out to see if any of the members would be interested.

That’s all I’ve got. Hope it helps, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming no one on the forum here wants them, you could check if any of your local fish stores would take them. If the LFS don’t want them, I’d check around for any local reef clubs and reach out to see if any of the members would be interested.

That’s all I’ve got. Hope it helps, and welcome to Reef2Reef!
Second this.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back