Help! What is this?

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black cap basslet that has a whitish film in patches...

thoughts on what this is and treatment? I currently have in a QT tank with several other fish , I had to tear down my DT due to dinos. So all fish went into QT tank. No medications currently in QT. DT is back up and ready but I haven't added anything to the new DT b/c I'm afraid of the other fish getting it now too, none with any signs currently though, thoughts? I appreciate your time.
blackcap1.jpg
blackcap2.jpg
blackcap2.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one, any other symptoms?

Could be bacterial in nature, but it looks more like some damage that may be trying to heal. Did it tangle with another fish? Perhaps a wrasse or a dottyback?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe rubbed up against a rock when you were transferring them?
Do you see anything on the fins or just the body? I can't tell from the pictures. Is it just discoloration or is it raised?

OP
OP
I

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no wrasse or dotty back was in with him when symptoms started showing.... there is a small candy cane wrasse in the qt with him now but i've never even seen them near each other the candy cane is very timid of everyone. it started off as more of a discoloration noticeable in those areas and has progressed to whitish. he constantly sucks mysis in and spits it out but has done this consistently . He was constantly darting in and out of rock work in the DT ... It's hard to see but I believe there might be the slightest sign of it on the rear fins... he also has it on both sides of him in patches which would lead me to believe it's more unlikely that he would have damaged himself on several sides etc? The patches don't really appear to be raised, if it is it's extremely slight. Does this info push you guy's in a particular direction?

I soaked the mysis in selcon tonight before feeding ... hoping to boost immune system to help fight whatever it is off. But should I be treating them all with something?

OP
OP
I

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hikari PraziPro... should I treat the QT and all fish with this as a preventative?

I've never done a freshwater dip before... this terrifies me to do this lol.

for clarification the freshwater itself is straight RODI water, temperature matched to saltwater. PH difference is not a factor? If it is what's the best way to adjust it?

Is it imperative that I do the freshwater dip or would treating with Prazi be just as effective. I know in that freshwater dip video she mentions something about doing the dip first because it can be harmful when the flukes seisure on the fish?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hikari PraziPro... should I treat the QT and all fish with this as a preventative?
I would do the fresh water dip before treating with anything. If you don't see signs of flukes when you do the fresh water dip then Prazi probably isn't the right answer unless you have seen white stringy poo. Having Prazi could complicate any other treatments so it is best to confirm before using it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the fresh water dip before treating with anything. If you don't see signs of flukes when you do the fresh water dip then Prazi probably isn't the right answer unless you have seen white stringy poo. Having Prazi could complicate any other treatments so it is best to confirm before using it.

+1

OP
OP
I

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what else should a first timer know about a fresh water dip other then what's in the video above?

how important is it to match ph etc?...

also under what circumstances with the fish being treated should the dip be aborted ... it's pretty scary to see how the fish acted in the freshwater dip... what signs should i be looking for that I should stop the dip early?

Thanks again guys... I really appreciate your help on all this.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
I

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the freshwater dip .... I did not notice any flukes coming off the fish... I would have thought it would have been easily noticed as in other videos that i've seen of it being done.

so... if it's not flukes where does that leave me on this journey?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the freshwater dip .... I did not notice any flukes coming off the fish... I would have thought it would have been easily noticed as in other videos that i've seen of it being done.

so... if it's not flukes where does that leave me on this journey?
I think that leaves you with a bacterial infection. Very glad you did the dip instead of just treating with Prazi!

Does it look to be getting any better or worse?

OP
OP
I

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks to be about the same ... if anything maybe every so slightly better, but I would say the same

suggestions on how to treat?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks to be about the same ... if anything maybe every so slightly better, but I would say the same

suggestions on how to treat?
Personally, I would give it one more day to see if it improves since it is not getting worse. If you don't have anything to treat a bacterial infection I would pick some up to make sure I was ready.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
I

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is alright to dose all other fish in QT with the Kanaplex as they may have been exposed to it now as well?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back