Help with ID Red area on copperband butterfly

undbulsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had copperband butterfly in quarantine for around 10 days. No treatment, just trying to fatten him up and maybe get him used to eating frozen clams, bloodworms, and maybe frozen mysis. Was eating well, then he began to develop lymphocystis. Just one spot on his tail. Then he developed a small red lesion on his side, and the lymphocystis got worse, followed soon by the red area getting larger.

What am I dealing with here? Vibrio? Uronema? Soething else?

Started him on Cipro at 500mg/10gallon based upon human treatment for vibrio in humans. I have access to just about anything for treatment. Any ideas on diagnosis or treatment?
IMG_0387.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be uronema... but I would be most concerned about a bacterial infection.

If it was me, I would start with an acriflavine dip, followed by transfer to a sterile QT.

Acriflavine

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh....php?threads/Acriflavine.282887/&share_type=t

Followed by the trifecta, furan-2 + kanaplex + metroplex for 10-14 days.

Antibiotics

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh....php?threads/Antibiotics.283711/&share_type=t

That would immediately address either, but uronema is a bit tricky.... I’d probably want to prophylactically treat with CP for any remaining parasites after he’s recovered. But, you could also transfer to another sterile QT and observe.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend NFG for treatment. This is unfortunately very commonly seen in copperbands.

http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

As @ngoodermuth mentioned uronema is also a possibility. Metronidazole would be the needed treatment if that is the case.
I would like to buy NFG. Due to the high cost, am wondering how much to buy. Would the 250 g amount be enough for someone who does a couple of quarantines per year in a 20 gallon QT tank? Since the purchase amount is in grams and the amount to use is in teaspoons, it’s hard to gauge. Sorry to hijack this thread, but the OP may be wondering as well.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to buy NFG. Due to the high cost, am wondering how much to buy. Would the 250 g amount be enough for someone who does a couple of quarantines per year in a 20 gallon QT tank? Since the purchase amount is in grams and the amount to use is in teaspoons, it’s hard to gauge. Sorry to hijack this thread, but the OP may be wondering as well.
It would be more than enough. It's roughly 62.5mg per gallon per dose.

So for a 20 gallon tank 1.25g per dose.

For each full 14 day treatment you'd need about 17.5g.

Check out eBay they sold smaller portions at one time.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be more than enough. It's roughly 62.5mg per gallon per dose.

So for a 20 gallon tank 1.25g per dose.

For each full 14 day treatment you'd need about 17.5g.

Check out eBay they sold smaller portions at one time.
Thank you. It’s very helpful.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back