Help with setting up a hospital tank

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose the entire display with the fish in it with prazipro. You'll do a water change before doing the second round about 5-7 days later. If prazi hasn't worked on these worms then you may need to pull the fish for formalin dips.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose the entire display with the fish in it with prazipro. You'll do a water change before doing the second round about 5-7 days later. If prazi hasn't worked on these worms then you may need to pull the fish for formalin dips.

Awesome! Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I feel better. And I have ordered Quick Cure this morning and it should be here on the 10th just in case I do need it. Thanks Meredith. [emoji56]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I feel better. And I have ordered Quick Cure this morning and it should be here on the 10th just in case I do need it. Thanks Meredith. [emoji56]

Anytime!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 Based upon anecdotal experience, sometimes prazi works to eradicate turbellarians, sometimes not. But formalin seems to work 100% of the time.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Based upon anecdotal experience, sometimes prazi works to eradicate turbellarians, sometimes not. But formalin seems to work 100% of the time.

Thanks, Humble. Quick Cure is in the mail. The only place I could get it is from Pet Mountain. Do you have any experience with them? This is my first order from them and don't know where they're located and can't find that info on their website.

Also would you recommend a 45 minute bath with QC and then into a sterile tank? For how long in the tank after the bath? Since I don't have the bottle yet, I don't know the dosage either. Should I follow the directions on the bottle? They will go in a 5 gallon bucket for the bath.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Humble. Quick Cure is in the mail. The only place I could get it is from Pet Mountain. Do you have any experience with them? This is my first order from them and don't know where they're located and can't find that info on their website.

Yes, I've used them quite often and have always been pleased.

Also would you recommend a 45 minute bath with QC and then into a sterile tank? For how long in the tank after the bath? Since I don't have the bottle yet, I don't know the dosage either. Should I follow the directions on the bottle? They will go in a 5 gallon bucket for the bath.

Yes; although in 7 days you will need to administer another 45 minute bath and then transfer into a different (sterile) tank. Because like prazi, it is unlikely that formalin kills the eggs.

Directions for QC can be found here:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/FritzMardelKordon.html#quickcure

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one last question (and it's a doozie): if Prazi doesn't kill eggs, and formalin doesn't kill eggs, how do I get them out of my DT? [emoji15]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one last question (and it's a doozie): if Prazi doesn't kill eggs, and formalin doesn't kill eggs, how do I get them out of my DT? [emoji15]
upload_2017-1-4_13-27-41.png

Or you can dose the Prazi twice. 2 doses, 5 days apart. I would consider doing a 3rd dose on day 15. If the Prazi is going to work, this should break the cycle if I understand it correctly.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2017-1-4_13-27-41.png

Or you can dose the Prazi twice. 2 doses, 5 days apart. I would consider doing a 3rd dose on day 15. If the Prazi is going to work, this should break the cycle if I understand it correctly.

+1 Except I would wait a full 7 days before doing the second round of Prazipro for treating black ich. Make sure the little buggers have all hatched and then zap them before they are mature enough to lay eggs of their own. ;)

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Except I would wait a full 7 days before doing the second round of Prazipro for treating black ich. Make sure the little buggers have all hatched and then zap them before they are mature enough to lay eggs of their own. ;)

Oh I'm gonna zap them alright!! If only they could hold up little surrender flags [emoji1021] so I can see them. [emoji457]

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, it's one question after another.

Is Quick Cure still potent if it freezes? The weather is going to dip below zero this coming week. It doesn't say on the bottle.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, it's one question after another.

Is Quick Cure still potent if it freezes? The weather is going to dip below zero this coming week. It doesn't say on the bottle.
It won't freeze and it will be just fine. It has over 10% methanol in it which is a common ingredient in antifreeze. Even if it were to freeze, nothing should be negatively impacted.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't freeze and it will be just fine. It has over 10% methanol in it which is a common ingredient in antifreeze. Even if it were to freeze, nothing should be negatively impacted.

Sweet.
I think I took over the OP's thread. Didn't mean to. It only started out as one simple question. At least now I got all my answers! Thanks again and stay wet and warm. That last sentence doesn't quite sound right does it? [emoji228]

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've used them quite often and have always been pleased.

Yes; although in 7 days you will need to administer another 45 minute bath and then transfer into a different (sterile) tank. Because like prazi, it is unlikely that formalin kills the eggs.

Directions for QC can be found here:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/FritzMardelKordon.html#quickcure

For Mardels Quick Cure, the ingredients are listed as malachite green and formalin in that order. Does anyone know what the percentage is in the formalin? I need to do a bath for black ich. Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Mardels Quick Cure, the ingredients are listed as malachite green and formalin in that order. Does anyone know what the percentage is in the formalin? I need to do a bath for black ich. Thanks.

Used to be it was 37% formaldehyde. However, since Fritz took over making it I'm not sure anymore. I'll give them a call. Me and @Brew12 have a bone to pick with them anyway over their recommended therapeutic levels for Coppersafe. ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back