Hi, new reefer here from Scandinavia

KM7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to reefing, however I've have have 2 freshwater aquariums. I used to have 4, but now I have converted one nano 8g tank for SW and one 5g for Quarantine tank.

I've done mostly aquascaping with the FW tanks, all of them have been slightly dirtied tanks with good success, trying to take the best of both worlds, a little soil with more "high tech" equipment such as Co2 Injection, all been heavy planted with light stocking.

But! Now for the last 8 months I've been wanting to try Saltwater been doing a lot of research. I promised myself if I still wanted after new years I would buy basic equipment and so I have.

I want to go low tech SW to try out. I plan to have light stock - maybe only invertebrates since it is a small tank and a few corals. I will also try to get suitable microalgae over time. I've always had a weak spot for FW plants so hopefully I can get some microalgae.

I dont plan to use any supplements at the moment, only a 10 - 20% weekly water change (more if needed). Since its such small volume its easier to go for water changes rather than using equipment to keep the water clean, especially in a smaller apartment..

This might change it I convert my bigger tank(15g) to SW if I end up enjoying this more than FW.

My main tank 8g is cycling atm and my quarantine tank (5g) holds 2 hardy frags - 1 gorgonian and 1 GSP I got locally. Most likely I will only go for soft corals for this tank as I'm still learning.

Looking forwards to the ugly phases and see how it develops - kind of liked this with my FW as well as I'm quite interested in seeing the ecosphere develop. Already got some Amphipods in a plastic container that I'm going to add soon once they have something more to eat in the MT.

-Edit (Accidentally pressed post before I was done! )

Last edited:

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome
IMG_9144.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to reefing, however I've have have 2 freshwater aquariums. I used to have 4, but now I have converted one nano 8g tank for SW and one 5g for Quarantine tank.

I've done mostly aquascaping with the FW tanks, all of them have been slightly dirtied tanks with good success, trying to take the best of both worlds, a little soil with more "high tech" equipment such as Co2 Injection, all been heavy planted with light stocking.

But! Now for the last 8 months I've been wanting to try Saltwater been doing a lot of research. I promised myself if I still wanted after new years I would buy basic equipment and so I have.

I want to go low tech SW to try out. I plan to have light stock - maybe only invertebrates since it is a small tank and a few corals. I will also try to get suitable microalgae over time. I've always had a weak spot for FW plants so hopefully I can get some microalgae.

I dont plan to use any supplements at the moment, only a 10 - 20% weekly water change (more if needed). Since its such small volume its easier to go for water changes rather than using equipment to keep the water clean, especially in a smaller apartment..

This might change it I convert my bigger tank(15g) to SW if I end up enjoying this more than FW.

My main tank 8g is cycling atm and my quarantine tank (5g) holds 2 hardy frags - 1 gorgonian and 1 GSP I got locally. Most likely I will only go for soft corals for this tank as I'm still learning.

Looking forwards to the ugly phases and see how it develops - kind of liked this with my FW as well as I'm quite interested in seeing the ecosphere develop. Already got some Amphipods in a plastic container that I'm going to add soon once they have something more to eat in the MT.

-Edit (Accidentally pressed post before I was done! )
Welcome!

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef!

That sounds like it’s going to be a fun little set up. Definitely not much need for the crazy equipment. Consistent water changes will take far in the early days.

Any specific inverts you were thinking of? Especially if you don’t have fish rock flower anemones and sexy shrimp are pretty good nano inhabitants. If you can keep up with the water quality.

The process of cycling can be quite fun to watch. Be patient with it and it shall reward you.

There are ton of people here happy to help if you need any questions answered.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back