High End Markets (California and Florida) Can you find Deals at Frag Swaps or No - Online your Price

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Deep Sea Creations store here in temecula...they have a little frag tank where they're in sections from $10 to about $45. I can go to the $10 section n_n

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything cost more here in California from gasoline to coral, hey I have no choice but to pay these high cost. Living in California is considered a luxury now. Sheesh.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything cost more here in California from gasoline to coral, hey I have no choice but to pay these high cost. Living in California is considered a luxury now. Sheesh.

People.

I get that stuff is more in California.

My point is all the Non-Coral stuff is not 20 to 50 times the price of non-coral stuff in Michigan so why are the Corals 20 to 50 times the price?

It is the insanely huge difference in price (Not the fact that it is more but how much more).

If a McDouble is 1.19 here and 1.59 there I get that it is a tad bit more - Very Understandable.

But if everything were equal to Coral that McDouble would be 59.50 and I know for a fact that it is nowhere near that price or everyone would move.

Do you guys get what I am saying?

Ian Eisenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are just looking at market flexibility.
If you are growing out in a garage and doing it as a side thing (fun or hobby) your overhead is negligible. Now look at what it costs to own an actual shop or have a large grow out facility running lights, chillers, skimmers, etc.

I can speak to the wholesale side as it effects imports and the LFS. It costs a lot to bring in corals. There are innumerable things to be dealt with from CITES permitting to fish and wildlife permits and inspections to waste water and local regulations.
Remember that most hobbyists rarely progress past a certain stage and for them the "bread and butter" stuff is great. There are people who kill xenia and GSP.

The named coral (and I hate this part of the business) is just basic marketing. Sell a nice zoa with a name like "Froot Loops" or "Rastas" and it brings in more than if you just called it a polyp. Also it is basic psychology. Charge more and the perception is it is worth more. I have seen stuff sit in an LFS tank and not move until they actually RAISE the price.

For us, we don't raise prices based on the market. We pay a certain amount and add our markup to cover costs and a small profit. We deal fairly with everyone we sell to and make sure they are happy with what they have.

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supply and demand.
this conversation always comes up!

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just let me know when you can find a colony of 20 strats or 20 hallucinations for $20 in your home town I will fly right over......rarity is the key if its really over priced no one will but it..... just my .02.....

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just let me know when you can find a colony of 20 strats or 20 hallucinations for $20 in your home town I will fly right over......rarity is the key if its really over priced no one will but it..... just my .02.....

Well that is not going to happen. LOL.

Eventually it will though as Everything Drops in Price.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People.

I get that stuff is more in California.

My point is all the Non-Coral stuff is not 20 to 50 times the price of non-coral stuff in Michigan so why are the Corals 20 to 50 times the price?

It is the insanely huge difference in price (Not the fact that it is more but how much more).

If a McDouble is 1.19 here and 1.59 there I get that it is a tad bit more - Very Understandable.

But if everything were equal to Coral that McDouble would be 59.50 and I know for a fact that it is nowhere near that price or everyone would move.

Do you guys get what I am saying?

I understood what you meant, I was just complaining about the high prices of everything here in California. I wish I knew why corals are more expensive here then most places. If I had to guess maybe it's just the wholesalers charging more then they should for corals just to do it or maybe they know they can get away with it and people here will pay those prices. I'm just guessing here.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood what you meant, I was just complaining about the high prices of everything here in California. I wish I knew why corals are more expensive here then most places. If I had to guess maybe it's just the wholesalers charging more then they should for corals just to do it or maybe they know they can get away with it and people here will pay those prices. I'm just guessing here.

I am not talking about Wholesalers but Individual Hobbyists that Grow out there Coral and sell Frags.

I am not talking about Flippers.

Do the Individual Hobbyists the sell out of their homes give good deals or no?

I am talking about more casual collectors not people that do it for a living but people that do it on the side to pay for this expensive hobby.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 60 Plus Polyps of Red Hornets for 10.00 and they are the Size of Paly's I kid you not.

I have never seen Zoanthids this big before.

Visiting people taking down tanks is amazing.

I also got a Vortech MP-10 for 100.00

Now those are Deals.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 60 Plus Polyps of Red Hornets for 10.00 and they are the Size of Paly's I kid you not.

I have never seen Zoanthids this big before.

Visiting people taking down tanks is amazing.

Now those are Deals.

Got a pic? I have a feeling those aren't really red hornets you got.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

+1. This adds a new dynamic to this conversation. There are a lot of people who sell corals under a name bc they look somewhat similar to the named piece (for example, large red hornets). However, this is actually not the same coral and ethically should not be sold under that name. This would DEFINITELY explain a price difference...

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They definetly are the Real Deal.

I do not have a good Camera to take pics.

They always come up unviewable (I use All Blue Lights so that is probably why).

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. This adds a new dynamic to this conversation. There are a lot of people who sell corals under a name bc they look somewhat similar to the named piece (for example, large red hornets). However, this is actually not the same coral and ethically should not be sold under that name. This would DEFINITELY explain a price difference...

They are the Real Deal I assure you.

I know what Hornets are.

They are not Fake.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo.................

Attachments

• useless thread.jpg
    useless thread.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 145

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back