High End Markets (California and Florida) Can you find Deals at Frag Swaps or No - Online your Price

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very True there are more Reefers.

But likewise there are also more Sellers.

So that should even it out.

So...what's your theory? We've offered plenty of reasons we see for price difference, but it seems you disagree with all of them...so I'm now interested in what you think the angle is.

cutterx23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo.................

ahahahaha best thing I've seen.

You don't have whites at all to snap a pic? Or don't want the flame after you post it that they aren't real? Hey hopefully they are and you just have the awesome luck of scoring all the best deals. Tear downs are always the best ways to get stuff, you just gotta wait for those to come along, and depending what you're looking for, a lot of those tear downs have very basic corals, that I personally wouldn't be looking for anyways.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahahahaha best thing I've seen.

You don't have whites at all to snap a pic? Or don't want the flame after you post it that they aren't real? Hey hopefully they are and you just have the awesome luck of scoring all the best deals. Tear downs are always the best ways to get stuff, you just gotta wait for those to come along, and depending what you're looking for, a lot of those tear downs have very basic corals, that I personally wouldn't be looking for anyways.

No, I actually only use Blue Bulbs and Corals don't come out right on a Camera Phone.

Yes, you are correct, it was a Tank Tear Down but I go to them all the Time (I actually went to Two Tear Downs Yesterday).

But I have been to that persons House 4 Times already (Two were before he decided to take it down - And I still got Killer Deals).

But I have also met with a lot of people who were not going to tear down their tanks for great deals as well.

I also meet up with them at Frag Swaps too for Killer Deals.

And all these people have good stuff (I would not go to some Noobs house selling Xenia).

I know ahead of time what they have so I am not Waisting My Time.

Last edited:

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not talking about Wholesalers but Individual Hobbyists that Grow out there Coral and sell Frags.

I am not talking about Flippers.

Do the Individual Hobbyists the sell out of their homes give good deals or no?

I am talking about more casual collectors not people that do it for a living but people that do it on the side to pay for this expensive hobby.

Depending on what the corals are and if they are the most desired you could buy rastas for around 25$ for a couple polyps. The same goes for all the other desired ZOA's but for instance you could pay the same price for around 6 polyps of BamBams. I've seen it happen on our buy and sell forum. The same goes for SPS I paid 30$ for a 1/2 inch frag of an Aqua SD Rainbow Mili but paid 15$ for a two inch piece of a Green Slimmer. So maybe it just has to do with buying the most desired coral everyone else has or wants.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what the corals are and if they are the most desired you could buy rastas for around 25$ for a couple polyps. The same goes for all the other desired ZOA's but for instance you could pay the same price for around 6 polyps of BamBams. I've seen it happen on our buy and sell forum. The same goes for SPS I paid 30$ for a 1/2 inch frag of an Aqua SD Rainbow Mili but paid 15$ for a two inch piece of a Green Slimmer. So maybe it just has to do with buying the most desired coral everyone else has or wants.

25.00 is a lot for Rastas

I have seen them for 1.50 a Polyp.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25.00 is a lot for Rastas

I have seen them for 1.50 a Polyp.

So because someone who is tearing a tank down is selling their corals cheap that dictates the market for said coral?

And I'm still waiting on pics of previously stated red hornets

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a cheap reefer been reefing in socal since 94. Don't know what we're talking about as I've never paid more than $100 for a frag from lfs or reefers (usually more like $20). Lfs are so abundant, so competitive, being so close to wholesalers in la I feel like we're spoiled with the choices on livestock. I've filled two tanks with good livestock usually paying <$100 per frag, often more like $20.

This is what that cheap reefing has produced

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407764738.846381.jpg

This rock with about 50 polyps cost me $100, closest to the most I've spent. Honestly I thought this was pricey, but it had Rastas, purple and red hornets on it.

This chalice frag was from an lfs live sale for about $30

I look at the prices on the national board and there is no comparison to this market.

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High End Markets (California and Florida) Can you find Deals at Frag Swaps or...

No polyp or frag in this photo did I pay more than $20-$30 for from reefers or lfs

And I just got done selling frags (~70-80) from my sps tank at a flat price if $10 an inch so I could gain some space in my 125 system...

Last edited:
OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No polyp or frag in this photo did I pay more than $20-$30 for from reefers or lfs

And I just got done selling frags (~70-80) from my sps tank at a flat price if $10 an inch so I could gain some space in my 125 system...

Those are all good Deals for Sure.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen rastas for 1.50. Some fake ones or look alike yes. But not the real rastas. Even if it was a colony

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because someone who is tearing a tank down is selling their corals cheap that dictates the market for said coral?

And I'm still waiting on pics of previously stated red hornets

I too am curious of of the OP pictures. Using kessil 150 and cell phone does take pictures even bad ones, unless there's nothing to take a picture of. What they always tell us in medical field "If it is not documented, it did not happen".
Let's see some pics of the good stuff you have acquired for good deals. You have taken a good pics of your "red montipora with white spots"

Tjohnson8057

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in fl or cal? Or live in mi? Hmmmmmm i dono man that's a hard one but I think I'll just deal with the high market :wink:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should create a universale price forum/thread were we vote how much a polyp of fruit loops, la lakers, AOG, CA, CARs, zoas and palys in general should cost or what we paid for. We can list and take a 30 day poll of how much we paid for per polyp including receipts, LFS prices including photos of sales etc, and hobbyist prices. Then we can do some simple math of mean, median, and mode.

With this, everyone can go into a buy knowing that if they pay $5 more or $5 less it's a great deal.

What do you think?

Like a KBB or NADA Guide for corals? Even those are based on zip codes so you will see a totally different value depending on your zip code as some things are more desirable in certain places. It will never be perfect, but if there was a way to make it "crowd-built" with data points it could be possible... However you would need the resellers on board with it.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here's one................. I gave my JD away to a friend as It wasn't doing great at all in mine and was afraid of losing It.
Now in his tank it recovered and doing awesome.
My point is should all JD be free or going for almost nothing on the market?
Cause you got a good deal on some corals we shouldn't whine as other LFS or reefers still asking the normal rate for them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back