Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yea your water is Insanely dirty and you can see how bad the sediment filter looks just after 10 gallons. This is really bad in the sense that your tap water is dirty. in this case we highly recommend you add more Sediment filter stages. we would recommend 3 which may be overkill but we recommend doing a 10 micron, 5 micron and 1 micron again this may be overkill but then again you want to keep high end acros... Also you will need to change your sediment filters out more frequently.

Becoming a pro and be overly cautious of using 0 TDS is the number 1 thing we recommend for keeping high end acros.
I appreciate this insight. It doesn't matter if it's excessive or seems excessive IMO, I'm all for erring on the side of caution :p If your RODI is bad too it makes sense it wouldn't necessarily show in a matter of 3-6 months. But you may have big issues down the line.

Anyways thanks. This discussion prompted me to investigate further.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when is the last time you changed your membranes?
This might be really dumb to ask but what do you mean by membrane? Lol. I thought membrane is synonymous for the stage of the filter. I.e. the carbon stage = carbon membrane.

Ok I just looked it up I feel like an idiot. I didn't even know the RO membrane was a thing. I've never replaced it.... After filling probably 250G and topping off a 140G system for 9 months.

Is that bad?

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
This might be really dumb to ask but what do you mean by membrane? Lol. I thought membrane is synonymous for the stage of the filter. I.e. the carbon stage = carbon membrane.

Ok I just looked it up I feel like an idiot. I didn't even know the RO membrane was a thing. I've never replaced it.... After filling probably 250G and topping off a 140G system for 9 months.

Is that bad?

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

all i can say is OMG we change this every 2 months. Please change it ASAP and go ahead and change all filters to fully change the full system I bet once you do this and then burn off 50 gallons of water and then use that water your PE and growth will Imrove alot.

you have homework to do!!! and then please report back your results but that is likely your PE issue solved!

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a pic of how it looked when you 1st got it? I do think Tenuis to get prime colors 400-500 par is ideal. Also what is your no3 and po4, its hard to pin point anything less we know all your paramers.
Thank you for your quick reply!

I think this is the pic not too long in the tank--maybe two weeks later?

My NO3 is about 4.0, PO4 is 0.08. Alk is 9.0, Ca 420, Mg 1430.

My last ICP was from Reef-labs.com and done about 4 months ago. I will need to send out for a new one.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Aroundwhen1stbought57.jpg
    Aroundwhen1stbought57.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 61

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Shane.

Any tips on how I can get secondary and tertiary colors better on my tenuis? (It use to have more pink) it has been on my tank for 6 months.

At 1st had it under like 400 par and thought it turned more blue. Now I have it at around 285 par.
Do you think higher or lower par helps bring out these secondary/tertiary colors?

Or am I off tangent and it is something else such as trace elements or nutrients?

Thank you Shane for everything you do here!

VideoCapture_20230808-220009.jpg
@billyocean can give you guidance on how to bring out the complementary colors in SPS. He does an amazing job of it... I know even Shane's impressed with some of the expressions he brings out.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for teaching me something new man. I'll be replacing the RO membranes and actually using the flush valve/pressure gauge lol. Can't believe I just glazed over this stuff... I feel silly!
Nothing to feel silly about, it's a complicated system that requires a good amount of water chemistry knowledge to fully appreciate. We'll get you through it, all you need to do is ask.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@billyocean can give you guidance on how to bring out the complementary colors in SPS. He does an amazing job of it... I know even Shane's impressed with some of the expressions he brings out.
Good flow, good husbandry with waterchanges and such is #1. My acros are in 300-500 par in spots.
Alk8.1ish
Cal 425-450ish
Mag 1400ish
P04 .05-.12ish
No3 10-20ish
Potassium 400-430ish

I use kz colors 1234 but color was fine before that..I would say it gave improvement but again..hard work and consistency go the longest yard

Last edited:

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever kept softies like toadstools with your acros? I’m wondering about the chemical warfare/slime that some people say is detrimental to sps growth.

AquaGemCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Shane, you said we should change our rodi membrains every 2 months but how often would you recommend we change the Sediment Filter, Carbon, Di Resin?
Thanks

boostle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shane, you said we should change our rodi membrains every 2 months but how often would you recommend we change the Sediment Filter, Carbon, Di Resin?
Thank

Replacing your Ro membrane every two months is insane. The correct way is to test your TDS coming out of your RO membrane, tds coming out of RO should be less than 10 TDS . Keep in mind an RO membrane can last years if taken care of. As for sediment, carbon, i replace every 6 months but this also depends on your area but every 6 months is what has worked for me over the years. Replace your DI resin when you are no longer getting less than 3 tds imo. Ive gone as long as 5 tds cause im frugal like that lol.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing your Ro membrane every two months is insane. The correct way is to test your TDS coming out of your RO membrane, tds coming out of RO should be less than 10 TDS . Keep in mind an RO membrane can last years if taken care of. As for sediment, carbon, i replace every 6 months but this also depends on your area but every 6 months is what has worked for me over the years. Replace your DI resin when you are no longer getting less than 3 tds imo. Ive gone as long as 5 tds cause im frugal like that lol.
I get the first part, but no way would I put 3-5 tds in my acro tank. There is no telling what is in that tds.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back