High nitrates

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help controlling nitrates in a aggresive mixed reef.

The tank is 4' x 8' x 16" and is about 320 gallons with a 100 gallon sump. In the sump I have chaeto and a RDSB. I am running 2 - 7" filter socks, Reeflo Orca pro1, Emperor Aquatics 80W smart HO UV sterilizer and a next reef reactor with GFO.

In the tank I have a 10" blonde Naso tang, 6" Vlamingii tang, 5" Harliquin Tusk,
5" Red Breast Maori Wrasse, A pair of Crosshatch Triggers about 9", 12" Golden tail eel, 4" blue head wrasse and a 8" cat banded shark. I am feeding frozen food every other day and spectrum pellets every day. I also have some anemones, SPS and LPS corals in the tank.

Everything looks great and growing but I can't get the Nitrates down below 40and Phosphates are about .35.

I am open to suggestions so any help would be welcomed.

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe run a reactor with the polymer bio pellets.

I am running another tank with Ecobak and they work great but I am running the UV sterilizer on my 320 and read somewhere it wouldn't be a good idea to run both. I may be wrong.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallons is a tiny percentage of your total water volume, so you are only diluting nitrates by that % per day.

a 50% water change w/ 0 tds water will reduce nitrates by 50%. it is a directly proportional.

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallons is a tiny percentage of your total water volume, so you are only diluting nitrates by that % per day.

a 50% water change w/ 0 tds water will reduce nitrates by 50%. it is a directly proportional.

Are you saying its better to do 1 large water change per week instead of every day? If so I will do a large WC tonight and see what happens. My next step would be to how soon the Nitrates start to climb back up.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do biger daily changes 25-50gal a day and you will see better results, 5gal like said isnt even 1% of your total volume so not going to benefit from it. Larger change will be more effective. 7 days of 50gal wil be 100% change out. At 5 gal a day will take 70 days for 100% change out.

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do biger daily changes 25-50gal a day and you will see better results, 5gal like said isnt even 1% of your total volume so not going to benefit from it. Larger change will be more effective. 7 days of 50gal wil be 100% change out. At 5 gal a day will take 70 days for 100% change out.

Thanks I will give it a try starting tonight. I'll keep you posted on the results.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good!

fwiw, 40ppm nitrates isn't TOO terrible. get it down to 20ppm and that's acceptable imo...esp considering your bioload. one 50% wc will get you to 20ppm.

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience in general it is better to do small water changes more frequently unless your battling high nitrates, I would recommend doing a series of large(30-40%) water changes every other day until you get the nitrates down, then resume your daily water changes (at least 5%) to maintain an acceptable level.....that's always worked for me......

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience in general it is better to do small water changes more frequently unless your battling high nitrates, I would recommend doing a series of large(30-40%) water changes every other day until you get the nitrates down, then resume your daily water changes (at least 5%) to maintain an acceptable level.....that's always worked for me......

Thats what I always thought. Oops went back and reread the post and missed the part that said "unless your battling high nitrates"

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the bigger water change until they come down. Just make sure your RO water has 0 TDS or you'll be adding more too it

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the bigger water change until they come down. Just make sure your RO water has 0 TDS or you'll be adding more too it

My RO/DI is 0 TDS. I think most of my Nitrate problems comes from fish waste

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO/DI is 0 TDS. I think most of my Nitrate problems comes from fish waste

+1

IMHO the best way to control nutrients like nitrates is to increase the consumers of those nutrients. In that case the macros in your refugium.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 133 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back