Hippo Tang Stressed?

Spectuhcle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this hippo tang for probably 6 months now. He's maybe 3-4in long in a 4 ft tank. I know he will need a bigger tank as he gets bigger. He started glass surfing a couple days ago. I've tried a large (35-40% water change). No one else in the tank is having any issues. I have a magnificent fox face (yes I know he will need a bigger tank at some point too but he's still only a couple inches. I have a pair of clowns that stay in the other corner of the tank and Mandarin. Numerous cleanup crew as I'm fighting a little bit of algae.

The Hippo tang has been glass surfing mostly in one corner of the tank. He's an extremely active fish so I'm curious if this is just him being him or if he's starting to stress because the tank is too small? I wouldn't think so because he's only 3-4 inches in a 48 inch tank. I did switch the type of nori I feed around the time this happened so maybe he's searching for the good stuff I used to feed as he doesn't show much interest in the purple nori that I switched to because the lfs only had the purple. (I used to feed the green sea veggies) He still seems fat and well fed to me and there is a ton of algae around for him to eat if he's hungry.

Before anyone asks, yes I'm buying a house with room for a bigger tank within the year. He will have a 6ft tank when I move into the new house. If the tank is already too small, will he last that long or do I need to rehome him. He grew much faster than the LFS said he was going to. They said I had at least 2 or 3 years until he outgrew the tank.

Parameters:
Temp fluctuates between 78 and 79
Ph fluctuates between 7.9 and 8.2 with an average of 8.07
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 8 (I aim for between 5 and 10)
Phosphate - 0.04 (This is dosed to keep if from bottoming out)
Alk - 8.5 (I like to keep this around 9 but something has been sucking my alk for the last couple weeks and I haven't dialed in the doser yet)
Calc - 400 (I haven't figured out where is best for my tank yet but 400 isn't abnormal)
Mag - 1450 (I haven't figured out where is best for my tank yet but 1450 also isn't abnormal)

Lights are on from 10am to 9pm with an included hour ramp on both ends (I know this is probably a lot but I like to look at my fish tank all day)
Par is around 100 - 250 in the tank
I have 2 nero 5s running at 50% on random flow and a nero 3 on 10% (just to get rid of a dead spot in the tank)
My desk is in the background of the video and I sit at it pretty much all day so he should be used to me by now and he didn't seem too afraid when I was videoing him from 5 or 6 feet away but when I moved up to the glass he went and hid as he usually does

My fox face and him used to share a home in the tank but not as much now because he spends more time swimming around and glass surfing. I haven't seen any aggression toward the hippo other than the self-defense kinda "hey your getting too crazy. Settle down" where he shows him his spines and then the hippo just swims away

He does seem to breath significantly heavier than most fish I've kept but he's been that way since I got him

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is he just stressed with the tank? Possible disease? Anything I can do to calm him down?

Attachments

• DorySpazzing.mp4
    36.2 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need clear pics and video using white lighting please. Also can you please explain your quarantine procedure as well as give any information on new additions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had this hippo tang for probably 6 months now. He's maybe 3-4in long in a 4 ft tank. I know he will need a bigger tank as he gets bigger. He started glass surfing a couple days ago. I've tried a large (35-40% water change). No one else in the tank is having any issues. I have a magnificent fox face (yes I know he will need a bigger tank at some point too but he's still only a couple inches. I have a pair of clowns that stay in the other corner of the tank and Mandarin. Numerous cleanup crew as I'm fighting a little bit of algae.

The Hippo tang has been glass surfing mostly in one corner of the tank. He's an extremely active fish so I'm curious if this is just him being him or if he's starting to stress because the tank is too small? I wouldn't think so because he's only 3-4 inches in a 48 inch tank. I did switch the type of nori I feed around the time this happened so maybe he's searching for the good stuff I used to feed as he doesn't show much interest in the purple nori that I switched to because the lfs only had the purple. (I used to feed the green sea veggies) He still seems fat and well fed to me and there is a ton of algae around for him to eat if he's hungry.

Before anyone asks, yes I'm buying a house with room for a bigger tank within the year. He will have a 6ft tank when I move into the new house. If the tank is already too small, will he last that long or do I need to rehome him. He grew much faster than the LFS said he was going to. They said I had at least 2 or 3 years until he outgrew the tank.

Parameters:
Temp fluctuates between 78 and 79
Ph fluctuates between 7.9 and 8.2 with an average of 8.07
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 8 (I aim for between 5 and 10)
Phosphate - 0.04 (This is dosed to keep if from bottoming out)
Alk - 8.5 (I like to keep this around 9 but something has been sucking my alk for the last couple weeks and I haven't dialed in the doser yet)
Calc - 400 (I haven't figured out where is best for my tank yet but 400 isn't abnormal)
Mag - 1450 (I haven't figured out where is best for my tank yet but 1450 also isn't abnormal)

Lights are on from 10am to 9pm with an included hour ramp on both ends (I know this is probably a lot but I like to look at my fish tank all day)
Par is around 100 - 250 in the tank
I have 2 nero 5s running at 50% on random flow and a nero 3 on 10% (just to get rid of a dead spot in the tank)
My desk is in the background of the video and I sit at it pretty much all day so he should be used to me by now and he didn't seem too afraid when I was videoing him from 5 or 6 feet away but when I moved up to the glass he went and hid as he usually does

My fox face and him used to share a home in the tank but not as much now because he spends more time swimming around and glass surfing. I haven't seen any aggression toward the hippo other than the self-defense kinda "hey your getting too crazy. Settle down" where he shows him his spines and then the hippo just swims away

He does seem to breath significantly heavier than most fish I've kept but he's been that way since I got him

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is he just stressed with the tank? Possible disease? Anything I can do to calm him down?
Glass surfing is either an escape from intimidation or self enjoyment. Yes a fush can be bored and offering seaweed/nori in a clip can divert its attention
Other would be lowering white light intensity and even cardboard against glass to reduce reflection
Assure it’s lips aren’t getting rubbed raw

OP
OP
S

Spectuhcle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new additions, I dip my corals but I don't really have quarantine.

As soon as I change the lights they hide which I assume is normal

The white things in the tank are particulates there aren't any spots on the actual fish that I can see

Dory.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-15.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-18.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-23.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-27.jpg

Attachments

• video_2024-05-12_14-32-11.mp4
    2.8 MB
  • video_2024-05-12_14-32-31.mp4
    2.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new additions, I dip my corals but I don't really have quarantine.

As soon as I change the lights they hide which I assume is normal

The white things in the tank are particulates there aren't any spots on the actual fish that I can see

Dory.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-15.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-18.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-23.jpg photo_2024-05-12_14-32-27.jpg

The fish looks nice and fat, your tank isn't too small for it (yet). Glass surfing as a behavior needs to be managed through manipulating the fish's environment, but different tricks work for different fish. I've heard of a variety of management techniques: Placing a black sheet of construction paper on the outside of the tank where the action is. I've also heard of people trying mirrors and white paper the same way. You can also try changing the water flow, the location of the nori, or even placing obstacles (rocks) in the area. In the end, you may just need to ignore it though, as these techniques don't always work.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a common size where I would need to upgrade the tank. 5 or 6 inches maybe?
I’ve got to chime in, and I think I speak for Regal, Hippo Tang owners. You have a most unusual fish with a personality you will never cease to be amazed by. I might be wrong, but just enjoy the goofy character that will be fine in your tank till you upgrade in your new home. Mine sleeps sideways under a rock and scans
IMG_6652.jpeg
the glass, breaks up disruptions, all kind of things. Yours look perfect and you worry if he’s not quirky!
Debra

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there a common size where I would need to upgrade the tank. 5 or 6 inches maybe?
Ive had these fish is a 135g at 5" comfortably along with many tangs. The tank you have should be ok for quite some time. Key is to maintain good water quality and diet. Mine is at 8+ inches which is not a common size in a 10' long tank. Typical size I see considered large is 6"

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back