hologymnosus rhodonotus - orange stripe pencil wrasse aka red cigar wrasse aka who knows what wrasse

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont need another fish. Im fully stocked in both my 250g display and my coral raceways but I couldn't say no. Haven't seen one so I had to have it.

I have searched a bit around the forums here and also google. not a whole lot on him so wanted to ask, give me the details on this. I have read in a few places it gets 12" ish. Will go after inverts which isnt a big deal to me. ill just keep replacing as needed. anything else I need to know. He is eating good as we speak and about 4inch long at this point.

(not my picture but this is exactly what he looks like)
newfish2.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont need another fish. Im fully stocked in both my 250g display and my coral raceways but I couldn't say no. Haven't seen one so I had to have it.

I have searched a bit around the forums here and also google. not a whole lot on him so wanted to ask, give me the details on this. I have read in a few places it gets 12" ish. Will go after inverts which isnt a big deal to me. ill just keep replacing as needed. anything else I need to know. He is eating good as we speak and about 4inch long at this point.

(not my picture but this is exactly what he looks like)
newfish2.jpg
I haven’t seen these before but I can try and give you some background. That one there is a juvenile. The female and male look completely different. It is closely related to the genus Coris (unlike the wrasse often named the yellow coris wrasse which is far more distantly related to Coris wrasse) which is a somewhat common wrasse in the hobby and a very common genus in the wild.

I find Coris wrasse to be fairly placid for a wrasse of their size but that’s still not peaceful. Expect aggression to increase as it grows though. I would also consider your rock work as Coris wrasse are flippers and this one may be too.

Sorry that’s all I know. Cool fish though.

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen these before but I can try and give you some background. That one there is a juvenile. The female and male look completely different. It is closely related to the genus Coris (unlike the wrasse often named the yellow coris wrasse which is far more distantly related to Coris wrasse) which is a somewhat common wrasse in the hobby and a very common genus in the wild.

I find Coris wrasse to be fairly placid for a wrasse of their size but that’s still not peaceful. Expect aggression to increase as it grows though. I would also consider your rock work as Coris wrasse are flippers and this one may be too.

Sorry that’s all I know. Cool fish though.
I have a yellow Coris. This actually makes sense now looking at the two

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow Coris. This actually makes sense now looking at the two
I said the yellow coris is not related. The yellow coris is not a Coris wrasse it is a Halichoeres wrasse. It’s a really stupid misnaming.

Your wrasse is much closer related to true coris wrasse.

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said the yellow coris is not related. The yellow coris is not a Coris wrasse it is a Halichoeres wrasse. It’s a really stupid misnaming.

Your wrasse is much closer related to true coris wrasse.
sorry I misread.

Hmm ok. I don’t know what I should do now lol.
Sps dominate reef. Hmm

Back