Holy Grail Fish

Do you own your holy grail fish/es??

• Total voters

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my dream tang gang (Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Gem Tang and Whitetail Bristletooth Tang) and getting all to coexist in my 4 footer is my holy grail (HG).

40EA4B8D-DF3C-4003-B627-D128C57F082E.jpeg

Another HG, is to have the Mccullochi Clown pair hosting a pink carpet. CHECKED!

735DABEC-2693-4F0B-8136-A29CF8BB69FE.jpeg

Couple of HG for consideration that may happen in the future…

- Feminine Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses femininus)

- Japanese Pygmy Angel (Centropyge interruptus)

Last edited:

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my dream tang gang (Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Gem Tang and Whitetail Bristletooth Tang) and getting all to coexist in my 4 footer is my holy grail (HG).

Another HG, is to have the Mccullochi Clown pair hosting a pink carpet. CHECKED!

Another one of my Holy Grail CHECKED today!
DB9A03C2-D2B4-4F9D-86BA-08E30BD4BE5E.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep adding to my holy grails…
My most recent addition has been a Centropyge multicolor but I don’t have the tank for it (I plan to eventually try find a tank to fit one though).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I’m a fish over coral guy!
I know right! While I love my acros, if I had a tank full of established colonies of Acropora I wouldn’t mind the nipping every so often. I’d also love to have the Angel in a tank you could just look at from top down.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! While I love my acros, if I had a tank full of established colonies of Acropora I wouldn’t mind the nipping every so often. I’d also love to have the Angel in a tank you could just look at from top down.
I’m with you on this! I’m starting to grow SPS colonies as we speak for my final grail fish…the Japanese Pygmy Angel (Centropyge interruptus). IMHO the tank isn’t complete unless it has angels and butterflies.

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t been on here in a awhile but here’s a few from my collection, no longer have Chaoti Wrasse though. But, the Hawaiian Flame Fairy hands down is my baby!

Attachments

• 1F2972DC-BCFE-4F7C-86E7-3C14CB9ADBCE.jpeg
    1F2972DC-BCFE-4F7C-86E7-3C14CB9ADBCE.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 57

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow! amazing how did you get those tangs to coexist in a 4' tank

I have a 6' tank and want to do this.

was this your first attempt?
what did you learn from your experience?

I really love that carpet anemone with the clown hosting. I remember back in the day (late 80's) my brother taking a book from the library with the fishes from the Great Barrier Reef. I remember a pair of tomato clowns hosting a carpet anemone. Amazing!!!

I really like the idea of isolating the anemone. I have always avoided them because they travel around the tank. How do you keep it from traveling on the side glass?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2F20AF78-DC30-4D00-B312-7ACEF72A501B.jpeg
Here’s mine. It’s a Juvenile Queen Angel so far she has settled in QT just fine and eating like a pig.
I’ve got the emperor and blue ring.

Queen is my next fish to start hunting for .
I’d love a blue face but I think I might be getting close to running out of aquarium for large fish

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted large angelfish . Especially a emperor but I decided watching one grow from juv would be better.

Next is a blue ring angelfish which I have had my eyes on for a few weeks . And decided to take him home last weekend.

The only other one I’m looking for now is a queen angel of blue face .

Attachments

• 7AB775B2-AA69-4EAD-9599-76AD4FBBF371.jpeg
    7AB775B2-AA69-4EAD-9599-76AD4FBBF371.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 36

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep adding to my holy grails…
My most recent addition has been a Centropyge multicolor but I don’t have the tank for it (I plan to eventually try find a tank to fit one though).
Well, I have the dream tank of 3’x16”x1’ and so far out of my holy grails I have;
A trio of Pseudocheilinops ataenia

…and nothing else. I’m currently hunting for a Pair of Wetmorella tanakai. Last thing I absolutely want is either of these;
Centropyge multicolor (The absolute dream)
Paracentropyge venusta (If I can’t get the multicolor)
Paracentropyge multifasciata (If I can’t get any of the above two)

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! amazing how did you get those tangs to coexist in a 4' tank

I have a 6' tank and want to do this.

was this your first attempt?
what did you learn from your experience?

I really love that carpet anemone with the clown hosting. I remember back in the day (late 80's) my brother taking a book from the library with the fishes from the Great Barrier Reef. I remember a pair of tomato clowns hosting a carpet anemone. Amazing!!!

I really like the idea of isolating the anemone. I have always avoided them because they travel around the tank. How do you keep it from traveling on the side glass?
Thanks for the compliments!

So far this is the second attempt with the above sets of 5 tangs in the order of firstly PBlueT, PT, WTB, YT and GT last. The first sets of 4 tangs namely PBlueT, PBrownT, PT, GT) got wiped out total when my soccer ball sized black widow BTA decided to challenge my NEPTUNE WAV.

In both instances, PBlueT is the fish tang in, just because thats the "must have" tang for me, and its the one that's most likely to get ICK when stress by fellow tangs.

Being the boss of the tang, the PBlueT or any aggressive resident tang gets the time out box or the sump when a new tang is added. And they don't get to join the display till the new Tang is at home in the display usually for a week. When the resident tang(s) do rejoined the display, usually I put mirrors in place to put them in check, knowing that there are others of their similar kind. Typically they will be more "interested" in the mirror then the new fish. I found if I were to skip the mirror, there is a fair chance that PBT being the alpha, still pays a fair bit of attention to the new tang. Well...thats my secret to adding tang as and when I feel like. though it helps to have a range of fish traps around.

BTW, I do cycle through Dr Gill's Medicated Food diligently when a new fish is added, whether QT or not. ie, 2 weeks of anti parasite, follow by 2 weeks of anti bacterial, and lastly 2 weeks of deworm. My UV is turned on 24/7 at protozoa killing flow rate during this whole period. And I do feed heavy in addition with frozen mysis/brine shrimp, TDO pellets laced with TM LIPOVIT.

Carpets anemones can the put in placed with proper placed egg crate barriers, its the BTA that like to roam. I'm relocating the BTA. I've reintroduced an 1" sand apparently that totally stop the carpet from glass climbing.

Happy reefing!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back