OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS does not charge for a pre-label shipment but will if you are shipping on your own created label.
[/QUOTE]
I tried to schedule a home pickup. They want roughly $20.00 to pick it up. Have to give a CC to schedule it. I don't drive due to severe panic attacks. Have to pay someone to bring it to the UPS store. Either way I am out $20. Not much but very frustrating.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Here is a very very helpful hint, just breath. Nothing is ruined, no dream is crushed, it’s just delayed, a week Or Two. Yes it’s frustrating but if this upsets you this much,
We will have to teach you how to relax because this is only the beginning. Please know that even with right equipment things in the reef (life), don’t go well. If you can’t handle and control that, yes you could lose your dream tank then. Things happen and is it fair no, but it can be fixed. Setting up a reef tank is stressful and hard. Which is why people come here for help. There is no reason to worry or be upset when there is noting you can do at the moment anyway. Enjoy your holiday, and just breath. Yes it’s hard not to think about it, but it could be a good time to perfect the rock scape, (don’t think it’s wet yet), think of how things will be after it’s wet because that tank won’t move.
happy new year

Sarah, I'm breathing and relaxing. thanks... that helped. Be well.;)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to schedule a home pickup. They want roughly $20.00 to pick it up. Have to give a CC to schedule it. I don't drive due to severe panic attacks. Have to pay someone to bring it to the UPS store. Either way I am out $20. Not much but very frustrating.
After a couple thousand on equipment, don’t let $20 get you down. I know it stinks, but this hobby is worth it.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual problem I am dealing with is how will I deal with major issues that require something I have to order online and receive quickly some form of medication. I live in the middle of basically nowhere. The camel is located down the street so to speak. I also work in the customer service industry and get very frustrated when someone doesn't fix the issue fairly. I have to rethink the whole concept now. I believe it is just too dangerous to do here. I would be destroyed if an animal died because I couldn't get an item on time to help them.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Whenever I have a return pickup I just wait until I have another scheduled delivery and set the package on the porch with a note that says UPS pickup and they will take it then. Saves a trip to town as my nearest UPS is 20 miles away.

As far as needing medications. I keep several on hand at all times for my quarantine tank. You dont want to wait until there needed to realize its going to be days before you can get them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I have a return pickup I just wait until I have another scheduled delivery and set the package on the porch with a note that says UPS pickup and they will take it then. Saves a trip to town as my nearest UPS is 20 miles away.
[/QUOTE]
If it wasn't a $1300 item I would do that. That was also the original plan, but the second person who actually followed through, didn't offer that option. It is also below zero in snowing for the next couple of weeks. Dragging it to the store a mile away will be painful, but that is probably what I will wind up doing.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual problem I am dealing with is how will I deal with major issues that require something I have to order online and receive quickly some form of medication. I live in the middle of basically nowhere. The camel is located down the street so to speak. I also work in the customer service industry and get very frustrated when someone doesn't fix the issue fairly. I have to rethink the whole concept now. I believe it is just too dangerous to do here. I would be destroyed if an animal died because I couldn't get an item on time to help them.
The best solution for this is prophylactic treatment. Qt all fish with copper and prazi, and keep some other meds on hand. It’s a good idea even if you have an lfs nearby.

Last edited:

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s okay, trust me. I live in a 3rd world country & most things take 3-4 weeks to ship here from the normal world (and 2 out of 10 times it’s screwed up & have to ship it back, order it again, etc. So it takes another couple weeks). I’m still able to pull of a pretty decent reef tank, so don’t worry, it’ll work out. You also have ebay and amazon, you don’t need to stick to one exact store if you don’t want to. Things like this happen (not only in the reefer world), and while it is totally frustrating, you shouldn’t allow stuff like this take over your life/dreams. It’s a learning curve, but eventually you’ll let things like this go & don’t want to solve it that very day. It’ll be sorted somehow in a few days/weeks anyway. On the other hand, am I reading this correctly that the current main problem is that you don’t yet have a fuge? Because you could totally start the system without it, sort the issue in the upcomming weeks, and then add it later on when everything gets sorted. Once again, don’t sweat it. It’s a slow hobby, most things take weeks if not months to happen (no good happens fast afterall in life:)), so you’ll have plenty time to source the stuff needed to sort any problem down the road. You could also prepare for lots of things in advance down the road & get a couple things to sit on your shelf instead of the dealers.
I also know that the world is often not a fair place, and you sometimes have to accept how things have turned out, and live with it, swallow it. If it’s shipping something back at own expense even if you think it is very unfair, then that. You’ll be burning money on useless / falsly advertised / snake oils/ things in this hobby in the long run, so you’ll have to try to learn/accept this. Anyway, try to focus on something positive for now for a day or two to clear your mind, sometimes that helps with these frustrating situations. If the place was BRS, I’m pretty sure they’ll sort it out for you.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS does not charge for a pre-label shipment but will if you are shipping on your own created label.
[/QUOTE]

Hello,

If your upset about 20 dollars, wait until your 120 Naso tang dies, or you lose a 200 dollar sps coral that rtn for no reason. If you think this is hard, wait till you hit the section of life. I have never used brs (because I don’t shop online that’s it), but they are very well respected and make things right. It’s a national world holiday nobody can do anything atm. Venting is good, but won’t help if you can’t gain control.

I definitely understand panic attacks and professionally speaking if they are this bad, you may want some help. This stress is harmful to you in several ways, one is blood pressure. We would rather have you around than your heart explode.

Reef tanks are very relaxing and we use them to calm children adults, to take their minds off of things, to relax them. Your tank will do this also, but patience it’s a very slow hobby, and nothing happens fast at all.

so you don’t have more delays tell us what you have, every thing. Are you using rodi water making your saltwater etc have you ever done it before, because watching videos and reading is not the same at all. Do you have test kits, heater, lights etc. also remember rocks. Are you using live rock or dry? It’s important to know these things. You realize it takes about 8 weeks for a tank to cycle, and that’s three ugly stages. It’s where you can put nothing in but turbo snails, crabs clean up crew. Once you have good parameters no ammonia, no nitrite, then add ONE fish like (well in this example 3) blue green chromies, or one clown and wait. After about 90 days add another fish (have your fish list made out this may be a good time to do just that). If you want coral start with a soft coral even an easy lps. Then wait and make sure the water is stable. Make sure parameters don’t move. See how they adjust to light and flow etc.
also huge hint DO NOT BUY LIVE fish online. Where you live and possible issues with delivery will be a nightmare. Plus it’s way too cold where you are at. Plus how are you going to quarantine your fish? Your lfs may be more reliable and you can actually see what your buying and that it’s healthy. Do you know what to look for such as marine ick marine velvet, etc, is the fish scraping in the tank. Do you know how to tell if a coral is stressed or looks happy then stress when you acclimate it?

No you may say, it’s okay. Because none of us did either and yeah I lost some fish (expensive ones also), I have lost corals. I had to recently move and moved my 240 gallon tank. I lost 20% of my corals easily 1,000 dollars worth. But it’s growing again. I lost my Naso tang that I had for five years no idea why. Now is the time to make your dream come true and breath. Get knowledge, know your equipment, study your lights, know the modes of your wave makers etc.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't a $1300 item I would do that. That was also the original plan, but the second person who actually followed through, didn't offer that option. It is also below zero in snowing for the next couple of weeks. Dragging it to the store a mile away will be painful, but that is probably what I will wind up doing.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Having visited Yellowstone I'm sure most don't understand the remoteness of it. Especially seeing as their is snow in your forecast for the next 10 days straight and 7° temps. It's not quite as easy as hoping in your car and taking a quick trip to town.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s okay, trust me. I live in a 3rd world country & most things take 3-4 weeks to ship here from the normal world. I’m still able to pull of a pretty decent reef tank, so don’t worry, it’ll work out. You also have ebay and amazon, you don’t need to stick to one exact store if you don’t want to. Things like this happen (not only in the reefer world), and while it is totally frustrating, you shouldn’t allow stuff like this take over your life/dreams. It’s a learning curve, but eventually you’ll let things like this go & don’t want to solve it that very day. It’ll be sorted somehow in a few days/weeks anyway. On the other hand, am I reading this correctly that the current main problem is that you don’t yet have a fuge? Because you could totally start the system without it, sort the issue in the upcomming weeks, and then add it later on when everything gets sorted. Once again, don’t sweat it. It’s a slow hobby, most things take weeks if not months to happen (no good happens fast afterall in life:)), so you’ll have plenty time to source the stuff needed to sort any problem down the road. You could also prepare for lots of things in advance down the road & get a couple things to sit on your shelf instead of the dealers.
I also know that the world is often not a fair place, and you sometimes have to accept how things have turned out, and live with it, swallow it. If it’s shipping something back at own expense even if you think it is very unfair, then that. You’ll be burning money on useless / falsly advertised / snake oils/ things in this hobby in the long run, so you’ll have to try to learn/accept this. Anyway, try to focus on something positive for now for a day or two to clear your mind, sometimes that helps with these frustrating situations. If the place was BRS, I’m pretty sure they’ll sort it out for you.
I was going to use the tank as display fuge later on. I am going slow and decided that the tank would be a good starting point as a FOWLR tank while waiting to get the actual tank. Plan was getting 120 gallon wet in November. Using smaller tank as a QT an then grow out tank, and ultimately as a display fuge with a mangrove.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use the tank as display fuge later on. I am going slow and decided that the tank would be a good starting point as a FOWLR tank while waiting to get the actual tank. Plan was getting 120 gallon wet in November. Using smaller tank as a QT an then grow out tank, and ultimately as a display fuge with a mangrove.
I’d say BRS will jump in and sort it for you in the upcomming days, maybe next week, no problems here. As for the panic thingy. I also have it, sometimes (lots of to be honest) can’t even drive because of it, so I very much feel you. I can’t say this hobby helps it, but professional help is very well worth it to learn how to manage it - it makes living more comfortable. Patience is also key with that one:)
Best wishes!

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say BRS will jump in and sort it for you in the upcomming days, maybe next week, no problems here. As for the panic thingy. I also have it, sometimes (lots of to be honest) can’t even drive because of it, so I very much feel you. I can’t say this hobby helps it, but professional help is very well worth it to learn how to manage it - it makes living more comfortable. Patience is also key with that one:)
Best wishes!
My psychologist recommended it and supports it. Fly fishing is great but can’t do it in the winter. Or should I say I won’t. 40 below zero is a tad bit too cold to be outside fishing. This is not the first major setback. My cabin that I rent has 15 foot joists at 26 inch centers. Like walking on a trampoline. I figured it out and fixed it. My landlord said no to any kind of pet including fish. I solved that by showing my plans to protect the walls and floors. Plus countless other problems mostly related to being remote and extreme weather in an old place. Cooling was the craziest along with ventilation. This last issue just might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My psychologist recommended it and supports it. Fly fishing is great but can’t do it in the winter. Or should I say I won’t. 40 below zero is a tad bit too cold to be outside fishing. This is not the first major setback. My cabin that I rent has 15 foot joists at 26 inch centers. Like walking on a trampoline. I figured it out and fixed it. My landlord said no to any kind of pet including fish. I solved that by showing my plans to protect the walls and floors. Plus countless other problems mostly related to being remote and extreme weather in an old place. Cooling was the craziest along with ventilation. This last issue just might be the straw that breaks the camels back.
It’s awesome that you’re working on it! See? You’ve already sorted larger issues than a wrong shipment:) this one is way easier than what you had with your cabin. What the last straw is totally depends on you and not others, so if you already went this far, it would be a waste and - excuse my words - a stupid move to throw the towel at this point. So please don’t! Put this aside ‘till the store reacts, and I’m sure you’ll manage it & keep the dream going!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’re on the right track already! All tanks are basically FOWLR until we start adding corals :)

Go very slowly and get the basics down. I know that’s hard to do. Every single one of us want to do things faster than we are actually able to do. Learn from our mistakes! Come on here often. Listen to various opinions and then decide which one is right for you and your tank.

I don’t live as remotely as you but I do have to order practically everything on line. If you want reputable on line vendors for fish or coral that deliver to more remote places just give me a shout.

Just get it through your head now that things are going to go wrong. It’s a learning curve and unfortunately we are learning on living things. The failures can be devastating but the successes totally make up for them.

You will have problems. R2R people have solutions!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This should not be a reason to stop your build. Go for it!

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year! I'm starting back up myself and am very I'm sorry you are having some frustrations. Don't give up, man. If your 2 grand in, you're in. Relax. This is supposed to be fun - the challenges are just that - no game is fun if its too easy. Get your tank, dude!

This gets new car expensive fast - so just go slow. I'm about a month in. I had to return a tank, a stand, heater, salt, filter, and buy all new stuff again. I made 6 trips in one day just to get my tank, stand, canopy, sump, pump, salt... You get the idea. The original tank wasnt reef ready and there wasnt room for a sump. Now, I'm about $3200+ in at this point - I havent even begun to cure my rock or cycle my tank. I went 120g 4 ft tank. I don't have a skimmer, lights, or circulation pumps yet - wont need them for about 8 more weeks. Its gonn be another 3g in a month or two when I'm cycled for that stuff and there's no coral or fish in that cost. Its gonn take a long time to populate a 120 g. too. So, take it slow. Going fast will just end up with a reef that won't make it very long. Go slow, do it right. We all have to deal with mistakes of others and others have to deal with our mistakes sometimes. It is frustrating but thats no reason to quit. Vent, yes, but not quit.

The RO system in my house is a mess -so I just had to purchase a new 6 step system or I cant even fill this 120g. It sucks but I can either deal with it $$$ or deal without water in my tank.

Do it right. Don't worry about the money so much. This is an expensive hobby and can is a demanding one. Enjoy the ride. A wrong delivery is nothing compared to a tank crash and fish loss. Try to keep it positive. We're here for ya, man.

Happy New Year!

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to order nearly everything online because I am blind. There have been a few mix ups here and there (businesses are run by people who sometimes make mistakes), but I've never run into a problem I couldn't resolve with the company. I know it can be frustrating, but I have found that in reefing (and dealing with customer service) slow, calm, and steady wins the race. You can do this. Just take it one step at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back